NY NY - Joanne Dexter, 30, West Islip, 5 April 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Madamax, thank you for posting both Long Island cases and I am aware of both of them. However I don't think we should just jump to any conclusions in Joanne's case as so little is known so far.

Unfortunately we have seen way too often on this boards that many women disappeared shortly after getting married. In this case various scenarios comes to mind but even other options can't be ruled out yet.

- Jealous ex hb, for whom it would be emotionally difficult to see her and children with new man
- new husband - big question mark here - how long did they know each other, when did they get married, what did he do after she was last seen?
- last scenario - where something completely unrelated to above mentioned happened and at this moment can't be ruled out either.

First two scenarios are quite strong ones and should be looked into by authorities. Other things to look at - her behaviour and other people around her shortly before she went missing but also very importantly behaviour of people just after she disappeared.

We have to remember that 3 children lifes, all under age of 12 at that time, have been affected and everything changed for them on that day.

Madamax, thank you for posting both Long Island cases and I am aware of both of them. However I don't think we should just jump to any conclusions in Joanne's case as so little is known so far.

Unfortunately we have seen way too often on this boards that many women disappeared shortly after getting married. In this case various scenarios comes to mind but even other options can't be ruled out yet.

- Jealous ex hb, for whom it would be emotionally difficult to see her and children with new man
- new husband - big question mark here - how long did they know each other, when did they get married, what did he do after she was last seen?
- last scenario - where something completely unrelated to above mentioned happened and at this moment can't be ruled out either.

First two scenarios are quite strong ones and should be looked into by authorities. Other things to look at - her behaviour and other people around her shortly before she went missing but also very importantly behaviour of people just after she disappeared.

We have to remember that 3 children lifes, all under age of 12 at that time, have been affected and everything changed for them on that day.

Yes your right maybe I jumped the gun but I guess reading those 2 stories from Long Island and the both came out not to far from each other just made me wonder if anyone ever really checked the house. My heart goes out to the kids whom like you said lives chanced from that very moment she was gone.
All your scenarios are really good. .. seriously it could be any of them.Wish we had a bit more info on her and her husbands too.

Paul Migliore married in May 1975, so the jealous ex two years later seems unlikely, just narrowing theories down...

Paul Migliore married in May 1975, so the jealous ex two years later seems unlikely, just narrowing theories down...

Wow, thank you for digging out new information. You are positive it is correct Paul, right? As that surname is quite frequent in NY.

If you do not mind me asking, are you able to see when Paul's and Joanne's divorce was then as other people have no luck to find that? So logical assumption would be that it was definitely prior to May 75.

Lastly, if we could find when Joanne married someone called Dexter, that would narrow things down too.
===
I think some public and news appeals would do really good for her case. (I would not use Dexter surname though as probably not too many knew her under that one).

Wow, thank you for digging out new information. You are positive it is correct Paul, right? As that surname is quite frequent in NY.

If you do not mind me asking, are you able to see when Paul's and Joanne's divorce was then as other people have no luck to find that? So logical assumption would be that it was definitely prior to May 75.

Lastly, if we could find when Joanne married someone called Dexter, that would narrow things down too.
===
I think some public and news appeals would do really good for her case. (I would not use Dexter surname though as probably not too many knew her under that one).

Hi, like others here no luck with divorces, new marriage dates ect, just rechecking now and sorry I’m not positive that is the correct Paul in hindsight... it was linked in the Ancestry however they can link wrong people. The one I thought had the second marriage is a Paul , middle initial L born in 1941. Middle names initials would make things a little easier to find. Will keep trying!

after migliore she married
she has three children
two are in new york still
the house was given to her in the migliore divorce via a lawyer meeting to keep with the children

does anyone know anything else?
Welcome mahah, information is very hard to find, can you add any additional pieces to this puzzle?

im one of the daughters of joanne migliore-dexter.

Hello and Welcome to the thread on your mom. My heart goes out to you for all these years without your mother. Praying one day there will be closure for you and your Family. If you want to share anything your more than welcomed to.

My name is John Migliore; I am JoAnne's son, her oldest. Just recently 2019 this forum was forwarded to me. For 40 plus years this has been apart of me, eating up at my core. So needless to say it was, is and will always be very difficult. There's no white picket face when walking down my memory lane. But I do have to commend you guys put the pieces together pretty good, considering how limited information is out there. Thank you

My name is John Migliore; I am JoAnne's son, her oldest. Just recently 2019 this forum was forwarded to me. For 40 plus years this has been apart of me, eating up at my core. So needless to say it was, is and will always be very difficult. There's no white picket face when walking down my memory lane. But I do have to commend you guys put the pieces together pretty good, considering how limited information is ou
Hello and Welcome to the thread on your mom. My heart goes out to you for all these years without your mother. Praying one day there will be closure for you and your Family. If you want to share anything your more than welcomed to.
My name is John Migliore; I am JoAnne's son, her oldest. Just recently 2019 this forum was forwarded to me. For 40 plus years this has been apart of me, eating up at my core. So needless to say it was, is and will always be very difficult. There's no white picket face when walking down my memory lane. But I do have to commend you guys put the pieces together pretty good, considering how limited information is out there. Thank you
I am the boyfriend of Sandra one of Joanne and Paul's daughters. The husband's name that Joanne had after she and Paul split up was Tommy Dexter. I have been told that he went to prison and I assume it was in New York. Paul recently passed away at the beginning of this year down in Florida. For the sake of the children that were never able to have their mom in their life and for Joanne as well this thing should be figured out and I know I think you guys are doing great things trying to find out what happened. My email is notdiluteed@gmail.com. If you need anything as far as info you don't have and we might know or can help you please I beg you to contact us My name is Walt.

