Deceased/Not Found NY - Manhattan, 'Number Six' UnkFem, UnkAge, SK victim in 55-gallon oil drum, not recovered, Dec'91

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Mrs. Badcrumble

The North remembers
Reaction score
I am a bit unsure where this Jane Doe belongs to on Websleuths, for unlike most Does in this subforum, this particular Jane Doe, a.k.a, "Number 6", has never been found (or at least, not that we know of), which makes this case even sadder. I therefore trust the mods will move this thread to a more suitable place if they deem it unfit in the Unidentified forum.

------------------------------------------

The Jane Doe known as Number Six is a Joel Rifkin victim who was murdered in December 1991. Rifkin has told LE that she was put in a oil barrel and thrown into the East River (or Harlem River, depending on the source).

There seem to be some conflicting information about her, so be aware. I haven't been able to get a description of her age, ethnicity or appearance either.

What the sources tell you about Number Six:

Joel Rifkin | Murderpedia, the encyclopedia of murderers

"Rifkin could not recall the name of “number six”, murdered a few days shy of Christmas 1991. He picked her up on West 46th Street in Manhattan and strangled her in his car during oral sex, describing the event as “very quick.” Afterward, he drove back to Long Island with the body slumped beside him, concealing her under a tarp at his rented workplace. Next, he drove to a recycling plant in Westbury, where he had once worked part-time, and helped himself to a 55-gallon oil drum. There was ample room for Jane Doe in the barrel, safely hidden for their ride to the South Bronx, where Rifkin found a district rife with junkyards and rolled her into the East River. About to leave, he was confronted by patrolmen who accused him of illegal dumping, but Joel persuaded them he was collecting junk instead. They let him go with a warning."

(...)

"The oil drum was a new kink with Rifkin, used at least four times by his count. A Jane Doe victim, thus entombed, was dredged from Newtown Creek, in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, on May 13, 1992. Maryann Holloman, age 39, was retrieved from Coney Island Creek in her oil drum on July 9, two days before passers-by found the skeletal remains of Lorraine Orvieto nearby. There was another oil drum victim, Joel insists, although he doesn't know her name and can't recall exactly when he dropped her body in the Harlem River."

What Made Joel Rifkin the Prolific Serial Killer in New York History?

"Jane Doe #1, was killed in early December 1991. Rifkin strangled her during sex, put her body into a 55-gallon oil drum and dumped it into the East River."

Joel Rifkin – I Killer on the Prowl | Lawyers Update

"The name of the “number six” slipped off Rifkin’s re-collection. She was killed a few days prior to the Christmas of 1991 after Rifkin picked her from West 46th Street in Manhattan. She performed oral sex on him and while she was at it, Rifkin strangled her to death. Rifkin told that it was all “very quick”. He drove to Long Island with the body beside him, and placed her under a tarp at his workplace. Later, he drove the body to a recycling plant in Westbury and got a 55-gallon oil drum to place her in. He then drove to the South Bronx, where Rifkin rolled the drum with the unknown victim in it into the East River. But before he could leave, he was spotted by patrolmen who suspected him of illegal dumping. However, it was quite a junkyard there, and Rifkin could persuade the officers that he was there collecting junk. They let him off with a warning knowing little that they had just let a serial killer walk away."

A Killer Without A Conscience *

"They call her the “Jane Doe” victim. Again, Rifkin picked up her along the side of the road, slept with her, and then strangled her around the neck. Her body was placed in an oil drum and dumped into Netown Creek. Her remains were never recovered."

(*the author of this link seems to mix up to mix up Number 6 and Jane Doe #9's information. Most sources seem to state that Rifkin dumped Jane Doe #6 into either East River or Harlem River from South Bronx, while Jane Doe #9 was dumped into Newtown Creek from Brooklyn.)

Now the women that I posted on the Newtown Creek Jane doe thread were missing from late 1991. Now it’s this Jane doe that would of been missing late 1991. I think I have confused myself in this whole thing ha!

