GUILTY NY - Matthew Straton, 31, Rochester, 28 Oct 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I just now started following this story -- how bizarre. We moved here to Rochester just about the time that Matthew went missing, but wasn't keeping up with the local news so much. Here's some recent updates regarding this case. And now I want to go back and read the full story.
Trial is Feb. 23
http://www.democratandchronicle.com.../judge-set-trial-date-lewek-morning/18584557/
http://rochester.twcnews.com/conten...ester-man-accused-of-hiding-body-in-backyard/
No homicide charges; autopsy did not provide enough evidence
http://www.13wham.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/no-homicide-charges-dr-lewek-17443.shtml
http://www.whec.com/news/stories/S3612261.shtml?cat=565

Welcome to Rochester.

This article says Matthew's mother is suing Dr. Lewek with providing Matthew with illegal drugs in his home that caused Matthew's death.

He let him rot away in his backyard. Knowing full well family and friends were frantically looking for Matt the whole time. As Matt's body was decomposing, the "Doctor" went about his life without any regards to Matt or our family. - See more at: http://rochester.twcnews.com/conten...-backyard-faces-lawsuit/#sthash.ofaNlDkC.dpuf

It appears she's fearing this despicable excuse of a doctor will likely not face criminal charges for causing Matthew's death. But she can go after him with civil charges (like with OJ) and pretty much insure he never practices medicine again.

OK, think I’m caught up now on the news articles, and read through this thread. While reading, I realized Matthew lived just 4 miles from our home. I somehow missed all of these goings on except I do remember something about the Niagara river incident, but not that it was tied to a body in the backyard.
Curious…Matthew left his wallet and keys behind at his residence. Why wouldn’t he take his wallet and keys if he were going over to see Dr. Lewek? Did he take his car to get down there, or take the bus?
The felony complaint says Dr. Lewek moved Matthew’s body from the 3rd floor bedroom. What would he have been doing in the bedroom? If he were there as a patient, or even there to buy drugs, why would he end up dying in the bedroom?
If he were only covered with dirt, grass, debris and a patio chair, wouldn’t the neighbors have been smelling a decomposing body? Granted, he died in late October, and it was a harsh winter, and I guess everyone would have had their windows closed…
Dr. Lewek’s practice included treating addictions…and yet, he tested positive for cocaine himself, and had more in his possession than he could use himself -- if he were selling cocaine, was he supplying it to people seeking help for addictions? What a horrid man, and what a blight to the medical profession, to take advantage of people at their weakest, and lead them further into destruction.
Has he given any statement to police as to how Matthew died? He admits Matthew died in the house and that he dragged him down the stairs and covered him up in the backyard – so, what’s he saying as to how he died?

This article says Matthew's mother is suing Dr. Lewek with providing Matthew with illegal drugs in his home that caused Matthew's death.

He let him rot away in his backyard. Knowing full well family and friends were frantically looking for Matt the whole time. As Matt's body was decomposing, the "Doctor" went about his life without any regards to Matt or our family. - See more at: http://rochester.twcnews.com/conten...-backyard-faces-lawsuit/#sthash.ofaNlDkC.dpuf

It appears she's fearing this despicable excuse of a doctor will likely not face criminal charges for causing Matthew's death. But she can go after him with civil charges (like with OJ) and pretty much insure he never practices medicine again.

This was done at the time that Dr Lewek has yet to surrender his license. So he was out on bail & had the "right" to see patients. Matts friends & family were writing to NY state, medical board etc begging for it to be taken. If you go to the FB group that was started about a year ago there is some posts far back from Matts mom about it.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/512269192203750?ref=bookmark

Yes, there was a link in this thread to a posting from Matthew's mother -- the letter sent to her from the medical board that the doctor's license had been temporarily suspended. Temporarily...pending, I suppose, the results of the trial.

I think she's right to pursue civil charges. It doesn't appear criminal charges will be lodged against Lewek for causing the death. But he almost surely did. If, for instance, Matt had taken an overdose before arriving at Lewek's home/office and then fell unconscious, the doctor would have called 911. Or, if Matthew had some sort of medical emergency while at the doctor's office, and then fell unconscious, the doctor would have called 911. But he didn't call 911. He let the young man die. Most likely because he had done something to cause that boy's death -- otherwise, why wouldn't he get help?? Somehow the body ended up in the doctor's bedroom -- either before or after he died. And then this monster, who allowed a young man to die on his watch, without calling for help, dragged that body down two flights of stairs, threw him into the backyard, toss some dirt and leaves and a lawn chair over his body, and then sat there and let that boy's family suffer for 80 days.