Welcome to Websleuths. I’m so sorry you all lost your Mom, especially so young. Can you upload any photos? When trying to match missing persons it’s always helpful to have a few pictures from different angles or different hairstyles. I sure hope the sleuthers here can help!

Dear John, Sandra, Walt and other family members, welcome to Websleuths and thank you for joining us here and I am so sorry it is under these unfortunate circumstances.

Firstly, as PayrollNerd already mentioned, would you be able to share any photos of Joanne with us, if you have any, even if not good quality, as only one we managed to find is when she was 16 years old? It would greatly help to revive her case and one could be also finally added to her NamUs profile, which is National Database for Missing and Unidentified available to law enforcement, coroners but also public nationwide. At the moment there is no photo of her there yet under her case.
Link to her case - The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

2ndly, was ever DNA obtained by police from any of the children to be added to her case so she could be identified this way once she is found? If not, this can be organized for free through NamUs.

3rd - There is great small group on Long Island, who themselves are searching for their long lost friend and also mother and are doing great work with publicizing her case in media and local news. I was quite touched by reading their news articles and FB posts. Maybe worth for some of you to reach out to them by FB message and join forces and knowledge? Maybe they help you and advise you who to contact locally to get her case in news too?

It is case of missing Norine Higuchi Brown who disappeared in 1990.
Link to FB page run by her friends - FindNorine
Link to her discussion case here on Websleuths - NY - NY - Norine Higuchi Brown, 31, Nassau County, 12 Dec 1990

4th - I would personally recommend to contact Aware Foundation, which is official and registered charity for missing. Again you can do it through their FB page. They are brilliant and helped many. What is most important though they do quality flyers/posters for free for the family and they also share them themselves online, nationwide. They have wide audience and far reach. Their only conditions are only family member can contact them, there must be photo and the case must be registered with police. You meet all these conditions.

Check their FB page and feel free to contact them at any time - The AWARE Foundation, Inc.

And lastly, rest of us here can help you to share her case and appeals online nationwide as well. Even though it is very painful, every mention online, every share of her case makes it more visible, more talked about and in some cases these appeals help to get results. *advertiser censored*

Article from Jan. 27, 1970
Suspect in Bank Robbery In Deer Park Is Arrested (Published 1970)

Federal agents and Suffolk County policeman arrested a 25 year‐old suspect yesterday in connection with the $2,605 robbery of the Deer Park branch of the Security National Bank on Jan. 16, the Federal Bureau of Investigation said.

The suspect, Thomas Paul Dexter of West Islip, L. I., an auto mechanic, was to be arraigned later in Federal Court in Brooklyn on a charge of Bank robbery. The police said Mr. Dexter was arrested at his home early yesterday morning following a week of investigation by both the F.B.I. and the Suffolk County police.

Daily News, Tuesday, January 27, 1970
Suspect traced through what was said to have been a suicide note signed only "Tom" a 25-year-old West Islip man was arrested yesterday as the purported stickup man who escaped with $? from a Deer Park bank on Jan. 16. The arrest of Thomas Paul Dexter, an ex-convict, was announced by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and Suffolk County police. The FBI revealed only that "a piece of paper" had enabled authorities to identify Dexter as the wanted man. Suffolk cops said, however, that the week's intensive investigation, leading up to the arrest, revolved around the suspect's handwriting. Over the fence they said Dexter had evaded pursuers after the robbery by running through several backyards and vaulting a couple of fences. During one jump, the cops said, the note in which "Tom" told of his intention to take his life dropped from a pocket. He had been in a hospital not long before, after taking an overdose of sleeping pills, police said. Only about $250 was left of the bank loot, according to Detective Lt. Hugo Rommler of the county's first squad. The rest was alleged to have been spent on a drinking and drugs spree. Police said the suspect had a $32-a-day narcotics habit and was, in addition, a problem drinker. Dexter, a jobless auto mechanic with a record of arrests for burglary, grand larceny and narcotics violations, was nabbed early yesterday at his home at 308 Arcadia Dr., West Islip. He was charged with bank robbery in the holdup ? Taken before U.S. Commissioner Vincent Catoggio in Brooklyn Federal Court, Dexter was held in $20,000 bail for federal grand jury action.

Last edited:
DBM
Sorry same article

This could be him, age matches up

Name: Thomas Dexter
Social Security Number: 098-34-6967
Birth Date: 16 Feb 1944
Issue Year: 1959-1961
Issue State: New York
Last Residence: 10044, New York, New York, New York
Death Date: 20 May 2008

Last edited:
Wow, Bit of Hope and StarrChance there is still bit of hope in this case, and Thank You for finding extra pieces in this puzzle.

Maybe with this extra information on Tommy we can find out when their wedding was in 1976.

Joanne may have had knowledge of this...

21st November 1976

View attachment 272403

Great find! I was wondering about his jail time before but couldn't find a sentence from the court on the 1970 robbery...and here it is. According to the paper clipping he is living on the same address as Joanne Dexter. Maybe JoAnne was involved or knew about it. I didn't find something yet to confirm that. If she was involved and incarceration was coming up, this might be the reason she went missing.

It makes you wonder when their paths crossed, a woman with 3 children and a convicted bank robber, supposedly with an alcohol and drugs problem.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back