This is so sad. It’s going to be even harder to find out who she is until we find out where she is.

I know! Well At least we have a start and she has a thread now..(thanks to Mrs Badcrumble)
Someone out there remembers and is prob still missing this woman.. She pretty much just lives in Rifkins memory. I just wish he could of described at least something of what she looked like.. ugh

She pretty much just lives in Rifkins memory. I just wish he could of described at least something of what she looked like.. ugh
There you said it. She could be practically anyone since we don't even have a description of her to narrow down the search! I shiver by the thought that if it hadn't been for Rifkin confessing to her murder, no would have known about her at all. Well, to be fair; if it hadn't been for Rifkin, she might've still been alive.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)
Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP8047 Female, Uncertain
Date Body FoundAugust 14, 1993
Location FoundQueens, New York
Estimated Age Range20-70 Years

Case Information
Case Numbers Demographics Circumstances Physical Description Clothing and Accessories

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number --
ME/C Case Number Q93-04294
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityUncertain
Possible First Name --
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 70
Estimated Age Range (Years)20-70
Estimated Year of Death1993
Estimated PMIWeeks
Height 5' 7"(67 inches) , Estimated
Weight125 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
TypeUnidentified Deceased
NamUs Case CreatedOctober 20, 2010
ME/C QA ReviewedOctober 21, 2010
Location Found Map
Location Queens, New York
CountyQueens County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)40.591963, -73.771595
Found On Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Recovery Unknown female (possibly black) found in a barrel approximately 100 feet north of the boardwalk at Beach 40th Street in Rockaway Park.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of Remains One or more limbs not recovered
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Partial remains with soft tissues
Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description --
Body Hair Description --
Facial Hair Description --
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown
Eye Description absent
Distinctive Physical Features
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
green "Hunter's Run" coat with hood and purple and yellow liner, tan and orange "Silsmara GSA New York" sweater size medium, v-neck t-shirt, tan bra, blue shorts, tan handkerchief, pink dress
On the Body

Case Information
Case Numbers Demographics Circumstances Physical Description Clothing and Accessories

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number --
Demographics
SexFemale
Possible First Name --
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated PMIWeeks
Weight125 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
Location Found Map
CountyQueens County
Found On Tribal Land--
Circumstances of Recovery Unknown female (possibly black) found in a barrel approximately 100 feet north of the boardwalk at Beach 40th Street in Rockaway Park.
Details of Recovery

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description --
Body Hair Description --
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown
Eye Description absent
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
green "Hunter's Run" coat with hood and purple and yellow liner, tan and orange "Silsmara GSA New York" sweater size medium, v-neck t-shirt, tan bra, blue shorts, tan handkerchief, pink dress
On the Body

omg Murder Inc I never saw this Barrel lady! Wow good find omg. This lady was found in Feb 1993 so it’s possible it’s Rifkin since he was arrested in June 1993. Wow.. seriously I don’t think Rifkin has disclosed really how many he killed.
Does this lady have a thread? If not she def needs a thread!

omg Murder Inc I never saw this Barrel lady! Wow good find omg. This lady was found in Feb 1993 so it’s possible it’s Rifkin since he was arrested in June 1993. Wow.. seriously I don’t think Rifkin has disclosed really how many he killed.
Does this lady have a thread? If not she def needs a thread!
I think she was found August 93 but the PMI estimate of weeks could put the death in June before Rifkin was popped. They couldn't even tell if the victim was 20 or 70. I think it's possible Rifkin has more victims too.

I think she was found August 93 but the PMI estimate of weeks could put the death in June before Rifkin was popped. They couldn't even tell if the victim was 20 or 70. I think it's possible Rifkin has more victims too.

Oh sorry I don’t know where I saw Feb your right Aug she was found but she had to be in that barrel a while before she was found. I wish we knew somehow if the barrels matched the other barrels!!!

Now Iam wondering since I found the article that he dumped in the HUDSON it made me look at NJ.

