NY - Mark David Chapman & the murder of John Lennon, 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The first time I was ever aware of Yoko was her singing "Who Has Seen the Wind?" on the B-side of a Beatles single. Her voice was horrendous.

I don't know if I quite agree with that. John had some issues. He had problems with anger,drinking,drugs,would mock the handicapped,and could be cruel with biting come backs when joking around,smacked Cynthia in the face for dancing with another guy. I loved John,but he did have some major problems.But "wow",he could write and sing some great songs!!

Lets not forget the cruel way his first wife found out about his affair with Ono! wow, poor Cynthia, she seemed like a nice girl. Ive seen her in interviews, I think a part of her still loves him. Julian, to me looks ALOT like his Father.

John was NO saint ... what a screwed up individual..

I know this will not be a popular statement but .. Yes he had musical talent that does not make him a good person...
Back in the day when he and Yoko made their "statements" that was the popular way to go in the artistic culture..
I do wonder had he lived till now if he would still tote the same belief system.

I cant believe its been 28 years.It doesnt seem possible.
I was too young to remember JFK but I know where I was when this happened.
In Montana in my room listening to 14CFUN out of Vancouver Canada in the middle of reading the Playboy John Lennon interview I had just picked up in town.
The DJ announced he'd been shot then played the next song que'd up:Queen. 'Another One Bites the Dust'.... "...out of the doorway the bullets rip...."I still cant hear that song without thinking of that.
Then he came back on the air and confirmed that John Lennon was dead.Unbelievable.
It seems like yesterday.

I remember walking into my HS drama class the next morning to find my good friend dressed all in black, wearing his John Lennon glasses and looking very glum. It was certainly a shock. He was a great musician/artist.

i had just come to live with my auntie and uncle on dec 3. i remember her sitting on the floor crying. i didnt understand what was wrong, and started crying myself. she held me and told me that a good person had died and she was sad. i was only 5 and only years later did i know who.

it is one of my very first memories.

i had just come to live with my auntie and uncle on dec 3. i remember her sitting on the floor crying. i didnt understand what was wrong, and started crying myself. she held me and told me that a good person had died and she was sad. i was only 5 and only years later did i know who.

it is one of my very first memories.
Wow.Thats an awesome story.
I dont get too emotionally involved with 'celeberties' or famous people even if I appreciate their work but that one couldnt have hit me any harder then if one of my personal friends died.
Part of it is being a musician myself but I think he just connected to people on that level.
In some ways he bared so much of himself in his work or seemed to that you did feel like you knew him.
Of course that facet one could say contributed to his death when that connection was filtered through Mark Chapman's twisted psyche.

I was a little over a year old when this happened so of course I don't remember it, but I've come to appreciate much of the music he made and many of his personal views as well. It is too bad that he was silenced forever on this day long ago.

I was driving to my sister's house to babysit my nephew, and I heard it on the radio.

It makes me sad to remember. I was a teenager when the Beatles came to be on the Ed Sullivan show. They are an integral part of my life. Rest in peace, good buddy!

I read an article recently that his son, Sean, finally wrote about how his father's death affected him. It was very difficult for him; he was only about five.

You can have all the money in the world and it's not going to change the lasting trauma of having your father suddenly shot dead.

The phenomenon that was The Beatles, was always bigger than life. Their incredible rise to worldwide fame & fortune, their success & notoriety made them seem untouchable. When Lennon was shot dead, he became both immortal & mortal. It was a defining moment in the lives of baby-boomers.

Many of us recall John's quote* that was the shot heard around the world. It provoked a lot of dialogue at my house & some of my friends had to take their posters down & pack up their albums. I prefer to remember him by others:

"Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one."

"Life is what happens while you are making other plans."

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted."

“Will the people in the cheaper seats clap your hands? And the rest of you, if you'll just rattle your jewels.”

"My role in society, or any artist's or poet's role, is to try and express what we all feel. Not to tell people how to feel. Not as a preacher, not as a leader, but as a reflection of us all.”

“I get by with a little help from my friends.”

"It matters not
Who you love
Where you love
Why you love
When you love
Or how you love
It matters only that you love."

* "We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock and roll or Christianity."

I wasn't born until 1984. But I was raised listening to The Beatles. John Lennon was an incredible man. He left an amazing legacy behind.

I am still very sad about the loss of John. I am a true Beatles freak and John was a great talent. It just feels like it was yesterday. Imagine is my favorite song.

This is a tragedy that never needed to happen.

John did leave us with such much. What a legacy.

"Imagine all the people
Living life in peace"

Always

gozgals

28 years, huh? Wow! Hard to believe. Being born in '62 I was raised on the Beatles. We played their records all the time. There is a radio station here, 98.5FM The Beach, that plays "Breakfast with the Beatles" every morning at 9:30 and I always catch it on my way to work. I wonder what they will play today? RIP John. I miss you.

ETA Oops, that was yesterday and I missed it. Work from home on Mondays and Fridays. Drat.

I was in an art class in high school and we heard it on the radio...they played Beatles songs the rest of the day. Very sad memory...

I was watching Monday Night football in my room talking to my G/F at the time on the phone. When the news scrolled acrossed the bottom of the TV, And then the announcer Howard Cosell I think made the statement. John Lennon has been murdered in NYC. I sat there and then told my G/F she thought i was kidding. Told check the TV out. She picked up another phone and started to cry. Ironic part was there was a MNF game last night. I could only watch part as my head kept flashing back toe that sad day in music history.It was also just as hard when I heard that George had passed away. The beatles will be one of my Favorites for life.

Link

Man who murdered John Lennon up for parole again
By Chris Kokenes, CNN
July 27, 2010 1:23 p.m. EDT

(CNN) -- John Lennon's killer, Mark David Chapman, is up for parole for the sixth time, just months short of the 30th anniversary of the former Beatle's death.

Chapman is scheduled to be interviewed by two members of the parole board during the week of August 9.

Four letters were submitted against Chapman's release this year, according to a representative of the New York State Division of Parole, and there were two letters in support.

The last time Chapman was up for parole, in 2008, the New York State Division of Parole issued a release saying Chapman's request was denied "due to concern for the public safety and welfare." He also was denied parole in 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006....

I don't think he'll get it. The safest place for him, IMO, is prison. He could get killed if he's released.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
world1971
Back