GUILTY NY - Laura Garza, 25, Manhattan, 3 December 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You're most likely right Sugar Queen. IF he's the perp, he most likely drove straight to the spot, (no one wants to drive around too long with a body) so it would probably only be 1 hour's drive. I wasn't sure when I was making note of the locations mentioned in previous articles, what his exact locations were during the time between Laura's disappearance and when the suspect made contact with LE.

I know he'd thoroughly cleaned his condo though and the piece of carpet located was in another area.

I hope the forensics found is enough to {prove} he did this crime, IF he did (which I believe he did).

JMHO
fran

So the carpet from his house was found? Is this correct?
Hope he gets what he deserves.
So happy she was found, even though it was under the circumstances it was. At least her family has some sort of closure.
sad.

So the carpet from his house was found? Is this correct?
Hope he gets what he deserves.
So happy she was found, even though it was under the circumstances it was. At least her family has some sort of closure.
sad.

BBM
Yes, the piece of carpet was found as well as a shoe. Not everything found has been made public yet.

Such a bittersweet day. Gosh, I remember seeing LE and volunteer FD doing the searches.

Rest sweet Laura, you're going home.

How far is this from Mele's home?? It seems rather far...

Thank you all for posting about Laura's body being found, this is a straight shot right on Interstate 84 from Middletown to PA where she was found, takes a little less than 1 hour 22 minutes, all Mele would have had to do was hop on I-84 in Middletown and he'd be in PA in less than 1 hour depending on how fast he was driving.

This would be easy for Mele, he can get on I-84 right there in Middletown and less than (honestly if he was speeding probably 30 mins) be over the border in PA. I-84 goes to Port Jervis, NY (which is right on the border of PA), so for Mele to have drove this route to dump her in another state makes perfect sense. I-84 is a direct route, he could follow it right into PA, also it's not usually a crowded highway, late at night he could have flew there.

It only would take him less than 1 hour 22 mins to get there!!!

If you google map "Middletown, NY" and get directions to "Scranton, PA" you can see. (I'm familiar with the area and I-84) so i know firsthand.

Thank you all for posting about Laura's body being found, this is a straight shot right on Interstate 84 from Middletown to PA where she was found, takes a little less than 1 hour 22 minutes, all Mele would have had to do was hop on I-84 in Middletown and he'd be in PA in less than 1 hour depending on how fast he was driving.

This would be easy for Mele, he can get on I-84 right there in Middletown and less than (honestly if he was speeding probably 30 mins) be over the border in PA. I-84 goes to Port Jervis, NY (which is right on the border of PA), so for Mele to have drove this route to dump her in another state makes perfect sense. I-84 is a direct route, he could follow it right into PA, also it's not usually a crowded highway, late at night he could have flew there.

It only would take him less than 1 hour 22 mins to get there!!!

If you google map "Middletown, NY" and get directions to "Scranton, PA" you can see. (I'm familiar with the area and I-84) so i know firsthand.

Exactly! The carpet was found near Bloomingburg.. also an easy ride. I believe that was on his way to his girlfriends house.

MeoW.. maybe we're neighbors??

Prayers for her poor poor family esp for her Dad, hes truly heartbroken.

RIP Laura

This article from the Times-Herald Record has an interesting, almost-overlooked detail:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=436787722&blogId=533436922

The article says a man's chronograph watch was found next to the skeletal remains of Laura Garza.

Mele's?

You know, I saw this article last week but had no idea who it was.

About the watch, .................wonder if THAT is what he was frantically looking for in the trash bin? :eek:

Wouldn't that be something if his dna was on the watch or it could be traced back to him. Is a 'chronograph watch' something special? Would it be registered by serial number?

JMHO
fran

For Laura's family, I'm glad she's finally been found. I hope they have enough now to nail that .

Here is Laura Garza's Charley Project page. I am putting it up so that it will be still available after page is removed from the Charley Project site.

Laura Garza

2697776030045078242S500x500Q851.jpg

Garza, circa 2008

Missing Since: December 3, 2008 from Manhattan, New York
Classification: Endangered Missing
Height and Weight: 5'2, 120 pounds

Distinguishing Characteristics:
Hispanic (Mexican) female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Garza is a Mexican national.

