GUILTY NY - Queens, WhtMale 50-90, UP57120, buried since 1970s, found Mar'19 - George Seitz *Arrest in 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
he was last seen going for a haircut!!!! which the little girl said her moms bf worked at a barber shop and she saw blood being cleaned there. waaooooo wonder why.
I read in one of the news articles that Motta owned the barber shop and that the motive was money. The article stated that Mr Seitz was reclusive, but when he did go out he was known to carry quite a bit of money. Apparently Matto knew and took his life to steal his money.

It's so sad.

he was last seen going for a haircut!!!! which the little girl said her moms bf worked at a barber shop and she saw blood being cleaned there. waaooooo wonder why.

I feel sorry for this eye witness! What a horrible thing to watch as a young girl. I wonder if the ladie's mother will be implicated in any of this.

RIP Mr Seitz.

From the link:
The son of the suspected cold case killer, speaking Thursday with the Daily News from the Jamaica, Queens, home father and son moved to in recent years, insisted investigators arrested the wrong man.

Catch up on the day’s top five stories every weekday afternoon.

“He’s innocent, that I know of,” said Daniel Motta, who witnessed his dad’s arrest. “He’s never said anything.”

Daniel Motta bizarrely suggested the father was set up by a relative.
1c4fc72a-cf67-443c-8467-e6a5b3fefac1

From the link:
The son of the suspected cold case killer, speaking Thursday with the Daily News from the Jamaica, Queens, home father and son moved to in recent years, insisted investigators arrested the wrong man.

Catch up on the day’s top five stories every weekday afternoon.

“He’s innocent, that I know of,” said Daniel Motta, who witnessed his dad’s arrest. “He’s never said anything.”

Daniel Motta bizarrely suggested the father was set up by a relative.
1c4fc72a-cf67-443c-8467-e6a5b3fefac1
Ha! Well of course he never said anything! He will get schooled in DNA when his father goes on trial.

Just goes to show that it is worth identifying these older homicide victim remains. Sometimes the perpetrator is still alive and justice can be sought, even in cases from the 70s!

I feel a little sorry for the killer's son. He was so convinced his father was innocent. I suppose he knew a very different side to his father than the man who killed George.

RIP George. Justice at last. I bet it helps the woman who witnessed it to find some closure, too.

''Some who knew Motta said he began exhibiting strange behavior after learning the police were re-opening the investigation into Seitz’s death. He reportedly slept inside a barber shop where he continued to work.''

1666184476022.png

This outcome reminds us that when you work NamUs cases you might be solving multiple cases at once:
1. The case of an unidentified person.
2. The case of a missing person.
3. The case of an unsolved violent crime.

We have also updated our page to reflect the plea: Murdered World War I Veteran from Queens is now Identified

Can anyone explain to me why he’s only being charged with manslaughter? He specifically targeted his victim and stabbed him in the head and dismembered him. How is that not murder 1?
I assume a plea deal. Evidence may have been limited, and with the age of the defendant, he's likely to be behind bars the rest of his life in any case.

I remember hearing about this case a while back, and just read a new article about this. Glad they finally caught the perp. for this heinous crime & that he's been convicted. Scum-bag. I'm sickened by any kind of murder, but crimes against children/the elderly/the disabled are especially heinous.

This criminal deserves the death penalty. However, given his advanced age - I doubt he will ever get out of prison due to the 20-year sentence.

Cross-posting from Othram - General Discussion - #2

Just read this opinion piece by NYC Queens County District Attorney Melinda Katz where she mentions @othram & the George Seitz case.

Didn't realize it represented the first successful prosecution using forensic genetic genealogy in NYC!

Opinion: Queens district attorney’s Cold Case Unit solves backlog of cases, brings closure for families — Queens Daily Eagle

"I am pleased to report that the Cold Case Unit has already achieved notable results.

Last year, advancements in modern technology and forensics allowed us and the NYPD to solve and successfully prosecute a 45-year-old homicide case using forensic genetic genealogy. Martin Motta was arrested for the 1976 murder of an 81-year-old World War I veteran, George Clarence Seitz. Motta killed, dismembered and then buried Seitz’s remains under a concrete slab in a Queens backyard. His remains were unearthed in 2019 based on a tip from a witness.

A DNA profile that was developed could not identify the deceased man in any local, state or national databases. My office then sought the assistance of the FBI and Othram, a private forensic laboratory in Texas, to generate leads as to the unknown victim’s identity. Othram produced a comprehensive genealogical profile from the skeletal remains using advanced DNA testing. That profile was given to the FBI, which then developed leads that were turned over to my office and the NYPD.

Those leads enabled us to identify the victim and his identity, in turn, allowed us to find additional witnesses. This was the first successful prosecution of a case using forensic genetic genealogy in New York City. The case we built was so solid that Motta ultimately pled guilty in exchange for a 20-year prison sentence."

GUILTY - NY - Queens, WhtMale 50-90, UP57120, buried since 1970s, found Mar'19 - George Seitz *Arrest in 2021

Backyard John Doe’s Namus is down!!!
Edit: BJD is George. I thought George was his killer based on the title. Whoopsies

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tammyb1025
Back