NY - One killed, 22 injured, Times Square, 18 May 2017 *Arrest* *insanity*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ugh. This is terrible. That poor family who will have to live with this for the rest of their lives :/

this loser reminds me a lot of the who did something very similar in Melbourne earlier this year. Full of anger and hate at the world, saying he wants to kill people, indiscriminately driving into a crowd on a busy street. Nothing remotely "terrorism" (though what is it, if not terror?) related - not religious or political - just a very broken, angry man.

Nobody can plan or prevent these things either. And sad to say it will probably happen more often as more broken, angry people realise they can do this.

I can't understand why these broken, angry people don't just kill themselves before they kill others. Have to ruin other lives first.

ETA and I for one am NOT going to say 'better mental health services' can fix this. I know many mentally ill people. I have known them personally and worked with them too. Not a single one would dream of doing this. This transcends "mental health". Some people are just freaking evil.

May 19 2017, 12:44 am ET

Car Rams Into Pedestrians in NYC’s Times Square, Killing at Least 1

by Tom Winter, Jonathan Dienst and Erik Ortiz

NEW YORK — A wrong-way driver plowed into pedestrians in the heart of Manhattan's bustling Times Square district minutes before noon Thursday, killing at least one person and injuring nearly two dozen others, city officials said.

The high-speed 11:55 a.m. crash — which authorities initially said appeared accidental, and which is not believed related to international terrorism — left an 18-year-old woman dead at the scene and another 22 people injured, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio told reporters.

The driver of the 2009 Honda Accord, identified as 26-year-old Richard Rojas, was in custody and was charged late Thursday with second-degree murder, 20 counts of attempted murder and five counts of aggravated vehicular homicide, police said...

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/car-rams-pedestrians-nyc-s-times-square-n761556

My hubby was there yesterday. Got home late last night, and am I ever grateful.

The pictures of him getting out of the car leave me feeling he did this on purpose. He looked so full of rage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The question is what did those poor people ever do to him? He is not entitled to being enraged. Frankly, he looks like a child throwing a temper tantrum after murdering and maiming people.

His face frankly makes me feel violent. Sorry to say. Hopping around in a tantrum after he just killed people?

On another subject, why are pedestrian areas not protected by those barriers? I can't think of the name but theyre columns that come up about waist high and prevent cars from going into pedestrian areas or up against buildings. Seems like an NOT too expensive fix for areas like this that could be targets of lunatics or terrorists.

We had a case like this out here in California a few years back in Venice beach. This can be prevented with those pile ons? http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/03/us/california-venice-beach-crash/

most likely won't spend the rest of his life in jail unfortunately. He'll probably walk after 10 years, scary thought huh?

No. I don't know of one case like this where the person got off like that. The closest is the affluenza teen. But this guy isn't a rich teenager. He will
be sentenced to life or close. IMO.

The Times Square incident reminded me of this OK case:

CBS/AP January 10, 2017, 4:19 PM

Adacia Chambers sentenced in deadly Oklahoma State homecoming crash

STILLWATER, Okla. -- A woman charged with killing four people and injuring dozens more by driving her car into spectators at Oklahoma State University’s 2015 homecoming parade was sentenced Tuesday to life in prison after accepting a plea deal.

Adacia Chambers, 26, was sentenced in Payne County District Court after pleading no contest to four counts of second-degree murder and 39 counts of assault and battery.

Chambers was due to stand trial Tuesday and prosecutors had estimated it could have lasted a month due to the extensive list of potential witnesses, including victims, first-responders and detectives...*

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/adacia-chambers-oklahoma-state-homecoming-crash-sentenced/

http://www.cp24.com/news/canadian-woman-38-critically-injured-in-times-square-crash-1.3421920
Canadian woman critically injured in Times Square
New York City police say a Canadian woman remains in critical condition after a driver slammed his speeding car into pedestrians in Times Square, CTV News has learned. Authorities called the crash a deliberate attack.

The 38-year-old woman is among seven people still in hospital following the incident, Chief of Manhattan Detectives William Aubry told reporters on Friday.
Her condition is “very critical, Aubrey said.

She has yet to be identified publicly by authorities.
"Our thoughts are with the Canadian citizen ... and with the other victims of this tragic incident," Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Austin Jean told CP24 in an email.

http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/World/2017/05/21/22725970.html
In a jailhouse interview on Saturday, Richard Rojas told the New York Post that he recently spoke to a mental health counsellor at a local veteran’s centre but they never got back to him. “I was trying to get help,” Rojas told the newspaper from Rikers Island. “I wanted to fix my life. I wanted to get a job. Get a girlfriend.”
“I just want to apologize to all the victims’ families ... I want to apologize to my mom,” Rojas said tearfully during the interview.

“The last thing I remember is driving in my car,” Rojas recalled. “Then, I woke up in the precinct ... I was terrified.”

Dad of young Michigan woman killed in car rampage leaves heartbreaking letter in Times Square
"I have a hole in my heart... I love you kid."

By Ken Haddad , Associated Press

Posted: 1:51 PM, May 22, 2017

DETROIT - The father of the 18-year-old woman killed by a speeding car in New York last week left a heartbreaking letter in Times Square.

An 18-year-old Michigan woman was killed Thursday in New York City when a wrong way driver crashed into a crowd of pedestrians on the sidewalk in Times Square.

Alyssa Elsman, of Portage, was hit on the sidewalk between West 42nd and 43rd streets just before noon. She was pronounced dead at the scene...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...e-leaves-heartbreaking-letter-in-times-square

posted - 11 May 2022

"Shocking new footage of a car barreling into pedestrians in Times Square has emerged at the murder trial of Bronx man Richard Rojas.

Surveillance video released by the Manhattan District Attorney's office shows a burgundy sedan driven by Rojas making a sharp U-turn on 7th Street.

The car then drives over the sidewalk, ramming down everyone in its way across three city blocks at incredible speeds.

Rojas is facing life in prison on charges of murder, attempted murder and aggravated vehicular homicide for the May 18, 2017 incident. His trial began on Monday.

In the video, bodies are seen strewn above and below the car as it continues on its path of destruction.

It crashes against a curb and ends up with its two side wheels in the air. Rojas then gets out of the car, jumps up and down and flails his arms."

Trial continues for Richard Rojas, suspect in fatal Times Square crash

CBS New York - May 10, 2022

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teadoughnutsdogbanjo