Identified! NY - Mount Vernon, WhtFem 51UFNY, 18-25, Left Near Junkyard, Feb'88 - Veronica Wiederhold

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A member of Veronica's family told me that they know where Veronica is buried. I assume she originally had a private burial done at the expense of the county or state.

I also worked on another case recently where the victim was buried in a private cemetery and a church donated the plot, so that may also be a possibility.

Either way, I am just thankful the family knows where she is and has a proper place to pay their respects.

A member of Veronica's family told me that they know where Veronica is buried. I assume she originally had a private burial done at the expense of the county or state.

I also worked on another case recently where the victim was buried in a private cemetery and a church donated the plot, so that may also be a possibility.

Either way, I am just thankful the family knows where she is and has a proper place to pay their respects.
Wow, thank you for this brilliant update. I am so relieved that her burial has been located at last and that her family know where her last resting place is.

I assume when cold case unit took over the case in last year and when genealogy work began on her case they were also searching for her burial until they found it.

They have done such a brilliant work on this case in such a short time frame (about a year) and really got it all done.

I really hope at some point in the future, even little bit of information, some snippets, will be released about Veronica and her life. Maybe at some point even photo.

With this being now active homicide investigation, hopefully we will be hearing some updates on that too in next few months. Fingers crossed

Interesting read. I always though her body was staged in that way to mock the police.

"Obispo also followed up on the owners of the junkyard, who revealed that it was their nephew who first spotted the body, but they refused to give his name up because they claimed he had previous troubles with the law and wanted to keep him out.

The cop says he was curious about why the body had been placed close to a yard guarded by a Belgian Malinois dog, which would likely have barked at a stranger.

Although the detective believed the nephew could be a key witness or suspect, Ossipo was unable to pin down his identity and he was never named a suspect"

If the nephew was involved somehow i wonder how come they couldn't find his name considering they talked to his relative when they first came to the scene. Bad police work.

"Murphy said her department is also in the process of getting an amended death certificate that will officially recognize Jane Doe as Veronica Weiderhold"

Could this be the reason why so many identifed does names are withheld or why we still haven't seen a photo of veronica yet?

Last edited:
Interesting read. I always though her body was staged in that way to mock the police.

"Obispo also followed up on the owners of the junkyard, who revealed that it was their nephew who first spotted the body, but they refused to give his name up because they claimed he had previous troubles with the law and wanted to keep him out.

The cop says he was curious about why the body had been placed close to a yard guarded by a Belgian Malinois dog, which would likely have barked at a stranger.

Although the detective believed the nephew could be a key witness or suspect, Ossipo was unable to pin down his identity and he was never named a suspect"

If the nephew was involved somehow i wonder how come they couldn't find his name considering they talked to his relative when they first came to the scene. Bad police work.

"Murphy said her department is also in the process of getting an amended death certificate that will officially recognize Jane Doe as Veronica Weiderhold"

Could this be the reason why so many identifed does names are withheld or why we still haven't seen a photo of veronica yet?
Maybe that's the reason. But I've always thought so many names are withheld because the family wants it that way or because the police are still investigating.

I'm surprised that the DNA under the finger nails isn't on the forensic genealogy trail right now. Once you nail that person down and get a sample of that DNA then you can try an arrest.

It sounds like she a local exotic dancer that got caught up in the wrong circles and murdered. It reminds of the Sopranos character Tracee who was largely murdered and forgotten.

Mt. Vernon had 2 or maybe 3 gentleman's clubs at the time including one very near the scene where she was found. MVPD went to all and interviewed, with no luck. If she was in fact dancing, I doubt it was here. I know they also went into the Bronx and checked clubs there but I don't know if they went to all of the Bronx clubs. Maybe just the ones on the Mt. Vernon border.

I'm surprised that the DNA under the finger nails isn't on the forensic genealogy trail right now. Once you nail that person down and get a sample of that DNA then you can try an arrest.

It sounds like she a local exotic dancer that got caught up in the wrong circles and murdered. It reminds of the Sopranos character Tracee who was largely murdered and forgotten.

Has there been any updates? I read the one where the police stated that they have a suspect. I'm not sure what the problem(s) could be, that are preventing them from making an arrest?

I'd like to see a "living photo" of this poor girl.

There are no updates yet, it's my understanding that MVPD is keeping quiet as this is an active investigation.

The family has chosen not to release photos of Veronica.

Has there been any updates? I read the one where the police stated that they have a suspect. I'm not sure what the problem(s) could be, that are preventing them from making an arrest?

I'd like to see a "living photo" of this poor girl.

It's my understanding that the family is choosing not to release photos of Veronica publicly.

I can't at all say I blame them. After the harassment Marcia King (Buckskin Girl)'s family received after her identification, I understand why families of recently identified individuals want to withhold as much information as they can.

If you're curious there may be a photo of her from some old yearbook. I think she's from Brooklyn.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sonya702
Back