NY NY - Manhattan, WhtFem, UP104647, 70-80, found unresponsive after residential fire, tentative name Gilda Abramowitz, March 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Like I've said before, I'm not familiar with all this stuff. What does this mean?
It means that she has been positively identified, via dental records or DNA or fingerprints, but her body has not been claimed. I am not sure for how long the bodies are being kept, but I think there’s a chance she might be buried on Hart Island at some point. I don’t know much about that, maybe someone with more knowledge about this can chime in.

I keep track of Unclaimed Persons on NamUs and I’ll post if her profile is removed in the future. That would normally mean that her body has been claimed.

It means that she has been positively identified, via dental records or DNA or fingerprints, but her body has not been claimed. I am not sure for how long the bodies are being kept, but I think there’s a chance she might be buried on Hart Island at some point. I don’t know much about that, maybe someone with more knowledge about this can chime in.

I keep track of Unclaimed Persons on NamUs and I’ll post if her profile is removed in the future. That would normally mean that her body has been claimed.
In a weird way, I think Gilda would appreciate a Hart Island burial. She and I worked (for 8 years) on visitors guides for New York City, and we were often fascinated by locations that nobody (or very few) can/will visit.

I can try reaching out to HebrewFreeBurial.org, tho.

In a weird way, I think Gilda would appreciate a Hart Island burial. She and I worked (for 8 years) on visitors guides for New York City, and we were often fascinated by locations that nobody (or very few) can/will visit.

Yes please try reaching out

Worth a try.

I, however, think that the Hebrew Free Burial organization might need to wait until Gilda's status changes from 'unclaimed' to 'un claimed / abandoned' (or something to that effect).

My guess is that unclaimed remains are held for a period of time to be claimed by family- even if its unlikely that any will appear. Then, the remains are permitted to be claimed by charitable organizations for burial.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
softhunterstech
Back