CONVICTION OVERTURNED NY - Michaela MacVilla, 21, found deceased, Canajoharie, 25 Sept 2018 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm in the process of buying a house 10 miles from there, in Canajoharie, but haven't closed on it yet. The beauty of the area drove me there, and now I'm seeing how this community is standing by the family's side- organizing a meal train, funding, donations of needed items, candlelight vigils, etc. Amazing. Just amazing.

I'm confident they'll advocate for Justice for Michaela starting very soon, and I'll be cheering them on.
You will love Canjo, I love the main st and all the little family owned shops and restaurants. Plus it smells like candy. It is a great community and what happened to Michaela is very much out of the norm for this area. I still feel 100% safe in the area.

I'm in the process of buying a house 10 miles from there, in Canajoharie, but haven't closed on it yet. The beauty of the area drove me there, and now I'm seeing how this community is standing by the family's side- organizing a meal train, funding, donations of needed items, candlelight vigils, etc. Amazing. Just amazing.

I'm confident they'll advocate for Justice for Michaela starting very soon, and I'll be cheering them on.
Canjo has some really neat old architecture and homes at pretty good prices :) The golf course is quite nice, too, as well as the Mohawk, the surrounding scenery, history.. Best wishes to you! Overall, our rural communities are friendly and pretty kind, as you've discovered. I'm a county over, but not far at all as the crow flies. Things like this don't often happen around here, but there is the scourge of drugs as that seems to be everywhere :(

I am from St.J this has rocked our small little village. I wish we knew more there are so many rumors and stories, mainly because everyone is speculating, its a small town people talk this is big. I know all the neighboring villages and towns are also dealing with this. To loose a 21 year old in the prime of her life is just so sad. I hope if anyone knows anything they come forward as this family needs peace and closure. The family just lost another tragically she was 24, this should not be happening.
Rumors, fears and speculation are unfortunately the norm when something like this occurs. It's human nature, but too often take on a life of their own. I feel that the SP and local LE will be doing a good job with this, and I honestly think the more updating LE can do, without jeopardizing anything, the fewer rumors might become. JMO.

Rumors, fears and speculation are unfortunately the norm when something like this occurs. It's human nature, but too often take on a life of their own. I feel that the SP and local LE will be doing a good job with this, and I honestly think the more updating LE can do, without jeopardizing anything, the fewer rumors might become. JMO.
Holy cow you are not kidding about that rumor mill. It’s just so small and everybody knows everybody, plus we have some huge families around here so word travels fast. Everybody wants to help any way they can and I’m sure most are well meaning. And people are rightly scared and want answers so it probably makes them feel a bit better by having a suspect in mind, even though it may not be them. Heck for all we know it was some random person traveling rte 5 with bad intentions.

Though they've opened a criminal investigation, New York State Police in Latham wouldn't rule out suicide as a possible cause of death.

Michaela is the third family member to be mourned in the last few months. Her sister passed away unexpectedly a month ago. Her grandfather passed away two months ago.

Family of St. Johnsville woman has third loss this year

Canjo has some really neat old architecture and homes at pretty good prices :) The golf course is quite nice, too, as well as the Mohawk, the surrounding scenery, history.. Best wishes to you! Overall, our rural communities are friendly and pretty kind, as you've discovered. I'm a county over, but not far at all as the crow flies. Things like this don't often happen around here, but there is the scourge of drugs as that seems to be everywhere :(
Thank you! I'm a county over, too. Otsego County, Cooperstown. This area is very beautiful, and the people are very kind. Yes, drugs are a problem everywhere - especially with the heroin epidemic

You will love Canjo, I love the main st and all the little family owned shops and restaurants. Plus it smells like candy. It is a great community and what happened to Michaela is very much out of the norm for this area. I still feel 100% safe in the area.

I don't feel any less safe up there either. There is evil hiding everywhere, in every community. Our rural areas thankfully see it very rarely.

I just saw on social media that an elderly couple from Canjo took their car out for their morning ride this morning and never returned home. Yikes.

Still no autopsy results in death of missing Montgomery County woman

October 04, 2018

"There are still no autopsy results on the body of a missing Montgomery County woman found dead on Tuesday....

Police say this is a criminal investigation, but they are not yet calling it a homicide...."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you! I'm a county over, too. Otsego County, Cooperstown. This area is very beautiful, and the people are very kind. Yes, drugs are a problem everywhere - especially with the heroin epidemic

Hi - Totally OT, but had to mention it. Do you know Nick ----- Park? He was my great uncle. Never been there; but my parents were multiple times. I know it is a very beautiful area. Thanks and sorry for the OT, but I don't often find anyone who is from Cooperstown. Thanks Katt

October 04, 2018

"There are still no autopsy results on the body of a missing Montgomery County woman found dead on Tuesday....

Police say this is a criminal investigation, but they are not yet calling it a homicide...."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I suppose if a body is badly decomposed, or otherwise damage, autopsy might be a challenge. Or, it's just taking a while?

Hi - Totally OT, but had to mention it. Do you know Nick ----- Park? He was my great uncle. Never been there; but my parents were multiple times. I know it is a very beautiful area. Thanks and sorry for the OT, but I don't often find anyone who is from Cooperstown. Thanks Katt
Hmmmm, nope, I don't know Nick Park, but do know quite a few Nick's in town. ;)

I don't feel any less safe up there either. There is evil hiding everywhere, in every community. Our rural areas thankfully see it very rarely.

I just saw on social media that an elderly couple from Canjo took their car out for their morning ride this morning and never returned home. Yikes.
Omg i know! I’m hoping they took a unexpected trip to Turning Stone or something. That is scary and also out of the ordinary.

Last edited:
I suppose if a body is badly decomposed, or otherwise damage, autopsy might be a challenge. Or, it's just taking a while?
If a POI(s) is still at large, they may not release the results until there is enough evidence for an arrest warrant. If they release too early and it's ruled homicide and the person knows they are on LE's radar they may flee the area.

Funeral to be held Sunday for Michaela MacVilla

According to her obituary, MacVilla enjoyed her job at Stewart’s and being active in her community. She liked to spend time with family and friends, and when she was at home, she could be found cuddling with her cat, "Mr. Perfect."

A funeral service will be held at 4 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 7 at the Oppenheim-Ephratah-St. Johnsville High School, located at 44 Center St. in St. Johnsville. Calling hours for family and friends will be held prior to the funeral, from 1-4 p.m.

FAMILY OF MICHAELA MACVILLA WAITING FOR ANSWERS, CLINGING TO SUPPORT

"Two days after a private citizen found the body of 21-year-old Michaela MacVilla on his property along Kringsbush Road in Oppenheim, Fulton County on Tuesday, a New York State Police roadblock remained on Kringsbush, near Baum Road.

"They want to make sure that whoever is responsible is brought to justice," said MacVilla's aunt, Cora Murray.

State police aren't releasing Michaela MacVilla's manner of death, for example – homicide, suicide, accidental – until they have results of an autopsy, performed by Dr. Michael Sikirica at Albany Medical Center. State police don't have a time frame for that, but MacVilla's family says police have told them how she died.

"They've told us cause of death, which I'm not going to convey. That's up to law enforcement to pass on that type of information," said Murray...."

Family of Michaela MacVilla waiting for answers, clinging to support

So the aunt says she has been told the cause of death? And wants justice. Hmmm.
Cause, but not manner. AFAIK. It sounds as if they know both, though, and I can understand keeping it quiet. Then again, perhaps LE or the pathologist is awaiting a bit more investigation or results before a definitive manner. It's always possible the aunt mixed up cause and manner, too, as many folks do.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Megan phillips lynch
Back