NY - Minerliz Soriano, 13, assaulted & murdered leaving school, Bronx, Feb 1999 *Arrest in 2021*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Familial DNA search leads to arrest of suspect in 20-year-old cold case

A cold case more than 20 years old is finally pushing forward after a breakthrough in technology led to an arrest in the death of Minerliz Soriano late last year.

Police say DNA technology helped lead them to Joseph Martinez, now the main suspect in the case.

NYPD officers say they never stopped searching for the answer in the decadeslong murder case.

Minerliz Soriano, 13, was last seen leaving her Allerton School in the Bronx on a February afternoon before her body was discovered four days later in a dumpster behind a Co-op City video store.

According to NYPD officers, she was sexually assaulted, strangled and then placed in garbage bags before being placed in the dumpster where she was later found.

Twenty years after the murder, an application was submitted to comb through the 700,000 profiles in New York’s DNA database for convicted criminals and then a little more than a year later, a lead was found.

The DNA search led to a man who had since died, and from him, a family tree was created.
Two of the man's five sons were immediately ruled out as suspects because of their age.

The NYPD collected DNA samples and eventually matched the DNA to “Jupiter Joe” or Joseph Martinez, a now 49-year-old amateur astronomer who’d lived two floors above the victim and avoided suspicion at the time.

Familial DNA search leads to arrest of suspect in 20-year-old cold case
SBBM
A cold case more than 20 years old is finally pushing forward after a breakthrough in technology led to an arrest in the death of Minerliz Soriano late last year. Police say DNA technology helped lead them to Joseph Martinez, now the main suspect in the case. [snip] Joseph Martinez has plead not guilty to two counts of murder and is due back in court on March 7.

Is it possible to see if he is still incarcerated or out on bail? Again thanks i appreciate you help

Is it possible to see if he is still incarcerated or out on bail? Again thanks i appreciate you help

He’s still incarcerated.

JOSEPH MARTINEZ​

Custody Record
Age51
RaceUnknown
NY: New York City Department of Correction
ID Number82521*****
Custody Status: IN CUSTODY
Custody DetailNew York City Department of Corrections

He’s still incarcerated.

JOSEPH MARTINEZ​

Custody Record
Age51
RaceUnknown
NY: New York City Department of Correction
ID Number82521*****
Custody Status: IN CUSTODY
Custody DetailNew York City Department of Corrections

Hi can you help me find this guy's name please.

Hi can you help me find this guy's name please.
Detectives charged him with rape and abduction with intent to defile, but are not releasing his name because he was a juvenile when the offenses occurred.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paperdoll1
Back