NY - Police searching for man who tried to rape sunbathing woman - June 24, 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score

The suspect — who Chell described as a 6-foot-tall black man in his 30s, with curly hair and a medium build — fled and was still on the loose Monday evening.

https://nypost.com/2024/06/24/us-ne...light-before-her-screams-send-creep-running/#

is there not CCTV in Central Park?
I would not think that Central Park lacks CCTV cameras.

But.... there is a lack of cars in NYC amongst many New Yorkers. One thirty something year old tech employee mentioned to me that he had not driven a car in 10 years since moving to Brooklyn.

Tech workers and the trendy Dumbo area of Brooklyn aside, I am thinking that a good number of rapid apprehensions involve suspects in cars where a CCTV camera gets an image of the license plates. This then usually leads to rapid identification of the owner, or the borrower.

But.... in NYC, CCTV cameras are likely just going to pick up is a fleeing person. There are no visible numbers that can lead to rapid identification. If the suspect fled "off trail" and removed his hat, the police might be stuck trying to pick him up on a remote CCTV camera(s)- amongst hundreds, then thousands of other people.

Last edited:
I would not think that Central Park lacks CCTV cameras.

But.... there is a lack of cars in NYC amongst many New Yorkers. One thirty something year old tech employee mentioned to me that he had not driven a car in 10 years since moving to Brooklyn.

Tech workers and the trendy Dumbo area of Brooklyn aside, I am thinking that a good number of rapid apprehensions involve suspects in cars where a CCTV camera gets an image of the license plates. This then usually leads to rapid identification of the owner, or the borrower.

But.... in NYC, CCTV cameras are likely just going to pick up is a fleeing person. There are no visible numbers that can lead to rapid identification. If the suspect fled "off trail" and removed his hat, the police might be stuck trying to pick him up on a remote CCTV camera(s)- amongst hundreds, then thousands of other people.
I just thought it would give them an idea of which direction he went and then could track on business cameras after that.

I just thought it would give them an idea of which direction he went and then could track on business cameras after that.
I think you are right and I believe that NYPD has used that technique before.

My guess is that delay could be due to trying to track the suspect from camera to camera in very crowded, Manhattan at mid day, streets.

As a side note, the attack also occurred at the north end of Central Park. This is closer to areas where the number of business cameras may gradually thin out.

Last edited:

My guess is that delay could be due to trying to track the suspect from camera to camera in very crowded, Manhattan at mid day, streets.

As a side note, the attack also occurred at the north end of Central Park. This is closer to areas where the number of business cameras may gradually thin out.

English police have definitely used that technique before as I've seen it in cases I've followed. However, they are also known for having a cr*pload of CCTV.

I live in Manhattan. I don't think there are cameras IN the park. The nearby apartment buildings probably have cameras but they are across the street. There are a few businesses/bodegas along the northern border of the park, but again, they are across the street.

If he stayed on the sidewalk along the park for a stretch, I'm not sure he would be caught on camera as he left the park.

Eventually, though, he obviously had to venture away from the park and NYPD will look for cameras in the surrounding blocks as well as in the subway stations.

The perp who recently attacked a girl in a Queens park was captured as soon as NYPD found him on video and released the image. Once the public saw the photo, BAM, he was caught by people the neighborhood.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
soraxtm
Back