Found Deceased NY - Jennifer Ramsaran, 36, Chenango County, 11 Dec 2012 - #13

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am beginning to think the defence is hoping to divert any jury's impressions of betrayal and dishonesty onto the person not on trial for murder. GR is going to be presented as the open, honest one who 'fessed' up to the affair and was always open and honest with the police. He will rely on the things that other people have obviously found so attractive about him to impress the jury too.

I don't think it will work, but I think that's what they will try for.

I don't think they'll go that way. Are jurors really going to buy the relatively petite girlfriend over the muscular, controlling husband? And it's putting too many eggs in one basket. If the girlfriend is the only alternative, Remy loses. I also have to think she has an alibi.

My guess, from what's been made public, is that Remy's lawyers present a straightforward reasonable doubt defense. They'll hint at a random stranger, maybe online relationships and tell jurors "We really don't know what happened to Jennifer Ramsaran. And the state certainly hasn't proved beyond a reasonable doubt that she was murdered by her husband and the father of her children." If there are weaknesses in the forensic evidence tying Remy to the crime - and we've gotten the sense there may be - the defense will do its best to make that clear.

I also don't think Remy will be given the chance to impress the jury. I doubt he'll testify. Too risky. If he takes the stand, the case is no longer about reasonable doubt, but about whether or not the jury believed his testimony.

Remy has a number of things going against him, after all, not the least of which is his race in an upstate county where the jury may be all white. And we've seen him in the TV interviews. How many people following the case were convinced Remy did it after seeing his odd, angry responses on the local news? Under pressure, it seems to be the resentful, self-obsessed control-freak that comes out, rather than the charmer. The defense isn't going to want jurors to see that.

Of course Remy may be just the kind of defendant who insists on testifying, thinking if he can just make his sales pitch to the jurors, they'll buy it. His lawyers will advise against putting him on the stand, in that case, but he has the right if he insists. That will leave him open to cross-examination, though, and I don't think he'll do well.

Of course, maybe he'll take a plea at the last minute and save everyone the time, money and heartache of a trial.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Defe...isqualify-DA-from-murder-trial-219444401.html

Norwich, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The defense attorney for Ganesh 'Remy' Ramsaran, 38, of New Berlin filed a motion to disqualify the Chenango County District Attorney from prosecuting the murder trial.

In court documents, Ackerman claimed Ramsaran would be at an disadvantage due to the Assistant District Attorney Micheal Ferraresse being involved in civil court proceedings with Eileen Sayles in the past.

Sayles was having an affair with Ramsaran.

According to court papers, Ferraresse questioned Sayles on her relationship with Ramsaran months before Jennifer's disappearance.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Argument continues over motion to disqualify DA from prosecuting alleged murderer http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/...qualify-DA-from-prosecuting-alleged-murderer/

The defendant stands accused of murdering his wife on or about December 11, 2012, in their home located at 449 Sheff Road in the Town of New Berlin. First reported missing by her husband on the same day she is alleged to have been murdered, the search for the missing Ramsaran lasted for seventy-seven days before she was found. On Feb. 26, 2012, the late Ramsaran’s body was located, exposed to the elements down an embankment adjacent to Center Road in the Town of Pharsalia. Following an investigation by the Chenango County Sheriff’s Office, her husband was arrested on May 17 and a criminal complaint formally accusing him of murder was filed.

In a court paper received on July 17, Ackerman claims his client will be placed at an unfair disadvantage because Chenango County Assistant District Attorney Micheal Ferraresse was previously involved in civil court proceedings with Eileen Sayles. The court paper claims Sayles was party to an extramarital affair with Ramsaran and that she will be a material witness should the case go to trial.

Defense says Sayles is a material witness and the ADA's knowledge of the situation is substantial risk to defense questioning.

I’m not sure I understand the legal argument here.

Why is that a substantial risk to defense questioning?

Defense may ask a question about the affair that opens up a can of worms for GR? And an ADA (who is under client/attorney privilege anyway) already knows the answer right from the horse’s mouth .. so ES can’t say she ‘doesn’t remember’ or ‘can’t recall’ .. because an ADA remembers and recalls what she said?

And how does changing prosecutor change that situation?

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Defe...isqualify-DA-from-murder-trial-219444401.html

Grr this is frustrating. Just admit what you did, you weasel.

Wouldn't that be great? Sparing Jen's family a torturous trial sounds more than ideal at this point. Prison life isn't faring well for GR, so I doubt he'll give in, even a little.

I think he'll be insistent on taking the stand, even against his lawyers' wishes. I think he's that cocky and believes he can charmingly convince a jury of his innocence, especially if the case is strongly built on circumstantial evidence.

Every loved one has a terrible time when a family member goes missing and is found deceased. But I can't help thinking Jennifer's family have suffered more than most, and more than a lot of people could have borne. I hope the support for them and for Jennifer helps a little during the trial. I am sure the support will be there, stronger than ever. I think about them a lot.

The care and concern and bravery that Jennifer has inspired really is a wonderful thing, and I can see people are still working so hard for her on the FB page. Early on I sometimes doubted things would ever get to this stage, but now I think that what is being done to support Jennifer's loved ones is so fitting for Jennifer herself - people are creating, making, baking - overcoming any problems, working together.