I'd sue him for everything he has, and make sure his license is stripped forever.

OK, think I’m caught up now on the news articles, and read through this thread. While reading, I realized Matthew lived just 4 miles from our home. I somehow missed all of these goings on except I do remember something about the Niagara river incident, but not that it was tied to a body in the backyard.
Curious…Matthew left his wallet and keys behind at his residence. Why wouldn’t he take his wallet and keys if he were going over to see Dr. Lewek? Did he take his car to get down there, or take the bus?
The felony complaint says Dr. Lewek moved Matthew’s body from the 3rd floor bedroom. What would he have been doing in the bedroom? If he were there as a patient, or even there to buy drugs, why would he end up dying in the bedroom?
If he were only covered with dirt, grass, debris and a patio chair, wouldn’t the neighbors have been smelling a decomposing body? Granted, he died in late October, and it was a harsh winter, and I guess everyone would have had their windows closed…
Dr. Lewek’s practice included treating addictions…and yet, he tested positive for cocaine himself, and had more in his possession than he could use himself -- if he were selling cocaine, was he supplying it to people seeking help for addictions? What a horrid man, and what a blight to the medical profession, to take advantage of people at their weakest, and lead them further into destruction.
Has he given any statement to police as to how Matthew died? He admits Matthew died in the house and that he dragged him down the stairs and covered him up in the backyard – so, what’s he saying as to how he died?

I'm going to try to answer these wo violating the WS TOS. I probably should have gotten verified on this case but was to busy working the details. I will answer with what I can for now. It's nothing that can hurt the case.
Matt didn't have a car, he rode a bike. Although that wasn't missing. It's believed Matt left unplanned & didn't intend on going far or long. He also left behind his 2 dogs he took in. Those dogs were his babies & he would never leave them alone. They were his babies major indication something was wrong.
Matthew was not known as a current patient of Dr. Lewek and had a dr of his own although you see that in MSM if you watch interviews w mom & grandma. He also told his them just 2 days prior he was seeking additional assistance to get his addictions under control. Matt was getting his life in order but had made previous mistakes-something you'll see mom say many many times in the MSM.
The bedroom-nobody knows. It isn't even known why he was there. But if they were friends maybe it was a guest room? Just throwing out a guess. There's nothing shooting that they knew each other prior to Matts disappearance. Maybe the trial will tell is that in February?
Decomposing-I agree with you. I've actual asked the same, especially because between October & January when Matt was found we had a 2wk stint of warmer weather. I guess what we don't know is when was Matt moved? Was he somewhere else first. If you look at the videos from the coverage of Matt being located you'll see the investigators in a shed of some sort. I've always wondered of Lewek didn't have him there first. Again-maybe we will find it out on trial?
From all that I've heard & read nothing has Lewek telling anything about how Matt died or even why he was at his home. What I've always found odd is that he could have easily just said "We were friends" "We just met & were getting high" or "He was just staying over & I found him like that" There's nothing too crazy about that. I meant you were just caught with a body. If it was innocent why not just say that they were getting high if that was the case? He already was caught w the drugs. I guess this is a person that had someone die in his house & didn't call 911 to assist. Even on top of the fact that he's a dr & took the oath to "do no wrong."
Btw "Lewek is board certified in addiction psychiatry, forensic psychiatry, psychosomatic medicine and geriatric psychiatry." Quoted from the article below.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/19/ny-body-found-backyard-arraignment/5616827/

Knowing that- does anyone else think his specializing in forensic psychiatry has played a role & how he has conducted himself? From the placement in the backyard to putting his car off the embankment but walking into the water to enter a mental hospital....

Yes, there was a link in this thread to a posting from Matthew's mother -- the letter sent to her from the medical board that the doctor's license had been temporarily suspended. Temporarily...pending, I suppose, the results of the trial.

I think she's right to pursue civil charges. It doesn't appear criminal charges will be lodged against Lewek for causing the death. But he almost surely did. If, for instance, Matt had taken an overdose before arriving at Lewek's home/office and then fell unconscious, the doctor would have called 911. Or, if Matthew had some sort of medical emergency while at the doctor's office, and then fell unconscious, the doctor would have called 911. But he didn't call 911. He let the young man die. Most likely because he had done something to cause that boy's death -- otherwise, why wouldn't he get help?? Somehow the body ended up in the doctor's bedroom -- either before or after he died. And then this monster, who allowed a young man to die on his watch, without calling for help, dragged that body down two flights of stairs, threw him into the backyard, toss some dirt and leaves and a lawn chair over his body, and then sat there and let that boy's family suffer for 80 days.

I'd sue him for everything he has, and make sure his license is stripped forever.

All while Matts face sat on a poster on front of his home. :(
My understanding is that Kym doesn't want any money she just wants to make sure that Lewek never forgets Matt & what he's done & what he stole from all that love Matt. She also wants to make sure that he no longer has a "cushy" lifestyle & that the public see him for what he is.

I'm going to try to answer these wo violating the WS TOS. I probably should have gotten verified on this case but was to busy working the details. I will answer with what I can for now. It's nothing that can hurt the case.
Matt didn't have a car, he rode a bike. Although that wasn't missing. It's believed Matt left unplanned & didn't intend on going far or long. He also left behind his 2 dogs he took in. Those dogs were his babies & he would never leave them alone. They were his babies major indication something was wrong.
Matthew was not known as a current patient of Dr. Lewek and had a dr of his own although you see that in MSM if you watch interviews w mom & grandma. He also told his them just 2 days prior he was seeking additional assistance to get his addictions under control. Matt was getting his life in order but had made previous mistakes-something you'll see mom say many many times in the MSM.
The bedroom-nobody knows. It isn't even known why he was there. But if they were friends maybe it was a guest room? Just throwing out a guess. There's nothing shooting that they knew each other prior to Matts disappearance. Maybe the trial will tell is that in February?
Decomposing-I agree with you. I've actual asked the same, especially because between October & January when Matt was found we had a 2wk stint of warmer weather. I guess what we don't know is when was Matt moved? Was he somewhere else first. If you look at the videos from the coverage of Matt being located you'll see the investigators in a shed of some sort. I've always wondered of Lewek didn't have him there first. Again-maybe we will find it out on trial?
From all that I've heard & read nothing has Lewek telling anything about how Matt died or even why he was at his home. What I've always found odd is that he could have easily just said "We were friends" "We just met & were getting high" or "He was just staying over & I found him like that" There's nothing too crazy about that. I meant you were just caught with a body. If it was innocent why not just say that they were getting high if that was the case? He already was caught w the drugs. I guess this is a person that had someone die in his house & didn't call 911 to assist. Even on top of the fact that he's a dr & took the oath to "do no wrong."
Btw "Lewek is board certified in addiction psychiatry, forensic psychiatry, psychosomatic medicine and geriatric psychiatry." Quoted from the article below.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/19/ny-body-found-backyard-arraignment/5616827/

Knowing that- does anyone else think his specializing in forensic psychiatry has played a role & how he has conducted himself? From the placement in the backyard to putting his car off the embankment but walking into the water to enter a mental hospital....

OK, so Matthew's wallet, keys and bike were still at his house? How did he get to Dr. Lewek's place? That would be a very long walk. I don't find it odd that he'd have left the dogs for a few hours, but no wallet, keys, bike? Did someone pick him up?

He told his Mom he was seeking "additional" help with his addictions -- so sounds like that may have been how he hooked up with Dr. Lewek. I suppose, if he were a patient, there would be records of such. If he were a patient, wonder who referred him?

It certainly doesn't sound like a planned stay-over at the doctor's house -- not with dogs at home that would need to be walked and fed.

I'm wondering if anything really will come out in trial about how Matthew died. They're only charging Dr. Lewek with drug possession/trafficking and evidence tampering. Not with manslaughter or negligent homicide or anything like that. And even though the autopsy doesn't show the COD, I really think he should still be charged. A jury just found Ramsaran guilty of murder in Chenango county, and his wife's autopsy didn't reveal precisely how she died either -- but circumstantial evidence clearly pointed to the husband, just as it clearly points to this sorry excuse for a doctor.

OK, so Matthew's wallet, keys and bike were still at his house? How did he get to Dr. Lewek's place? That would be a very long walk. I don't find it odd that he'd have left the dogs for a few hours, but no wallet, keys, bike? Did someone pick him up?

He told his Mom he was seeking "additional" help with his addictions -- so sounds like that may have been how he hooked up with Dr. Lewek. I suppose, if he were a patient, there would be records of such. If he were a patient, wonder who referred him?

It certainly doesn't sound like a planned stay-over at the doctor's house -- not with dogs at home that would need to be walked and fed.

I'm wondering if anything really will come out in trial about how Matthew died. They're only charging Dr. Lewek with drug possession/trafficking and evidence tampering. Not with manslaughter or negligent homicide or anything like that. And even though the autopsy doesn't show the COD, I really think he should still be charged. A jury just found Ramsaran guilty of murder in Chenango county, and his wife's autopsy didn't reveal precisely how she died either -- but circumstantial evidence clearly pointed to the husband, just as it clearly points to this sorry excuse for a doctor.

Ok 1st paragraph-that isn't public knowledge. May come out at trial.
2nd -He told his family that yes, 2 days prior to his disappearance. The rest will be revealed at trial.
3rd-Absolutely agree-my point in the last post is that Lewek very easily could have made that up in order to explain the situation-truth or not. But given that he didn't give a simple explanation IMO makes me think that something much worse took place & he's afraid of what they'll find & how he will later play CYA. Again MOO.
I'm sure that if Dr Lewek is able he will keep what he knows about the COD to himself. However, I hope for his families resolution to this ordeal that SOMETHING points to an answer. Many times Kym has said that this would have still hurt but have been much easier if Dr Lewek had even placed Matt outside and called 911. The 80 days of not knowing and torturing herself daily with what could have happened takes a toll,
As for Remy Ramsaran vs Dr Lewek, I think there was a ton more circumstancial evidence to charge Remy -although I share the feeling that they're both sorry excuses for men. I think because Matt was partially decomposed & there wasn't blood evidence like with Jen, Remys alibi fell apart, Jens autopsy was ruled a homicide, etc..,.unfortunately we don't have this "pile" with Lewek. We have no COD & no motive to kill it's hard to work with that even though all the signs point to HINKY! Ya know?

I've heard the facts in the first paragraph since prior to our local news coverage picking up the case when he was just missing. Or are we talking about how he got to Leweks house?

Kym has been very vocal about everything, so maybe that's where I'm hearing all of this between social media and the groups.

I've heard the facts in the first paragraph since prior to our local news coverage picking up the case when he was just missing. Or are we talking about how he got to Leweks house?

Kym has been very vocal about everything, so maybe that's where I'm hearing all of this between social media and the groups.

Yes, me too. One of the earlier news reports said he left his wallet behind. I haven't gone on the FB sites for Matthew.

As far as comparisons between Matthew and Jennifer Ramsaran -- they were both out in the elements for over 2 months -- except Jen was in the deeper winter, so less decomp probably, although animals had gotten to her body. How she died could not be determined by the pathologist. Her death was ruled a homicide mainly because of the injuries to her body (indicating she was attacked) and the fact that she was found naked on the side of the road. In Matthew's case, Lewek has already admitted he dragged the body down the stairs and out to the back yard and hid it. Those are actions of someone who has something to hide.

I interpreted Abigail as asking how Matt got to Leweks house initially. That's what I was answering anyhow...

Yes, me too. One of the earlier news reports said he left his wallet behind. I haven't gone on the FB sites for Matthew.

As far as comparisons between Matthew and Jennifer Ramsaran -- they were both out in the elements for over 2 months -- except Jen was in the deeper winter, so less decomp probably, although animals had gotten to her body. How she died could not be determined by the pathologist. Her death was ruled a homicide mainly because of the injuries to her body (indicating she was attacked) and the fact that she was found naked on the side of the road. In Matthew's case, Lewek has already admitted he dragged the body down the stairs and out to the back yard and hid it. Those are actions of someone who has something to hide.

In regards to Jen vs Matt-that's exactly my point. In Jens there's proof her death was someone else's fault at least.

In regards to Jen vs Matt-that's exactly my point. In Jens there's proof her death was someone else's fault at least.

