Identified! NY - Manhattan, 'Midtown Jane Doe', WhtFem 16-21, 337UFNY, under concrete, ring w/ 'P McG', Feb'03 Patricia McGlone

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Well, I was supposed to do some important work this night.. SUPPOSED TO. It's almost dawn here now.. Damn you, WS!

Anyway, I read up on the Minnesota Strip era and I thought I'd just share some of it.
The 'Minnesota Pipeline' Sends Teenage Hookers to New York, and Al Palmquist Wants to Plug It

BBM
Rarely has Palmquist’s unusual background been more useful than in his current assignment: trying to break the “Minnesota pipeline,” the flow of blond, blue-eyed teenage runaways to New York to work as prostitutes.

Interested less in stomping out sin than in offering the girls an alternative, Palmquist went East last month with his partner, Gary McGaughey. The trip was bizarre. News of their visit spread quickly, and pimps yanked their young hookers off the streets. The notorious “Minnesota Strip” along Eighth Avenue suddenly was as deserted and tranquil as a Mexican plaza at high noon. One girl did call to say she was afraid her pimp would kill her if she made contact with the cops.

Palmquist credits TV with opening his eyes to the plight of the young prostitutes. An episode of Police Story early this year described in cruel detail a pimp’s seduction of a runaway teenager. “I just didn’t believe it happened,” Palmquist says. “The next day I talked to my partner about it. Gary had been working in prostitution. ‘It’s true,’ he said, ‘that’s exactly how it happens.’ He told me the areas in Minneapolis where girls were being picked up and recruited, and he showed me pictures of girls who had been murdered—split open with axes, acid baths. They were just babies, some of them. They had tried to escape.”

Now, this is a little gem. I found this (very sad, but informative) documentary from ca. 1976 (?). It clocks in at about 21-22 minutes and is well worth the watch.

~

One wee theory, though: Is it possible that we read too much into her burial, and that she simply was entombed in an effort to prevent odour, body fluids, and such, because the perp knew she would soon decompose and therefore be more at risk of being discovered? The curious case of Dorian Corey and her closet comes to mind..

Last edited:
I was reading this article and the comments at the bottom are interesting.
prostitution in Times Square – Ephemeral New York
Interesting, indeed. I do not know how much we are allowed to discuss the content of the link you provided, but some of the comments are just downright creepy.

I had to look up Time Square Ripper only to find a very interesting post earlier in this very thread, signed by... -WAAAIIIT FOR IT- madamx! :D (O/T: was the girl found along with Deedeh Goodarzi ever identified? I can't find her in NamUs, and she doesn't seem to have a thread here, either). MJD doesn't seem to fit Cottingham's MO, though.

I also want to bump this post. The link posted in it contains many pics from the place of discovery, various recons, and even post mortems, so be warned!

Interesting, indeed. I do not know how much we are allowed to discuss the content of the link you provided, but some of the comments are just downright creepy.

I had to look up Time Square Ripper only to find a very interesting post earlier in this very thread, signed by... -WAAAIIIT FOR IT- madamx! :D (O/T: was the girl found along with Deedeh Goodarzi ever identified? I can't find her in NamUs, and she doesn't seem to have a thread here, either). MJD doesn't seem to fit Cottingham's MO, though.

I also want to bump this post. The link posted in it contains many pics from the place of discovery, various recons, and even post mortems, so be warned!

Yes they are creepy right?! .. someone knows something... anyway...

Yes I have had OCD with this case for the longest!! Omg...And yes the girl that was found with Deedah I have also been obsessed with because she like the Medford Doe pretty much Never acknowledged!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. absolutely heartbreaking.. this girl even more..she sort of became the unidentified headless girl and that was it never talked about again. I find it odd Nobody knew her on the streets? Jess and I have been talking about her for a while on our own.. she has OCD with her too..

Sadly a very high percentage of the kids of both sexes who wound up in the NYC sex trade were throwaways or otherwise estranged from their families :(:(:(

I don't know if anybody has posted this girl on the thread ..and if so sorry to repeat..but she sort of stood out to me..