The trial is a necessary evil but I am looking forward to it. Because the sooner it comes, the sooner it is over. And I am hoping the subject of it will just fade into imprisoned obscurity and lovely Jennifer will be center stage for evermore. Untouchable and funny and a little sarky and sweet and loving. Taken well before her time, but with a life that contributed to the lives of others in a gentle, non-showy way. Her parents and sister can be very proud of her.

She was so obviously a creative soul. How much better to be creative, rather than destructive. I guess destructive people wouldn't know though - they can only look on with envy from a great distance, knowing something is missing from their lives, but with no idea of how to fill the cold, empty space.

Every loved one has a terrible time when a family member goes missing and is found deceased. But I can't help thinking Jennifer's family have suffered more than most, and more than a lot of people could have borne. I hope the support for them and for Jennifer helps a little during the trial. I am sure the support will be there, stronger than ever. I think about them a lot.

The care and concern and bravery that Jennifer has inspired really is a wonderful thing, and I can see people are still working so hard for her on the FB page. Early on I sometimes doubted things would ever get to this stage, but now I think that what is being done to support Jennifer's loved ones is so fitting for Jennifer herself - people are creating, making, baking - overcoming any problems, working together.

The trial is a necessary evil but I am looking forward to it. Because the sooner it comes, the sooner it is over. And I am hoping the subject of it will just fade into imprisoned obscurity and lovely Jennifer will be center stage for evermore. Untouchable and funny and a little sarky and sweet and loving. Taken well before her time, but with a life that contributed to the lives of others in a gentle, non-showy way. Her parents and sister can be very proud of her.

She was so obviously a creative soul. How much better to be creative, rather than destructive. I guess destructive people wouldn't know though - they can only look on with envy from a great distance, knowing something is missing from their lives, but with no idea of how to fill the cold, empty space.

this is all so well said, zweibel.

I think he'll be insistent on taking the stand, even against his lawyers' wishes. I think he's that cocky and believes he can charmingly convince a jury of his innocence, especially if the case is strongly built on circumstantial evidence.

Hi Jilllian! :seeya:

BBM: He will nail his own coffin shut- whether the ADA is allowed in court or not. Most of the J for Jers could get a conviction without law degrees...

Hi Jilllian! :seeya:

BBM: He will nail his own coffin shut- whether the ADA is allowed in court or not. Most of the J for Jers could get a conviction without law degrees...
BBM

::silly::

Well, however long time seems to be dragging for us, I guess it is dragging more for someone else. The trial and verdict are on their way now and it is what it is - it may even be brutal for some, but there is no stopping it now.

I am looking forward to 'Jennifer's day', and the auction and event where everyone can come together to celebrate this lady's life. Freely and happily, with complete goodwill behind it. It's what she always deserved and what she will get now.

I am sending so many good wishes out to Jennifer and her loved ones - it will get a little easier one day, really. But my heart goes out to you while it is still so difficult.

I know there are people still working so hard behind the scenes to help Jennifer and her loved ones - pinging thanks across the ocean to you guys too.

momrids6, I just glanced at your avatar pic and it's a little weird - for a moment I thought there was a a pair of huge, gleaming eyes staring out from the dark after GR, as he leaves the courtroom. I realized it was the ceiling lights pretty quick, but it still gave me a start for a moment!

momrids6, I just glanced at your avatar pic and it's a little weird - for a moment I thought there was a a pair of huge, gleaming eyes staring out from the dark after GR, as he leaves the courtroom. I realized it was the ceiling lights pretty quick, but it still gave me a start for a moment!

But it is the best picture of GR around at the moment, imo!

Still no dates set for trial... I am getting anxiety over this! Anyone know what the procedure is for getting a seat during the trial? I, as most of us have-really have attached myself to this case. Also, being very interest in law. I would like to see this play out.

But it is the best picture of GR around at the moment, imo!

:floorlaugh:

man, I hope he isn't enjoying cell life one bit. I keep getting visions of him trying to do pull-ups on the window bars.

Thinking, as always, of Jenn, her family and the fabulous people here who went the extra mile for her.

I think jail probably isn't a good place for those who want to be the center of attention the whole time, or control people. Or those who refuse to accept authority. I imagine they have to make some big adjustments quickly or learn some hard lessons.

The Facebookpage is making me hungry at the moment. I wish I was a cook. Dishes like calico beans and pulled pork are a complete mystery to me though, and I'm wondering if we even have them in England, or if they are just a different name.

I think jail probably isn't a good place for those who want to be the center of attention the whole time, or control people. Or those who refuse to accept authority. I imagine they have to make some big adjustments quickly or learn some hard lessons.

The Facebookpage is making me hungry at the moment. I wish I was a cook. Dishes like calico beans and pulled pork are a complete mystery to me though, and I'm wondering if we even have them in England, or if they are just a different name.

I've made pulled pork, it's heavenly (just google - Jamie Oliver has a recipe, but I used the Sunday Brunch one); calico beans I've never heard of!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevHill