NY NY - Samantha Kibalo, 2, Suffern, 3 Feb 2001

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Her case is also on NCMEC

Do you think there is any significance in her being temporarily removed from Namus & NCMEC? Have you seen that happen before? She is still gone from the FBI website.

I just found out about this website through a Netflix docuseries and had to look up Sam’s case. Samantha is the daughter of my father’s best friend, Mike. I’ve been trying to dig online and look for her under multiple alias for years now with no luck. I know there has been zero luck with her case as well. I’m happy to have found this forum. We’ve heard about Sam and her mother possibly being protected by a Jewish church and have bounced around through multiple states. They couldn’t be found and this was many years ago, so now it’s really hard to say. I just pray she’s safe and doing okay. Anyone have any ideas about this case?

Samantha Kibalo has been missing since February 3, 2001. Her case: Samantha Kibalo - Child Find of America IMG_6362.jpeg
Samantha is the daughter of my father’s best friend, Michael Kibalo. I have been trying to search online all over for her for multiple years with no luck. I know there has been no luck or leads with her case as well to our knowledge. I’m grateful to have found this forum. I pray she is safe and doing okay. It sounded like Ann had munchausen-by-proxy and I feel weary. Any ideas or thoughts on this case are appreciated!

Last edited:
Samantha Kibalo has been missing since February 3, 2001. Her case: Samantha Kibalo - Child Find of America View attachment 531765
Samantha is the daughter of my father’s best friend, Michael Kibalo. I have been trying to search online all over for her for multiple years with no luck. I know there has been no luck or leads with her case as well to our knowledge. I’m grateful to have found this forum. I pray she is safe and doing okay. It sounded like Ann had munchausen-by-proxy and I feel weary. Any ideas or thoughts on this case are appreciated!
Hello, there is already a thread discussing the case:

Samantha Michelle Kibalo​

Details of Disappearance​

Samantha was last seen in Suffern, New York on February 3, 2001. She was abducted by her non-custodial mother, Ann Yermak Kibalo, during a court-ordered overnight visitation.

Ann filed for divorce from Samantha's father, Michael Kibalo, three weeks after Samantha's birth. Michael stated every time he saw Samantha, afterward Ann would accuse him of abusing the child. Authorities investigated her allegations and determined they were all without foundation.

A psychiatrist testified he thought Ann suffered from Munchausen's Syndrome by Proxy, a rare disorder which could cause Ann to abuse Samantha and/or subject her to unnecessary medical treatment for nonexistent illnesses. (Ann took Samantha to seven different doctors 33 times in the eleven months after her birth, and none of the doctors could find anything wrong with her.) The psychiatrist thought Michael should have custody and Ann's visitations with Samantha should be supervised.

An FBI warrant for kidnapping was issued for Ann on January 15, 2002. She also has warrants for her arrest on charges of unlawful flight to avoid prosecution, custodial interference, and unauthorized use of a motor vehicle. Her last known address was in New Hyde Park, New York.

Photos and an age-progressed image of Ann are posted with this case summary. Her date of birth is March 25, 1963, making her 37 years old at the time of Samantha's abduction. She's described as Caucasian, 5'0 and 120 pounds, with brown hair and blue eyes.

Ann wears eyeglasses while driving and may wear contact lenses tinted brown. She may use the last names Yermak, Saul, and/or Kaplan. Ann may have cut her hair short and dyed it blonde. She has an accounting degree from Brooklyn College and has previously worked in that field. She has a dental condition and may seek medical treatment for it.

Ann and Samantha were originally traveling in a black four-door 1996 Suzuki Sidekick Sport with a gold-colored bumper and New York license plates. It was recovered in a parking garage in the New York City borough of Brooklyn two months after the Kibalos disappeared.

Ann and Samantha may frequent doctor's offices and other medical facilities and may be with an adult female relative. They may be accompanied by a 12-pound red miniature Tibetan Spaniel or Tibetan Terrier dog named Vodka. A photo of Vodka is posted with this case summary.

Ann and Samantha may be in the New York City area, or in Palm Beach County or Boynton Beach, Florida; Illinois; or New Hampshire. In 2006, there were sightings of the pair were reported in Santa Fe, New Mexico. The reports have not been confirmed, but they are believed to be credible. The New Mexico witnesses described the child as quiet and withdrawn and stated her mother did not interact with her much.

Michael stated he believes Samantha and Ann are moving frequently to different places around the country and using two or three different aliases. He believes Ann's mother may be assisting them, as she has refinanced her house several times. Michael's theories have not been verified.

Samantha is believed to be at risk; her mother may have been abusing her prior to her disappearance. Michael now lives in New Jersey and is actively searching for his daughter. He believes Ann may be homeschooling Samantha, as he cannot find evidence that she is enrolled in school anywhere. Samantha's case remains unsolved.

I just found out about this website through a Netflix docuseries and had to look up Sam’s case. Samantha is the daughter of my father’s best friend, Mike. I’ve been trying to dig online and look for her under multiple alias for years now with no luck. I know there has been zero luck with her case as well. I’m happy to have found this forum. We’ve heard about Sam and her mother possibly being protected by a Jewish church and have bounced around through multiple states. They couldn’t be found and this was many years ago, so now it’s really hard to say. I just pray she’s safe and doing okay. Anyone have any ideas about this case?
In my opinion, after so many years she now may be even hiding in plain sight, ie NY.

<modsnip>

Samantha is now an adult woman of 25 yrs, I hope she is ok

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion, after so many years she now may be even hiding in plain sight, ie NY.

<modsnip>

Samantha is now an adult woman of 25 yrs, I hope she is ok
I've had the same hope, that after all these years she is out on her own independently. I wonder if she would be using a different name entirely by this point. I've even tried reverse image searching the most recent age progressed photo seeing if there was any possible similarities somewhere online. I should try generating an updated version somehow. I wish I knew what avenues to take to explore this further.

Would be useful to also have an age progression of her mother out there, ie of the abductor. Above , when saying hiding in plain skght, I was referring to the latter.

IMO a coverage by Nancy Grace would help spreading the info across states

Last year, they were removed from all the missing persons sites. I had hoped that there was a break in the case but I guess not since they were added back as missing. Does anyone have any ideas on why they would have been removed and then added back? Have you seen this with other cases?

No clue, very strange indeed…maybe the url changed? I discovered this case only today and there is little or no coverage which is a pity. How do you want people to recognise an abductor and a little girl if media coverage is poor

I was reading about the Munchausen syndrome by proxy which is now called Factitious disorder imposed on another.

is when someone falsely claims that another person has physical or psychological signs or symptoms of illness, or causes injury or disease in another person with the intention of deceiving others.

People with this disorder present another person as sick, injured or having problems functioning, claiming that medical attention is needed. Usually this involves a parent harming a child. This form of abuse can put a child in serious danger of injury or unnecessary medical care.

Some people use fake names to avoid detection, some visit many different hospitals and doctors

Very interesting to read to frame the situation, which is worrying.

I believe the last age progressed photo of Ann was at the age of 40, Ann would be 61 now. I am going to see if there is any way to generate an updated age progressed image.

Any suggestions on how to bring awareness to this case is appreciated. Thank you for mentioning Nancy Grace!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maineguy1961
Back