She is from Nebraska (falls into Midwest category)
Her hair is red brown (the color mentioned for jane doe)
Her height is 5'4 in some but 5'6 in other but who is to really say. her weight is also 125.. but again who knows
She went missing in 1977

oh and she went missing with a ring that had a letter M....I know its not the one this girl was found with but its an initial ring.

what caught my eye was the teeth..they look similar even though its a little hard when you enlarge margarets photo to see hers.. anyway.. just posting it here...

Margaret Kay Holst - Nebraska Missing Person Directory

Margaret Kay Holst – The Charley Project

Attachments

• HolstMargaretKay3[1].jpg
    HolstMargaretKay3[1].jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1597.jpg
    IMG_1597.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1586.jpg
    IMG_1586.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 33
Exclusions: The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

MP7306 Shannon Arif Montgomery TN
MP3070 Judith Brown Queens NY
MP12212 Brenda Crowley Richmond NY
MP4711 Andrea Durham Okaloosa FL
MP2493 Tracy King Adams PA
MP2484 Tracy Kroh Dauphin PA
-- Sherill Levett AL
MP7574 Sylvia Lwowski Richmond NY
-- Stacy McCall MO
-- Kimberly McClasky IL
MP8387 Penny McClees Arapahoe CO
MP5531 Tammie McCormick Saratoga NY
MP6429 Julie Moseley Tarrant TX
MP8051 Judith ODonnell New York NY
MP7051 Amy Pagnac Hennepin MN
MP6527 Tracy Pickett Jasper MO
MP6608 Cindy Rowles Ulster NY
MP3166 Sandy Schlamann Orange FL
MP974 Patricia Schmidt Henrico VA
MP5533 Denise Sheehy Queens NY
-- SuzanneStreeter Missouri
MP6974 Heide Wilbur Rutland VT
MP30722 Tabbetha Worford Escambia FL

Yes they are creepy right?! .. someone knows something... anyway...

Yes I have had OCD with this case for the longest!! Omg...And yes the girl that was found with Deedah I have also been obsessed with because she like the Medford Doe pretty much Never acknowledged!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:. absolutely heartbreaking.. this girl even more..she sort of became the unidentified headless girl and that was it never talked about again. I find it odd Nobody knew her on the streets? Jess and I have been talking about her for a while on our own.. she has OCD with her too..
She's been entered in DoeNetwork! I made her a WS thread:
NY - NY - Manhattan, WhtFem 1532UFNY, 16-22, SK victim, burned in hotel room w/Deedeh Goodarzi, Dec'79

The tag is not from International Ladies Garment Workers and therefore the dating is wrong.
It's from National Board of the Coat And Suit Industry and it was manufactured sometime between 1963 and 1973.
The plastic bag was produced from 1979 on.

Attachments

• 337UFNY4.jpg
    337UFNY4.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 15
Furthermore stuff could have already been there. 1979 is the earliest re placing the concrete slab. Also the victim could have been killed at any time and later reburied in that basement. The watch and ring are not necessarily hers either.

So when was the slab placed? And by who?

ttp://abc7ny.com/crime-stoppers-water-could-help-solve-a-cold-case/2528789/

Shows how deep that hole under the slab was.

Furthermore stuff could have already been there. 1979 is the earliest re placing the concrete slab. Also the victim could have been killed at any time and later reburied in that basement. The watch and ring are not necessarily hers either.

So when was the slab placed? And by who?

ttp://abc7ny.com/crime-stoppers-water-could-help-solve-a-cold-case/2528789/

Shows how deep that hole under the slab was.
Nov 2017
Crime Stoppers: Water could help solve a New York City cold case
''MIDTOWN, Manhattan (WABC) -- Evidence from Rainfall and drinking water could help the New York Police Department crack a nearly 15-year-old homicide in Midtown Manhattan.

