Found Deceased NY - Peter Beard, 82, (ex husband of Cheryl Tiegs) Montauk, 31 March 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He discovered supermodel Iman, whose real first name is Zara. Beard named his daughter Zara. interesting fun fact.
Photos of him in younger days reveal a very handsome fella.

amateur opinion and speculation.

in another article about the russian prostitute sitch:

https://nypost.com/2017/01/09/photographers-wife-put-him-in-psych-ward-after-he-brought-home-hookers/?utm_source=twitter_sitebuttons&utm_medium=site buttons&utm_campaign=site buttons

"The bizarre marital drama surfaced in an ongoing Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit that Peter Beard filed against a wealthy California collector named Bernie Chase.

Beard sued Chase in 2015 to get back three of his photos the collector claimed to have paid $100,000 for via an assistant to the photographer.

Beard claims he was sick and unable to make the handshake deal.

Chase’s attorney, Larry Hutcher said the incident with the Russian hookers is relevant to the case.

“All of those past events that took place regarding when he was hospitalized we believe are absolutely relevant to his credibility and should be fully explored,” Hutcher said.

Another recently settled lawsuit by a model muse of the photographer claimed that Nejma Beard kept her husband on a tight financial lease, and even made him sleep on the marble floor of their apartment at the Osborne on W. 57th Street."

o_Oo_Oo_O

Another article about the wife. I don't get a good vibe from her. Hanger-on, manipulative, no discernible skills, social contacts, education or talents of her own.

After His Wife Becomes His Agent, Peter Beard Loses Pals, Gets Sued

Peter had the world on a string, until he didn’t. In the late 80s, he met and married an Afghani woman named Nejma Khanum. The marriage went sour but she held on, became his agent, took control of his business affairs, cancelled deals he had made, and alienated many of his long-time friends and associates. Now they are being sued by one of those former associates. This is the story.

For the last couple of years, Peter and Nejma have been regulars in the gossip columns, and not much of it has been flattering. Peter would be sighted making out in a nightclub or a restaurant with an attractive woman, and Nejma would issue a statement denying it happened, even though photos proved otherwise. Things got worse.

Let’s go back to last year, when New York magazine ran a story called “Taming Peter Beard”. The subhead, known as the deck, read as follows: “The photographer, playboy, and Warhol pal never seemed to care much about his legacy or making money. Now that he’s 75, his wife, Nejma, wants to change all that—even if it means clawing back work he used to pay off bar tabs and infuriating his friends.”

Or maybe he was broke and she was helping him regain some assets to support himself? IDK, he came from a wealthy family.

That was then, this is now. Writes Kolker, “For much of their life together, Nejma, twenty years younger, played the role of the devoted and tolerant spouse, not involving herself with her husband’s work and allowing him his dalliances with drugs, alcohol and other women. Recently, however, that has changed: Nejma is now actively seeking to secure Peter’s legacy—and his financial future….She prefers to sell directly to collectors now rather than work with galleries, to more carefully control the value of his work. Perhaps most controversially, for financial and legacy reasons, she has taken steps to reclaim, or claw back, some of the works Beard has given away over the years, a move that has infuriated some of his old friends. ‘She’s trying to control the purse strings and keep him on a short leash,’ says one friend. ‘She’s eager to establish him before he dies as an important artist. That’s going to be her nest egg.’”

BBM, this article was written in 2014.

What a character! (I had to Google/Wiki him). IMHO, his dementia, and his per-dementia wanderlust, will be the reasons for his disappearance. Often, people with dementia wander off and can't find their way back. The grandmother of a friend of mine went missing several years ago near the former Fort Ord, where there are a lot of abandoned barracks and military housing. Some of the military housing has been re-purposed into civilian residences and my friend's grandmother lived in one of those residences. One day, she wandered off. People searched for her for days, and she was found dead about a week later in one of the abandoned residences, where she had gone to seek shelter. Also, some years back, I met an elderly gent on my street who was lost. Fortunately, he remembered his address and I was able to drive him home to his wife, who was most grateful. So these two incidents color my judgment as to what happened to Mr. Beard. I hope he is found soon, but I fear he may be deceased. MOO

Missing Photographer Peter Beard's Daughter Asks for Help Finding Him as Official Search Wraps
“I know this is the most difficult time, amidst a pandemic, to ask for your help,” Zara wrote. “It is a time when we need to stay at home for the good of everyone around us, but my father is out there somewhere, missing.”

She continued, “He is strong but the nights have been cold and he has a heart condition and I am afraid that as every minute passes by so does the hope that he is able to survive.”

Zara, whom Beard shares with wife Nejma, asked for any and all healthy and able-bodied people to join the search for the famed photographer in a “socially responsible” way.

“I know he is out there, and with your help we can bring him home,” she wrote. “Anyone who would like to join our rescue mission please text me… It is just in our hands now…”

2016 article - Although this is an older article, it includes a wonderful photo of Peter Beard (by Zara Beard)

From Zebra Bones to the Rolling Stones: The Wild Life of Peter Beard

unspecified-3.jpeg

That doesn't sound good...
Beard definitely sounds like a colorful character (from the previous article):

Beard has never held his preferred medium in high regard. “Most photographers are idiots. That’s the horrendous truth. It’s a parasite field. Because all you have to do is squeeze your index finger, and you’ve got yourself a profession,” Beard once said.

In 2013, when honored by the Gordon Parks Foundation, Beard told the crowd he had no idea why he was being honored. “I’m being honored for doing what I like to do. But I’ll go along with it.”

I have to admit when I first saw he was missing I thought he may have high tailed it out of there. To get away from it all. SO in that respect I had to agree with Cheryl that is his personality. Yes he is 82 with dementia but I don't think he lost his crazy lifestyle ambitions. At least I hope he took off!

She’s quoted as comparing his free spirit with the night after they were married- not coming home till dawn. You’d think she’d get that being 82 with dementia might be a little different. I doubt he’s on the cross-country joyride she proposes. Jmo
I agree, I'm baffled why a celebrity ex-model who divorced him 35 years ago would be an expert on his current state of mind, age 82 with dementia.

Also, the Russian prostitute/hospital incident allegedly occurred in 2013, it may well have been exacerbated by early dementia. The story appears to have been revealed by Peter Beard's attorney in the context of a lawsuit, as a defence that Beard wasn't in his right mind at the time and so couldn't have lawfully sold some of his works at a bargain price.

The whole story is complicated and sad, full of emotional pain and mental illnesses, yet certain elements in the press try to turn it into some kind of zany comedy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back