GUILTY NY - Jeanine Cammarata, 37, teacher, didn’t show up at work, Staten Island, 30 Mar 2019 *ARRESTS*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — More than two years after the victim’s death, jury selection has begun in the trial of the man accused of slaying his estranged schoolteacher wife, a New Brighton resident, in an apparent dispute over alimony.

Michael Cammarata is charged with murder and other crimes in the death of Jeanine Cammarata, 37.

Jury selection started on Monday in state Supreme Court, St. George.

Cammarata’s girlfriend, Ayisha Egea, 44, is also charged with murder. She will be tried separately at a later date.

Cammarata, 45, faces up to 25 years to life behind bars if convicted at trial of second-degree murder.

Additional time could be tacked on if he’s also found guilty of any of the other charges against him, including evidence tampering and concealing a human corpse.

IIFXHV3775AJXJRABZZOT2Z5OE.png

Jury selection starts in murder trial of hubby accused of slaying schoolteacher wife

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Alleged spouse-killer Michael Cammarata was so incensed by his estranged wife’s demand for custody of their two kids, plus alimony and child support, that he said he “felt like he wanted to kill her,” a detective testified at trial.

Cammarata, 45, said he was “angry and enraged” by Jeanine Cammarata’s divorce papers, which sought “more money than he made” as a postal worker, testified Detective Michelle Mazza at Cammarata’s murder trial in state Supreme Court, St. George.

In fact, Cammarata, 45, said he had hit his wife “multiple times” in the chest and shoulders and pushed her onto a table as they argued in her New Brighton home in the early morning hours of March 31, 2019, Mazza testified on Tuesday and Wednesday.

However, he denied killing the 37-year-old victim, said the detective.

“He said she was alive when he left the location,” Mazza said.

Prosecutors, however, maintain Cammarata was lying.

Cammarata and the victim never had that post-sex argument in her home, as he claimed they did, contend prosecutors.

That’s because Jeanine Cammarata, a schoolteacher, was already dead, prosecutors maintain.

[…] He and Egea met her in a supermarket parking lot and entered Jeanine’s car, said Mazza.
They spoke for about two hours and argued for a bit “about what was in the (divorce) papers,” the detective recalled Cammarata as saying.

The defendant had been served the documents several days earlier.

“He said he was angry and enraged about the fact that he was going to have to pay so much money, more money than he made,” Mazza testified.

Husband on trial in S.I. teacher’s slay said he was ‘angry and enraged’ over her alimony, child support demands, detective testifies

Air freshener and smell of decay. Crime scene detective testifies about odors of storage unit where teacher’s remains were found

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Alleged spouse-killer Michael Cammarata’s rented storage unit in Arden Heights was cluttered with all kinds of things.

Big boxes and small boxes stacked haphazardly on each other.

There were bunches of bags plopped on top of boxes and also on the floor. There was even a piece or two of furniture in the middle of it all.

And off to the side, a big black garbage bag sat in a corner on the floor.

Five air fresheners were set in a semi-circle in front of the bag.

The air fresheners emitted a noticeable scent, Detective Daniel Smith told jurors on Tuesday at Cammarata’s murder trial.

So did something else: “I smelled … an odor of decay,” testified Smith.

That smell, prosecutors contend, emanated from charred remains of Jeanine Cammarata, Michael Cammarata’s estranged schoolteacher wife.

Air freshener and smell of decay. Crime scene detective testifies about odors of storage unit where teacher’s remains were found.

‘Strange’ texts and messages sent from victim’s phone take center stage at S.I. teacher slay trial

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — Jessica Pobega said he was concerned about her best friend Jeanine Cammarata after the schoolteacher’s boyfriend told her he hadn’t been able to reach her.

That was on April 1, 2019, and Pobega hadn’t spoken with Jeanine herself in several days.

‘Strange’ texts and messages sent from victim’s phone take center stage at S.I. teacher slay trial

Pay article

Estranged Husband Convicted of Killing Staten Island Teacher, Hiding Body

Officials say Jeanine Cammarata, 37, was killed by her estranged husband, Michael Cammarata and his girlfriend, Ayisha Egea, who then dumped her body in a garbage bag, surrounded by air fresheners, at a storage facility a few miles from where she lived. Jeanine Cammarata had been missing for nearly a week before her burned body turned up.

Cammarata was found guilty before a jury in state Supreme Court on all related charges, the district attorney announced Monday.

Egea will be tried separately at a later date.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — In a courtroom crowded with police, prosecutors and the victim’s family, convicted killer Michael Cammarata apologized on Wednesday for his role in the murder of his estranged schoolteacher wife, Jeanine Cammarata, two years ago.

“I just want to say I am sorry for everything that happened,” Cammarata 45, said, as he appeared to choke back tears at his sentencing hearing in state Supreme Court, St. George. “It’s a horrible thing I was involved with. The prosecutor says I don’t show remorse, but I am sorry. I really am. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about Jeanine and what happened. I’m just sorry to everyone, to the kids. They did not know their mother.”

Dramatic court video: Killer of S.I. teacher chokes back tears, says ‘I’m sorry for everything.’ Then judge hits him hard.

Nov 17, 2021 • Michael Cammarata, convicted of slaying his estranged wife, Jeanine Cammarata, in March 2019, and disposing her charred corpse into an Arden Heights storage unit is sentenced Wednesday. Nov. 17, 2021 in state Supreme Court, St. George.

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. — In a courtroom crowded with police, prosecutors and the victim’s family, convicted killer Michael Cammarata apologized on Wednesday for his role in the murder of his estranged schoolteacher wife, Jeanine Cammarata, two years ago.

“I just want to say I am sorry for everything that happened,” Cammarata 45, said, as he appeared to choke back tears at his sentencing hearing in state Supreme Court, St. George. “It’s a horrible thing I was involved with. The prosecutor says I don’t show remorse, but I am sorry. I really am. There’s not a day that goes by that I don’t think about Jeanine and what happened. I’m just sorry to everyone, to the kids. They did not know their mother.”

Dramatic court video: Killer of S.I. teacher chokes back tears, says ‘I’m sorry for everything.’ Then judge hits him hard.

Nov 17, 2021 • Michael Cammarata, convicted of slaying his estranged wife, Jeanine Cammarata, in March 2019, and disposing her charred corpse into an Arden Heights storage unit is sentenced Wednesday. Nov. 17, 2021 in state Supreme Court, St. George.

Judge read him the riot act with his sentences to run consecutively. Good.

Ayisha Egea, who had admitted to acting in concert with her boyfriend, Michael Cammarata, to kill his estranged schoolteacher wife three years ago, lost her bid to have her sentence slashed.

Justice Mario F. Mattei ruled on Friday that Egea did not qualify for a sentence reduction under the Domestic Violence Survivors Justice Act.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hiyaworld
Back