Police reports indicate the young woman dubbed "Midtown Jane Doe" was found wrapped in a rug and buried in a cement box in an apartment complex basement at 301 W 46th Street.''

''Maps based on the isotopic analysis strongly favor the likelihood that Jane Doe was from the Midwest Detective Hahn said.

"A lot of girls came from the Midwest and moved to New York thinking they were going to make it big or get away from circumstances at home but that is not what happened," Hahn said.

Hahn added that Jane Doe was found a near a section of Midtown dubbed the "Minnesota Strip" where young girls from the Midwest often ended up after running into trouble.''

ABC7 New York

Nov 2017
Crime Stoppers: Water could help solve a New York City cold case
''MIDTOWN, Manhattan (WABC) -- Evidence from Rainfall and drinking water could help the New York Police Department crack a nearly 15-year-old homicide in Midtown Manhattan.

Police reports indicate the young woman dubbed "Midtown Jane Doe" was found wrapped in a rug and buried in a cement box in an apartment complex basement at 301 W 46th Street.''

''Maps based on the isotopic analysis strongly favor the likelihood that Jane Doe was from the Midwest Detective Hahn said.

"A lot of girls came from the Midwest and moved to New York thinking they were going to make it big or get away from circumstances at home but that is not what happened," Hahn said.

Hahn added that Jane Doe was found a near a section of Midtown dubbed the "Minnesota Strip" where young girls from the Midwest often ended up after running into trouble.''

ABC7 New York

I need facts :) When was that slab placed. I'll investigate the address to see what I can figure out. Somebody went to a lot of trouble to hide her. Makes no sense that she was just an unfortunate girl; unfortunate but probably member of an important family.

Furthermore, I want to know what that space beneath the basement was.

Another thing, she was hog tied. That ensures the person can't try to get free without suffocating herself. I wonder if she was actually strangled by her own doing. What kind of perpetrator uses hog tying? Just to subdue for the time being? Or to torture?

Her remains were skeletal. Means she was placed in the concrete when already skeletal. I think she was placed soon after her death in the rug. Then rug and all in the concrete slab which was meant to cover that little room underneath.

If the rat poison plastic bag fragments where found on the rolled up rug but not inside, the dead of death could be well before 1979.

This leads me to suspect professional builders/construction workers. What super does this kind of construction work unless previously experienced? First you have to make a wooden mold/casing. Than mix and pour. Then remove the slab and place it without breaking it on the right spot.

Another thing, she was hog tied. That ensures the person can't try to get free without suffocating herself. I wonder if she was actually strangled by her own doing. What kind of perpetrator uses hog tying? Just to subdue for the time being? Or to torture?

Where did you find the information that she was hog tied? That is quite a specific way of tying someone up.

I also think that she was placed in the location where she was found quite close after death and the body decomposed and became skeletonised there.

If I were to guess, this is a victim who was not reported missing, possibly a runaway from the Midwest, working in the sex industry. Her death most likely was the result of an encounter with the wrong client. In my opinion, she was killed where she was found (ie in the building).
The method of disposal is unusual and indicates that the perpetrator had access to the building and the opportunity and contacts to quickly organise the pouring of the concrete slab. Apparently this was also done without attracting attention, which means that it was probably done when building work was going on in the building or nearby.

(English is not my first language so I hope I make sense.)

Where did you find the information that she was hog tied? That is quite a specific way of tying someone up.

I also think that she was placed in the location where she was found quite close after death and the body decomposed and became skeletonised there.

If I were to guess, this is a victim who was not reported missing, possibly a runaway from the Midwest, working in the sex industry. Her death most likely was the result of an encounter with the wrong client. In my opinion, she was killed where she was found (ie in the building).
The method of disposal is unusual and indicates that the perpetrator had access to the building and the opportunity and contacts to quickly organise the pouring of the concrete slab. Apparently this was also done without attracting attention, which means that it was probably done when building work was going on in the building or nearby.

(English is not my first language so I hope I make sense.)
Welcome to Ws Captain Beck, you make a lot of sense, thanks for chiming in!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back