Found Safe NY - Iona, 51, & Emily Costello, 14, Greenport, 30 March 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone know if or what hotel they checked into?

it hasn't been mentioned if they checked into a hotel or not.

they may have left the city soon after arriving. as le has mentioned, they could be anywhere.

I wonder what the daughter's friends know about what she planned to do for spring break, it seems like most 14 year old girls would be talking about what they were planning to do, especially if they were going to be missing the last day of class before spring break.

Where can they be??? Everyday it becomes more and more concerning.

I just looked at Emily's school. Pictures of the summer school and activities. Look at the far left and click on Summer Term.@Ross Wow.

http://www.ross.org/summerterm

I wonder what the daughter's friends know about what she planned to do for spring break, it seems like most 14 year old girls would be talking about what they were planning to do, especially if they were going to be missing the last day of class before spring break.

So true. I bet someone knows something.

I know, Trigger. I am afraid for them.

As far as paper trail, it will be tough. Who would have access to her banking and finances? No one. Computers? No one. LE will have to subpoena records and that will take time. Ugh.

At this point (it's much too long now), perhaps will or have hired a private investigator.

Can you elaborate on your reason for mentioning the comments? When I just checked the comments (2 pm Eastern 4/18/15), I saw nothing that seemed strange, except for a few people wondering why there wasn't more news coverage. Is that what you were referring to? Was there something more telling yesterday? Simply curious, as I'm a big believer in local comment sections. For all the sniping, backstabbing and veiled references, you never know when someone's going to blow the lid off something in one of those unwieldy threads.

Also, what cruise ships left out of the port after the time they parked? They could have done a few nights in NYC and taken a cruise?

<snip>

Southold police Chief of Police Martin Flatley told Daily Mail Online that his force do not expect any foul play.

He said that he does not currently have any hard evidence to point to the mother and daughter being in danger.

<snip>

It is not believed that the Costellos owned any property in New York, according to Chief Flatley, though authorities are now looking at a wider circle of relatives that may know about their movements in the city.

A spokesperson for the NYPD said that city police are working in conjunction with Southold officers, but have not yet received any sightings of the mother and daughter.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...tml?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

It just seems odd to me why Iona picked Emily up on the 30th when school wasn't officially on recess until the 31st, technically, she missed a day of school. If you're going into the City and live nearby, what's the rush to get into the City on the 30th when you have almost 2 weeks the day after to vacation?

it hasn't been mentioned if they checked into a hotel or not.

they may have left the city soon after arriving. as le has mentioned, they could be anywhere.

I have taken buses, trains, ferries and cruises out of NYC. I would never park on 42nd st for long term. Makes no sense.

To go to the theater, yes. To go out of town, no.

I keep coming back to this. While I am all about parking where it makes sense, I wonder if she parked there b/c she knew the area and the garage better than other areas? I know people who will go out of their way to stick with the thing that seems most simple to them, even if it is not the most practical.

Are there any departure points within a walkable area? Perhaps if they were going on a packaged trip, it would explain needing to leave by a certain day (thus, taking Emily out a day early)? I keep thinking of the coach tours that depart from different points around the city and not necessarily from the bus and train stations.

What are the hotels in the immediate walking distance of the parking garage like? Are they valet or self-park? Just wondering if it would be typical to stay in a hotel in the area but park in a self-park garage and bring the suitcases around themselves rather than valet or at least drop the bags at the hotel before parking.

&#8220;She did go away on a trip as planned, but she hasn&#8217;t returned in time,&#8221; said Mr. Flatley [Southold Police Chief Martin Flatley]. &#8220;They are concerned, but there is no reason to believe there is any misconduct.&#8221;

http://suffolktimes.timesreview.com...costello-and-daughter-believed-to-be-missing/

BBM

Wonder if LE knows what hotel they were staying at. Where were they last seen?

I wonder what " a trip as planned" means. Was the trip in to New York the plan or was it a trip elsewhere?

I would think so, too.

DH actually works at Ross and friends of mine have rode horses with Iona. They are a pretty well-known local family. My hope is that they just needed to get away for a little bit.

Since they had their suitcases, if they had planned to stay at a hotel in the city then wouldn't there most likely have been some kind of reservation made in advance?

DH actually works at Ross and friends of mine have rode horses with Iona. They are a pretty well-known local family. My hope is that they just needed to get away for a little bit.

I would love to know what the school's position is on this. I would imagine they won't say due to privacy issues. Can your husband share with us what the general level of concern is amongst the staff, his colleagues, etc? Is this something people at the school are discussing?

It's interesting to me that NYPD isn't handling this investigation but that Suffolk County is in charge. I know that the pair live on LI. It just seems that it would be complicated for NYPD to have various jurisdictions in their city running their own investigations on missing person cases instead of pulling all of the information together themselves. I suppose they work in conjunction with each other.

Has Emily's SM accounts been checked? As people have already posted, there is pretty much no way that a 14 year old girl wouldn't have told her friends of her spring break plans nor posted anything about her travels.

What could have happened?

Can you elaborate on your reason for mentioning the comments? When I just checked the comments (2 pm Eastern 4/18/15), I saw nothing that seemed strange, except for a few people wondering why there wasn't more news coverage. Is that what you were referring to? Was there something more telling yesterday? Simply curious, as I'm a big believer in local comment sections. For all the sniping, backstabbing and veiled references, you never know when someone's going to blow the lid off something in one of those unwieldy threads.

It's gone now but someone said if they took their dog.

It's interesting to me that NYPD isn't handling this investigation but that Suffolk County is in charge. I know that the pair live on LI. It just seems that it would be complicated for NYPD to have various jurisdictions in their city running their own investigations on missing person cases instead of pulling all of the information together themselves. I suppose they work in conjunction with each other.

I don't know how it is working in this specific case, but in another case I followed here, the LEA from the place where she was missing *from* handled the missing persons investigation. The LEA where her vehicle was found processed that scene but deferred to the LEA from the place of her residence.

I don't know that it works like that every time and I don't know what the determining factors are, but it does work that way sometimes.

I found both of their Twitter accounts and Emily's Instagram. Nothing posted for a few weeks (all before 3/30/15). Nothing unusual.

Hmmmm. I followed one of the above links to the Southold Local news site, and wanted to see if there were any more recent articles on this, so I went to the front page of the Southold Local site and did a search for "Costello":

http://southoldlocal.com/?s=costello

I'm not trying to be cryptic, but I never remember when we're allowed to post something here if there's no person of interest (so I hope I'm not violating anything--and I swear I wasn't sleuthing anyone, just looking for updates). And I really don't think the other listed "Costello" articles have anything to do with these two being missing. But I do wonder if maybe it's some of the "possible stress" that a relative (Iona's mother, I think?) had mentioned?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back