NY - Samuel Bankman-Fried (FTX), Alleged Fraud, Money Laundering, 2019-2022 *Arrest*

The bankrupt cryptocurrency exchange FTX has said it will be able to repay creditors the full $11bn […] it owes [plus interest], as the boom-bust cycle repeats itself with a sharp increase in bitcoin prices.

Above is an exclusive interview with SBF from prison for Puck subscribers only.

Top FTX Executive Sentenced to Seven and a Half Years in Prison

Ryan Salame, the head of FTX’s subsidiary in the Bahamas, was the first of Sam Bankman-Fried’s deputies to be sentenced since the crypto exchange collapsed in November 2022.

The Giving Pledge.
"FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried was removed from the list in December 2022 following his arrest.[10]" * (Subscription article)
I wonder what specifically axed him from the list.

For those not familiar w the Giving Pledge, it is: "... a charitable campaign, founded by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, to encourage wealthy people to contribute a majority (i.e. more than 50%) of their wealth to philanthropic causes. As of June 2022, the pledge has had 236 signatories from 28 countries.[1] Most of the signatories of the pledge are billionaires..." Home - The Giving Pledge

Looks like some of us will not be on the GP list. LOL. That's okay , as also noted:

"Everyone is encouraged to engage in charitable and philanthropic giving, as their resources allow. There are many ways to play a role in making our communities better, including volunteering our time to organizations and causes we care about."

“[10] Alexander, Sophie (2022-12-14). "Sam Bankman-Fried Cut From Giving Pledge Website After Arrest". Bloomberg L.P. Archived from the original on 2022-12-14. Retrieved 2023-08-05. Article for SUBSCRIBERS.

The Giving Pledge.
"FTX founder Sam Bankman-Fried was removed from the list in December 2022 following his arrest.[10]" * (Subscription article)
I wonder what specifically axed him from the list.

For those not familiar w the Giving Pledge, it is: "... a charitable campaign, founded by Bill Gates and Warren Buffett, to encourage wealthy people to contribute a majority (i.e. more than 50%) of their wealth to philanthropic causes. As of June 2022, the pledge has had 236 signatories from 28 countries.[1] Most of the signatories of the pledge are billionaires..." Home - The Giving Pledge

Looks like some of us will not be on the GP list. LOL. That's okay , as also noted:

"Everyone is encouraged to engage in charitable and philanthropic giving, as their resources allow. There are many ways to play a role in making our communities better, including volunteering our time to organizations and causes we care about."

“[10] Alexander, Sophie (2022-12-14). "Sam Bankman-Fried Cut From Giving Pledge Website After Arrest". Bloomberg L.P. Archived from the original on 2022-12-14. Retrieved 2023-08-05. Article for SUBSCRIBERS.
My guess is because you have to be a billionaire to be a member.

Sam Bankman-Fried Says He Has 'Close to Nothing' Left After $26 Billion Wipeout​

• Fallen mogul claims he has one credit card, $100,000 in bank
  • Bankman-Fried was estimated to be worth $26 billion at peak

And... even if he still had $26B (or even $1B for that matter)... Per your link to the Giving Pledge site:

The Giving Pledge is a movement of philanthropists who commit to give the majority of their wealth to charitable causes, either during their lifetimes or in their wills.

Gemmie again... key word... THEIR wealth. It was other people's stolen money. lol

Timing, SB-F.
My guess is because you have to be a billionaire to be a member.

Sam Bankman-Fried Says He Has 'Close to Nothing' Left After $26 Billion Wipeout​

• Bankman-Fried was estimated to be worth $26 billion at peak

And... even if he still had $26B (or even $1B for that matter)... Per your link to the Giving Pledge site:

The Giving Pledge is a movement of philanthropists who commit to give the majority of their wealth to charitable causes, either during their lifetimes or in their wills.

Gemmie again... key word... THEIR wealth. It was other people's stolen money. lol

@Gemmie Thx for your response w the Dec. 14, 2022 headers* from bloomberg.com. I'm not a subscriber, did not see it, did not search further.
My impression was that he had enough $ to engage & pay for private counsel for his trial. And IIRC, for sentencing & appeal(s), not that that would require billions. LOL.

Regardless, now seems imo SB-F is right where he belongs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
OT. At a securities industry conference decades ago I met Bernie Madoff, only briefly after a panel he was on. But long enough to hear him make condescending remarks about securities regulators. Well, in retrospect, unearthing his fraud did take a looong time.

"Investigation of Failure of the SEC to Uncover Bernard Madoff's Ponzi Scheme." 2009

SB-F. Forfeiture. Restitution?
Doesn't he have to pay restitution? What's he still doing with 100K? They should confiscate it and distribute it to his victims.
@ch_13
From a 3/29/24 story (w sbm):*
FORFEITURE
"A federal judge on Thursday ordered Sam Bankman-Fried to repay more than $11 billion as part of his sentence for defrauding customers and investors in his failed crypto exchange FTX...."
<modsnip - snipped for copyright>

Last edited by a moderator:
SB-F. Forfeiture. Restitution?

@ch_13 asked: "Doesn't he have to pay restitution?"

Briefly, per story below,* judge did not order it, but DoJ may pay restitution to victims in the future.

Welcoming links to the ct order, to prosecutor's sentencing memo, or MSM w more details. TiA.
Anyone?

To comply w WS ToS & avoid possible copyright violation, my paraphrasing from 3/29/24 story, NOT quoting it. My apologies to the MODs.
=======================================
FORFEITURE
Judge ordered repayment of $11-plus billion as part of SB-F's sentence.
Forfeiture $ amt is usu. based on amt of $ a defendant gains by the crimes committed.
Prosecutors asked for $11 billion in forfeiture,
- $8 bil., wire fraud & money laundering.
- $1.72 bil., SB-F's firm raised from investors on false pretenses.
- $1.3 bil., FTX owed to lenders.

Per a former fed prosecutor, $ forfeited is deposited directly into the US Treasury and the $ SB-F owes cannot be discharged in bankruptcy.

RESTITUTION?
IF ordered, restitution $ is paid directly to victims.

This judge's ruling did not order restitution because of the large number of victims and other complexities.
His order allows Department of Justice’s Money Laundering and Asset Recovery Section to pay victims of SB-F's crimes.
It may take a looong time - years - to compensate them.

SB-F's financials are not known.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DerryGirl