Details of Disappearance
Garza was last seen in the New York City borough of Manhattan on December 3, 2008. She left her home in Bay Ridge in the borough of Brooklyn and went with a coworker to the Marquee nightclub on 10th Avenue and 27th Street in the Manhattan neighborhood of Chelsea. The coworker left before Garza did. Garza left the Marquee at 4:00 a.m. with two male companions. She appeared to be with them willingly and didn't appear to be intoxicated, but her friends and family stated they didn't believe she would have left with a stranger. Garza was apparently seen in Newburgh, New York at around sunrise that day. She has never been heard from again.

Authorities quickly identified both of Garza's companions. One of them has cooperated fully with the investigation and hasn't been publicly named, as he is not considered a suspect. He stated he parted ways with Garza at 5:00 a.m. at a McDonalds restaurant in Newburgh, leaving her with the other man. The other man was Michael Mele, a registered sex offender. He was convicted of four counts of forcible touching in April 2008 and given six years' probation. He was arrested on a probation violation after she vanished. The violation was for drinking alcohol, missing court-ordered sex offender treatment sessions and failing to meet with his probation officer, and is unrelated to Garza's disappearance. After his arrest, DNA testing linked him to a 2005 offense in New Jersey where a man had masturbated on a public bench where a child had been sitting. He was additionally charged in connection with that. Later, he was further charged with possession of stolen property and failure to notify the Department of Criminal Justice that he had changed his address. One credit card and one debit card found his apartment turned out to have been stolen. Several women went to police in the wake of Garza's disappearance and claimed Mele had sexually assaulted them. He was charged with public lewdness, harassment and falsifying business records in connection with one incident.

Garza was seen dancing, flirting and talking with Mele for about 45 minutes before they left the nightclub. Investigators believe he took her back to his apartment in Wallkill, New York, which is near Newburgh. Bloodstains were located in Mele's apartment and large sections of carpet were cut away from his living room, master bedroom, hallway and a closet. Over a week after Garza's disappearance, police found what they believe is Mele's missing carpet alongside Highway 17 near Bloomingburg, New York, eighty miles from Manhattan. It's currently under forensic testing. Neighbors heard Mele running a vacuum cleaner for a long time the day after Garza went missing, and when police arrested him for the probation violation, he had scratches on his back and shoulders and what appeared to be a bite mark on his finger. Mele allegedly told someone Garza had been reported missing about eight hours before the report was actually filed. He has refused to speak to the police about her case. Authorities believe he murdered Garza in his home, but he hasn't been charged in connection with her. He remains in jail awaiting trial for his alleged crimes.

Garza worked at a shoe store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan at the time of her disappearance. She is a 2003 graduate of Mission High School in Mission, Texas. She was born in Mexico and moved to Texas with her family as a teen, living in the border town of McAllen. She left Texas and moved to New York City only five months before her disappearance, sharing an apartment with younger cousin. She planned to pursue a career in dance. It's uncharacteristic of Garza to leave without warning; she kept in daily touch with her family in Texas. Foul play is suspected in her case, which remains unsolved.

I'm sorry - but I just have to get this off my chest.

As the mother of a 20-year-old daughter, it pizzes me off to no end that young women cannot just go out dancing and have a good time without having to worry about some lowlife harming them.

Okay, I'm confused, was this guy locked up for the following offenses after Garza's disappearance, or did he violate parole and then was released to go on and kill her?

Mele had several sex-offense convictions in Rockland County, most involving approaching women while masturbating, and he was wanted in New Jersey for similar crimes. He had been sentenced to six years' probation and police quickly locked him up for violating the terms of that parole -- he admitted drinking, he had not attended sex-offender treatment and he had not reported to his probation officer.

He was later charged with possession of stolen credit cards -- not Garza's -- and with failing to notify a sex offender registry when he moved to Wallkill.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/04/2...eed:+foxnews/latest+(Text+-+Latest+Headlines)

I was wondering.... is it a mistake that it says found safe in the forum title?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back