NY NY - Sara Lepkofker, 56, New York City, 8 May 1997

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow, I didn't know that about Vermont. I suspect it's true about other states, as well, because occasionally I've found myself looking for someone and thought, Huh! There's hardly any IUD's in this state, must be they're good at identifying them... :banghead:

This could be a good area for WBers to be activists -- just getting UID databases set up in states that don't have them, or maybe in trying to get laws changed.

the doe network has sara listed in the site updates today as located deceased. they posted it incorrectly with someone elses info, but if you look at the next entry, you'll see that they just swapped the info for the two cases, i'm sure someone will let them know shortly and they will correct it.
So, are you saying that possible the information is not correct and that someone else who IS deceased has their info in Sara's case? Sorry, I could not check link from this pc. I don't rely on Doe anyway. Not at all surprised by the misinformation.

the doe network has sara listed in the site updates today as located deceased. they posted it incorrectly with someone elses info, but if you look at the next entry, you'll see that they just swapped the info for the two cases, i'm sure someone will let them know shortly and they will correct it.

Yes, you're correct about misinformation cases between Sara Lepkofker & Scott Glen Lewis. Sara is from NY while Scott comes from TX and someone (moderator) need to swapping correct info between them.

sorry about not posting the links correctly, i was at work and kind of in a rush when i made the post. as far as the validity of the id, it was done in a lab so i would be 99% sure it was through DNA or dental records. i doubt the office of the monmouth county prosecutor would post it on their site as being her if they were only 50% sure, and again, it was done in the national center for missing and exploited childrens lab, so i doubt its an "investigation error". and if you check in the doe networks identified section, there is a listing for her, it just doesnt say what her name is for some reason, it only says the body was identified, just look for the listing that says red bank, nj, it's on the first page almost halfway down.

Identified
The victim was located on June 18, 1997 in Red Bank, Monmouth County, New Jersey. She was identified in 2009.

http://www.doenetwork.org/

Thank you for posting the information. This is truly a bizarre case. This is (was) an ordinary woman with sporadic mild bouts of depression (not sure if professionally diagnosed). She was just plain ordinary!
How does an ordinary middle age woman with no gang, drug or outlaw ties disapear in broad daylight, get decapitated and her digits removed so as not to be identified? Her legs were also removed. This mo for this woman goes against criminal profiling stats. Amazing!
SO, they couldn't have used the UID's dentals or fingerprints or Sara's. I have not searched if DNA was the identifying factor but I will. I am stunned that the video from Colorado in 2005 (viewed it) was not Sara. It is certainly a crazy world.

i believe it stated that on the monmouth county prosecutors website. doe network now has her info listed correctly in the Located section.

I am bumping this old thread because this body was found on my street about one month after we bought our house and moved in. Nice welcome to the neighborhood that was! (We don't live there anymore)

One thing to know about the location--it is right off the highway. If you were to get off the parkway there, make a couple of turns, and drive until the street came to an end, then turn left on Locust Ave. and drive toward the river (looking for a dump site? on the bank) you would find this location. At the time it was an abandoned apartment complex that has since been rebuilt, and people have lived there for years.

Clearly Sara had nothing to do with Red Bank, but would the killer have known this very specific, hidden spot?

As a refresher, here is the information posted on the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Unsolved Crimes page

6/18/97: Sara Lepkofker

On June 18, 1997, four young children discovered a partially decomposed body at an abandoned Sewage Pump house located at 105 Locust Avenue in Red Bank. After a post-mortem examination, it was determined that the death was a Homicide and that the victim had been decapitated, right and left legs had been amputated as had the tips of the fingers on both hands. As a result of the condition of the body, no identification could be made.
In January 2008, a detective from the New York Police Department's Missing Persons Unit advised that the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children's laboratory had identified the victim as Sara Lepkofker, with last known address of 2780 West 5th Street, Unit 16-F, Brooklyn, New York. According to the New York Police Department, Sara Lepkofker was last seen alive on May 8, 1997, leaving her place of employment. She was scheduled to go on a two week vacation with her live in boyfriend, John Luttrell.
Anyone with information concerning this matter is asked to call the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office Major Crimes Bureau at 732/ 431-7160 or 1 800/ 533-7443 (toll free) or the Atlantic Highlands Police Department at 732/ 291-1212.

http://prosecutor.co.monmouth.nj.us/unsolved/1990-unsolved.html

I am bumping this old thread because this body was found on my street about one month after we bought our house and moved in. Nice welcome to the neighborhood that was! (We don't live there anymore)

One thing to know about the location--it is right off the highway. If you were to get off the parkway there, make a couple of turns, and drive until the street came to an end, then turn left on Locust Ave. and drive toward the river (looking for a dump site? on the bank) you would find this location. At the time it was an abandoned apartment complex that has since been rebuilt, and people have lived there for years.