Agreed. However, aside from his addictions, Matthew was (as far as I know) a healthy 32 year old man. There was a reason that the doctor tried to hide his death. The evidence we have at hand is that Matthew suffered from addictions, that Dr. Lewek also suffered from addictions, and that Dr. Lewek was found with a relatively large supply of cocaine in his house (enough for police to charge him with dealing). Matthew death was most likely the result of an OD (from drugs supplied by Dr. Lewek), or something that happened to him while he (and/or Lewek) were high (from drugs supplied by Dr. Lewek). The evidence points to Matthew's death (perhaps unintentionally) caused by Dr. Lewek through reckless, negligent or careless actions.

Agreed. However, aside from his addictions, Matthew was (as far as I know) a healthy 32 year old man. There was a reason that the doctor tried to hide his death. The evidence we have at hand is that Matthew suffered from addictions, that Dr. Lewek also suffered from addictions, and that Dr. Lewek was found with a relatively large supply of cocaine in his house (enough for police to charge him with dealing). Matthew death was most likely the result of an OD (from drugs supplied by Dr. Lewek), or something that happened to him while he (and/or Lewek) were high (from drugs supplied by Dr. Lewek). The evidence points to Matthew's death (perhaps unintentionally) caused by Dr. Lewek through reckless, negligent or careless actions.

Oh I totally agree....just not so sure it could be upheld in a court of law.

Grrr...Matthew's mother Kim is passing around a petition to get Lewek's bail revoked. I believe she said this morning that they had over 400 signatures (I signed).

Looking at paper edition of Democrat & Chronicle right now. Story covering yesterday's hearing. Some details that came out:
1) Lewek told police that Matthew died of an overdose. Prosecutors have not revealed specifics from the autopsy regarding his COD.
2) Police approached Lewek on Jan. 10, 2014 because Matthew's phone records showed Lewek's as one of the last that Matthew called before disappearing. At that time, Lewek told police he knew Matthew through a mutual friend and that Matthew had agreed to fix a toilet at Lewek's home. (Question - why so long -- over 2 months -- to approach Lewek? Did it take that long to get the phone records?)
3) Shorty after this, an Ithaca lawyer told police that an individual had info about Lewek -- police said this info firmly pointed to Lewek as a suspect. Police spoke with Lewek again on Jan. 13.
4) Police returned to Dr. Lewek's home on Jan. 15 with a search warrant. This is when Lewek showed them where Matthew was buried. Police found Matthew's body under a mound of debris and dirt.

Another hearing is scheduled for Jan. 28 regarding admissibility of statements Lewek gave police.

Trial is scheduled for February 23.

Grrr...Matthew's mother Kim is passing around a petition to get Lewek's bail revoked. I believe she said this morning that they had over 400 signatures (I signed).

Looking at paper edition of Democrat & Chronicle right now. Story covering yesterday's hearing. Some details that came out:
1) Lewek told police that Matthew died of an overdose. Prosecutors have not revealed specifics from the autopsy regarding his COD.
2) Police approached Lewek on Jan. 10, 2014 because Matthew's phone records showed Lewek's as one of the last that Matthew called before disappearing. At that time, Lewek told police he knew Matthew through a mutual friend and that Matthew had agreed to fix a toilet at Lewek's home. (Question - why so long -- over 2 months -- to approach Lewek? Did it take that long to get the phone records?)
3) Shorty after this, an Ithaca lawyer told police that an individual had info about Lewek -- police said this info firmly pointed to Lewek as a suspect. Police spoke with Lewek again on Jan. 13.
4) Police returned to Dr. Lewek's home on Jan. 15 with a search warrant. This is when Lewek showed them where Matthew was buried. Police found Matthew's body under a mound of debris and dirt.

Another hearing is scheduled for Jan. 28 regarding admissibility of statements Lewek gave police.

Trial is scheduled for February 23.

As for #2 it took LE a LONG time to access Matt's phone records. Matt had straight talk & the contract was difficult to track down. Unlike normal carriers, straight talk contracts can be sold from one to another. From there it can take awhile to obtain records that are only held for a short period of time. I don't believe it took 2 months but there were other things going on in the case & that investigator wasn't the original I believe he took over while the other has vacation and then kept the case IIRC.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayraeyn123
Back