NY NY - Jonathan Schaff, 23, Granville, 18 Jan 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why was anybody parking at Loomis Trucking and going to a bar (which clearly has parking) almost a mile away? On a very cold night? Makes no sense.

Some have loss their driving privileges in NY, because of unpaid fines and such.

http://poststar.com/news/local/search-awaits-river-s-warming-police-say/article_acc9b854-cb2b-11e3-a34d-0019bb2963f4.html
Search awaits river's warming, police say

Police in Vermont and New York are watching the temperature and water level of the Mettawee River as they weigh when to resume the ground and river search for a missing Vermont man.

Vermont State Police believe Jonathan M. Schaff somehow wound up in the Mettawee River in West Pawlet, Vermont, after a night of drinking at a bar in the village of Granville. But there has been no trace of him nor concrete information to indicate he was in the river.

Vermont State Police Detective Sgt. Albert Abdelnour said police are waiting for the river to warm and currents to slow down before resuming the effort. No date had been set as of Wednesday.

Six months later, police still stymied by man's disappearance

For months, Vermont State Police believed a Vermont man who has been missing since he walked away from a Granville bar had fallen in the Mettawee River, and warmer weather would eventually prompt his body to surface.

Hundreds of searchers and anglers have walked the banks of the Mettawee River in the months since Jonathan Schaff’s Jan. 18 disappearance, and not a clue to his whereabouts has been found.

[snip]

“We have been acting on a few tips, but they haven’t amounted to much,” Bassett said.

A Facebook page titled “Bring Jonathan Schaff home” continues to be active, with friends and relatives occasionally posting on it wondering if there has been any new information in the investigation.

“This is definitely one where we are hoping we can have some kind of resolution,” Bassett said.

http://poststar.com/news/local/six-...cle_6a9eb074-0ebf-11e4-9590-0019bb2963f4.html

Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bring-Jonathan-Schaff-Home/196374190570062

It's so perplexing! I think about Jonathan from time to time and hope he's been found ... so sad to realize he's NOT been found. What an absence of clues!

I made a list on another thread I follow but it applies here ... these are the only possible scenarios I can think of ... maybe someone can help me rule out some of them:

... Kidnapping
... Suicide
... Intentional disappearance

(these first 3 seem highly unlikely given what we know)

... Accidental death - body yet to be found (i.e drowning, hypothermia, fall off cliff, etc.)
... Accidental or unintentional death - body concealed by someone (i.e hit by car, knocked down in a fight & hits head, drug OD, etc.)
... Homicide

Am I forgetting anything?

http://poststar.com/news/local/miss...cle_3a556442-557a-11e4-9d90-cbcad51a6d9b.html
Missing man's family upset with lack of police progress in case
October 16, 2014 8:00 pm • By Don Lehman
John Schaff’s hands shake as he holds the flier.
The piece of paper has a picture of his son, Jonathan Schaff, with the words ‘Help bring me home!” on it.
Saturday will mark nine months since Jonathan Schaff was last seen walking from a bar in Granville to a car parked just across the Vermont border in West Pawlet, Vt.

more at link.

From the above article:

So sad :(
Winchell says she believes Schaff is still alive. She even swears she thought she heard his voice coming from a truck down the road in March. She keeps his phone number in her phone and says she stays up at night waiting to get a text message from him. Despite the circumstances, she says she tries to stay optimistic. When she finds pennies heads up, she puts them in his room. She says that's a sign of good luck and she remains hopeful he'll be found.

"I don't understand. You know, I don't get it. I don't. You can't just disappear off the face of the earth," she said.

Winchell says she is always thinking of what she can do to help find her son. She tells us she is even considering selling her car, her only mode of transportation, to come up with reward money. She insists she will never give up until she gets an answer to what happened to her son.

http://poststar.com/news/local/miss...cle_3a556442-557a-11e4-9d90-cbcad51a6d9b.html
Missing man's family upset with lack of police progress in case

more at link.

From the above article:

I wonder if they even really looked into this?

At one point this summer, volunteer searchers found a brown jacket in the river in Middle Granville, which they thought might be Jonathan’s. It was turned over to Vermont State Police, but the family has heard nothing more about it.

John Schaff said there are rumors around the Granville area that Schaff was killed and his remains disposed of on a pig farm in Vermont.

He said that information came from an “elderly” man but was dismissed because he has dementia, but the man has ties to a person who had contact with Jonathan Schaff the night he disappeared.

I don't think I had heard this detail before.
the circumstances of the bar fight, during which his son’s glasses were reportedly broken, were unclear. There may have been two men involved in addition to Jonathan, and it appeared that Jonathan was defending a female cousin who was being harassed by a man, the family said.

AFAIK they only help if and when LE invites them.
It says on the page I linked:

REQUESTING HELP
After filing a missing person report with law enforcement, the family representative should then contact Texas EquuSearch. One of our Search Coordinators will then gather information from the family representative regarding the circumstances surrounding the missing person’s disappearance.

The disappearance of Jonathan Schaff

One of the most perplexing stories of 2014 was the disappearance of 24-year old Jonathan Schaff.

[snip]

Law enforcement agencies on both sides of the border, as well as family members and volunteers, have conducted numerous searches in the months following Schaff’s disappearance, but those efforts have yet to yield any results.

Police have said publicly they don’t have any evidence to suggest foul play had anything to do with his disappearance.

http://manchesternewspapers.com/2014/12/31/granville-year-review/

One year later, still no answers for a missing man's family
FAIR HAVEN, Vt. -
On January 18th 2014, Jonathan Schaff disappeared.

"So I'm thinking, if they did something nasty to him they did use May's car to do it. Now I can't prove that... But I'm saying," says his father, John Schaff.

He allegedly got into a fight at the Riverside pub in Granville, New York. After that, his family can only guess.

"I said Jonathan, let's go home. We'll finish out what we're doing. He said no dad, I'm enjoying myself. Then, okay, you need a ride or figure something or whatever, call me or mom and we'll come get you. And last time I knew he didn't call either one of us. So then from there I hear that he went missing," his father says.

Police had said he was last seen walking along Route 149 on January 18 last year.

Officials have searched around the New York-Vermont border with no results. The family still does not know what happened to Jonathan.

"I still keep my door unlocked, hoping he'll come home," says Schaff's mother, May Winchell.
http://www.wcax.com/story/27878877/one-year-later-still-no-answers-for-a-missing-mans-family

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back