Clearly Sara had nothing to do with Red Bank, but would the killer have known this very specific, hidden spot?

These mutilation cases make my brain squirm.
From Brooklyn to jersey.
Wondering if she was killed in Brooklyn than taken to Jersey.
Or taken to Jersey than killed.

To me she does not seem to be a victim of a serial killer....
Unless other older women around the time also became missing and found dismembered.

I have a hunch the live-in boyfriend is dead? Anyone know?

Your question if the killer knew the area in advance would seem possible. Better to have a plan site selected in advance than just drive around after killing someone and dismember them without having a place to put it.
Seems to me he did know about the place, and decided that would be it.

I am thinking he took her to jersey and killed her there. Seems risky to kill her in Brooklyn and transport her to jersey. But maybe he had her concealed really well from the dismemberment so transporting would not be so risky. Especially if her just moved pieces at a time, and not all at once. Which seems what he did, since they have not found all the parts from what I have read.

She does not seem random victim to me. Usually from what I have read older women are murdered in there homes and not taken from the streets especially in broad daylight. Very few serial killers I have read about choose older women from the street to murder and usually murdered them in the homes they lived in. This seems personal. Someone she knew. Someone whom befriended her and for what ever reason killed her and did not want her to be found, and or ID if parts were discovered.

Insurance money would only paid at the time if she was found dead and not just missing. So killing her for insurance money does not fit.

What could this woman had done, if anything to have someone kill her like they did?

In 97 computers were in use with windows 95, I wonder if she met someone on line at the time from chat rooms, and that became a problem with her live in BF?

My question could she have met her killer online??
If there was no computer in the home, than the above is not relevant.
If the BF at the time was cleared of any involvement.

Maybe a LEO will show up here and answer some questions with facts to save time in speculating about things.

If she was not murdered in her home. Than perhaps in Jersey. Did she have any connection to Jersey?

Brazell's severed arm and legs were found just three stops down the subway line from where a subway cleaner discovered two plastic bags in 1992 containing the remains of 27-year-old Becky Detres of Brooklyn.

Lepkofker was last seen in the area of 5th Street in the New York City borough of Brooklyn on May 8, 1997. She has never been heard from again. The circumstances surrounding Lepkofker's case are unclear.

"In February 2005, after disappearing from his home in Bushwick, Brooklyn, 19-year-old Rashawn Brazell's dismembered body parts were found in garbage bags strewn throughout the borough.

Just posting because of the Brooklyn connection and all three dismembered.

what is her bf up to now???? did her friends and coworkers have anything to share as to her state of mind about vacation, her bf, etc?

Wild stab in the dark here... What was her profession? Could she possibly have stumbled across information someone didn't want her to have? For some reason I am wondering if she was a bookkeeper and maybe saw something someone wanted to hide, who then murdered her and tried to obliterate her identity in this horrific manner.

I wonder too where she worked. Was it ever established what the woman who went to the radio station in Colorado actually wanted ? why did she go there ? tia to anyone who might know.

If its true that she had a fight with her boyfriend, and left her apt in a huff.....that is the one time a woman may accept a ride from a strange man. Maybe she got into a so-called "gypsy cab", which is really just men riding around picking people up. Was there any mention of cell phone records? What was the last call she made? Although cell phones were common, they werent anywhere near as ubiquitous are they are today, so we may not have that angle.

"Last seen in the area of..."? By whom?

I feel the killer is a local, for sure.

Colorado seems to have alot of "false alarms". I feel like theres been several stories over the years of people being spotted there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I really would love to know if there was any connection.. Did Sarah ever meet him or his wife? The MO sounds so similar to what they have done. They were busted for dismembering and dumping some guy in Brooklyn. And suspect in the disappearance of 2 other Brooklyn people….. I think cases like these have sadly fallen through the cracks .

Lepkofker, with last known address of 2780 West 5th Street, Unit 16-F,
> Brooklyn, New York.

coincidence? Probably not
I don’t think so….!!!!

If you look on google and notice the difference from where Sara and Irina have gone missing and also the men… they all have gone missing pretty close from each other. And Sara ended up dismembered in NJ just like Victor.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SusyQ
Back