Found Deceased NY - Paul McKay, 31, Saranac Lake, 31 Dec 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-...-fails-to-board-return-flight-from-us/5202554

(BBM)

"An Australian soldier who has been missing in the US for 16 days has failed to turn up for his return flight to Australia."

<snip>

"His flight from Newark to Los Angeles was due to leave at 1:25 pm on Wednesday (local time), but he did not show up.

Authorities at Los Angeles airport are on alert, in case he turns up to catch the connecting flight to Australia later today. "

<snip>

"When Captain McKay checked out of his hotel in Saranac Lake and walked into the woods, it was just before the polar vortex hit.

The wind sent temperatures down to minus 30 degrees Celsius for days.

Captain McKay left behind personal items after checking out of his hotel - including his camera and clothes. "

(more at link)

I wonder why he purchased a round trip ticket if his plan was not to return. Ya know?

I also find it interesting that he left his camera and clothes.

Why Upstate New York of all places? Had he ever been to Fort Drum or Plattsburgh AFB or did he know any soldiers/airmen who were/are stationed there? It just seems curious that of all the places on Earth that one could go, that one would go there.

Unfortunately, if he had decided to attempt to "rough it", he picked a bad year. The temps up there have been colder than they have been in decades. Even an experienced camper with an excellent plan and the resources to make it would have a difficult time.

Unless he has some means of communication with him or he is now traveling with another person, it seems likely that we may have to wait until the weather warms up before we know what has occurred.

Just heard on Australian show The Project, that Paul's body has believed to have been found. Did any other Aussies hear that? Can't find any other media on it. Hope it's not true.

Just heard on Australian show The Project, that Paul's body has believed to have been found. Did any other Aussies hear that? Can't find any other media on it. Hope it's not true.

Oh no ... I hope not :( I missed The Project tonight, and can't find anything on MSM yet. Still searching ......

I never watch The Project, it just happened to be on in the background. Had to rewind on the DVR to make sure I heard it properly. They just said they believe they had found his body, and that his family has been notified :(

I have not watched any news programmes tonight so don't know if they had any mention of it.

He left his camera behind...wonder what he took pictures of to leave behind...

Yes, he seemed to be setting up for people not to see him again ... starting a FB page a couple of days before he left and putting a few photos on it, leaving his camera with potential photos (for his parents?) on it.

I wonder why he purchased a round trip ticket if his plan was not to return. Ya know?

I also find it interesting that he left his camera and clothes.

In my experience, if a person is going to the US for a visit, you have to have your ticket to leave and Customs/Immigration needs to see it before they let you in.

ETA: These days, Homeland Security also take a fingerprint scan and a photo of each visitor to the US when you are going through Customs/Immigration ... just a bit of trivia :)

Dammit! I haven't heard anything, and there is nothing on MSM.

Christ I hope someone got their wires crossed.

:please:

ETA: These days, Homeland Security also take a fingerprint scan and a photo of each visitor to the US when you are going through Customs/Immigration ... just a bit of trivia :)

Oooh yes, they have my fingerprint on file too.

Well I have been searching and nothing else is coming up about Paul being found. Would love to know where The Project got this piece of news from.

I even recorded it off the tv with my iPhone so I know I didn't just imagine it.

It's not even on Twitter. I thought The Project might have tweeted it, but no. No one has. Strange indeed. And there's no update out of Saranac Lake either.

It is at 18:55 ... pics of him in the terminal, and him in his uniform ... http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/2014/1/16

"It is believed the body of an Australian soldier who went missing in the US on New Year's Eve has been found.
Captain Paul McKay was on leave from the Army after developing post traumatic stress following a tour of Afghanistan.
The Defence Force says his family have been notified"

Sounds pretty definite to me. :(

So sad ... so young. Rest peacefully Paul :rose: You did us proud.

Gah and you have to watch it all, no option to fast forward. It's on there at the 18:50 mark.

I'm so saddened to hear this, RIP Paul :( I hope you found the peace you were looking for.

It is at 18:55 ... pics of him in the terminal, and him in his uniform ... http://tenplay.com.au/channel-ten/the-project/2014/1/16

"It is believed the body of an Australian soldier who went missing in the US on New Year's Eve has been found.
Captain Paul McKay was on leave from the Army after developing post traumatic stress following a tour of Afghanistan.

Many thanks SouthAussie - those links you posted wont open for me so I appreciate your update about Paul. So very sad. :(

I&#8217;d say Paul could be the 4th Aussie digger to die as a result of the Sorkh Bed Forward Operating Base incident in Oct 2011.

&#8230; he was a battle captain on shift at Sorkh Bed Forward Operating Base in October 2011 when an Afghan soldier opened fire on a group of 10 Australian soldiers, killing three and an interpreter, and seriously injuring seven other Australian troops.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act...-york-state-20140114-30tc0.html#ixzz2qYy6DmZQ

At 8.20am on October 29, that peace was shattered in the most brutal and inexplicable of ways. The Afghan soldiers had been dismissed by their commanding officer, and the Australians turned to walk back to their compound, a barricaded corner of the larger Afghan camp.
''That's when the rounds started cracking out,'' Corporal Searle tells The Age.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/i-wa...l-went-down-20111120-1npe4.html#ixzz2qYzCRnSK

I'm not getting the Aussie links. Sorry if repost Found this:

Missing Aussie Paul McKay fails to board US flight

HOPES that missing Australian soldier Captain Paul McKay would appear at a New Jersey airport for the first leg of his scheduled flight back to Australia have been dashed.

"At this point he has not boarded a plane,'' Saranac Lake police sergeant James Law said today.

Capt McKay was last seen on New Year's Eve walking on railroad tracks in the Adirondack Mountains in upstate New York.

A ground search of the dense forest area involving Saranac Lake police, state rangers and volunteers has failed to find any clues to where Capt McKay might be.

He has been suffering post-traumatic stress disorder after a tour of Afghanistan and is on leave from the Australian Army.

Capt McKay, 31, purchased an Australia to the US round-trip airfare, with the return leg beginning from New Jersey's Newark Liberty International Airport to Los Angeles earlier today.

He was then scheduled to fly from LA to Australia.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...-board-us-flight/story-e6frg6nf-1226802936654

Can't get this to open. :banghead:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CurtisEmant
Back