I found this woman that floated into the Passaic River which makes me wonder if she is the Mystery Barrel Lady.
The Passaic River runs into the Hudson and she could of floated out of the drum in like May( when the water gets warm and they bodies start popping up) and into the Hudson then with incoming high and low tide could of been pushed into the Passaic by June. Just a thought.

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP1466Female, White / Caucasian
Date Body Found June 16, 1992
Location Found Newark, New Jersey

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number--
ME/C Case Number07921366
Demographics
SexFemale
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Estimated Age GroupAdult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years)40-45
Estimated Year of Death1992
Estimated PMI--

Height4' 11"(59 inches) , Measured
Weight82 lbs, Measured

Circumstances
Date Body FoundJune 16, 1992
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 31, 2008
ME/C QA ReviewedDecember 31, 2011

Location Found Map
LocationNewark, New Jersey
CountyEssex County
GPS Coordinates (Not Mapped)--

Circumstances of RecoveryBody found in Passaic River at the rear of 184 Doremus Avenue in Newark, New Jersey.
Details of Recovery

Inventory of RemainsAll parts recovered
Condition of RemainsNot recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Physical Description
Hair ColorBrown
Head Hair DescriptionSandy-Brown medium left hair

Left Eye ColorBrown
Right Eye ColorBrown
Eye DescriptionBrown
Item
Description
Piercing
Pieced ears

Scar/mark
Old suicidal cuts on both wrists. Mid-line abdominal surgical scar.

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
White lace trim snap bra. White bikini type panties with yellow hearts and yellow waistband, size 5 Blue jeans, size 3. White sweatsocks. Hunter green polo shirt, size small
On the Body

Footwear
Black low-cut Olympian sneakers, size 5.
On the Body

Jewelry
White satin cloth cross on a grey/white thread. A green cross on black thread
On the Body

Case Information

Case Information

Case Numbers
NCMEC Number --
Demographics
SexFemale
Possible First Name --
Possible Middle Name--
Possible Last Name--
Nickname/Alias--
Estimated PMIWeeks
Weight125 lbs, Estimated
Circumstances
Location Found Map
CountyQueens County
Found On Tribal Land--
Details of Recovery

Physical Description
Hair Color Brown
Head Hair Description --
Body Hair Description --
Left Eye Color Unknown
Right Eye Color Unknown
Eye Description absent
No Known Information

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
On the Body

Ok I am back on this oil drum lady.. its possible that this is the Mystery Harlem river oil drum lady.. because if she was dumped in the Harlem River in December she could of made it down this way and come out with the incoming and outgoing high and low tide..

its weird I have stood watching the east river for many years at different hours and different seasons and sometimes it flows one way and sometimes it flows the other way.
But only one night I saw it was flowing faster than I had ever seen before and my friend mentioned that it was because the tide was coming in..(it was so fast it was kind of creepy like anything could of been swept away) I have been thinking of this barrel and the woman I mentioned above. After witnessing the river that night, I can totally see how anything could have been pushed down the river quickly.

Now the reason I dont think the barrel lady is the one I mentioned above is because they could tell her eye color was brown.. and if she was killed in December and was held down in the water and floated up when it got warm and ended up by the Passaic in June... I dont think they could tell that she had brown eyes. However the lady in the barrel was so decomposed they could not tell what she was!.. This to me sound more like a body that was dumped in December in Harlem River and came up once it got warm and made its way to Rockaway... and she is wearing a coat and she was found in August.

Omg Iam getting to the point I want to ask Rifkin myself.. Can you give me some better details on the remaining oil drum ladies.. ha!

Hmm, how likely is it that Rifkin's unknown barrel lady could've made it all the way around Brooklyn to Rockaway Beach? I am not familiar on how NYC rivers/sea currents work.

I have thought about that too. Especially since she was soo decomposed and missing parts and had a coat on.. I think it was more than just weeks.. but that is just me.

Below are maps so you can follow it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dylan O' Cone
Back