NY NY - Sara Wood, 12, Frankfort, 18 Aug 1993

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember seeing Sara's case profiled on America's Most Wanted, back when I was a kid. They showed the snow covered mountain area where she supposedly is buried, and I remember feeling so awful for her family that they couldn't find her.

She and I looked a bit alike, though she was three years older.

I do hope they find her one day.

Why would Lent not want to disclose her burial site, saying there was another body there that he didn't want foudn? What possible difference could it make to him??

Mr E. Lent is a sick individual--he wanted to torment her family. It is a power thing-he has the one thing they want, and was not going to reveal it. The whole time before trial he said he would reveal, and then changed his mind. I remember watching the trial at lunchtime when I lived in upstate NY.

Ahhh, Lent. My family found out on the news when he was caught that my cousin's case was being re-evaluated to see if there were possible ties to him. It was quite a shock.

Sara has been gone 17 years today. Come home soon.

Kids turn out to support missing kids

By the whooping of the hundreds of A.W. Becker kids lined up outside the school’s entrance Friday you would have thought Miley Cyrus was on the way.

But what had the kids cheering was the third annual Greater Capital District Ride for Missing Children bike caravan snaking southward down Rte. 9W and onto the school grounds.

[snip]

Frank Williams, who started the Utica Ride for Missing Kids in 1994 in response to Sara Anne Wood, who went missing on August 18, 1993, said he has seen the group expand to Rochester, Auburn, Buffalo and then to Albany.

http://www.thedailymail.net/articles/2010/09/30/ravena_news/news/doc4ca0a63fb33db934778490.txt

Were Sara still alive, she would have celebrated her 30th birthday this month.

An entire generation has grown up in the years that she has been gone. I'm a part of that group, and it makes me very sad for her and her family.

I didn't know Sara Anne Wood, but her disappearance changed my life dramatically.

I was 10 when she disappeared. Just 2 years younger than her. I remember seeing her picture flash on the news, and my parents made the decision that night that my sister and I were no longer allowed to be outside alone. We were too young to really understand at the time, and I remember fighting them every step of the way about it. (I'd just gotten the freedom to ride my bike where I pleased... and now it was being taken away!) But now, almost 18 years later, I understand that they were just trying to protect us.

We'd been to Frankfort maybe 5 times a year for as long as I could remember, my Aunt and Uncle lived very near to where she disappeared. We weren't allowed to go there anymore either.

My parents sat me down and explained to me that someone had stolen a little girl who was riding her bike alone. And that when little girls are stolen like that horrible horrible things happen to them, and they usually never get to come home. And if, by the grace of god they do return, then it's usual not "home" that they come to. They said that there are men out there who are ready and willing to steal children away and hurt them. And that most of the time, they don't just hurt them, they kill them. And then after they said all of that, they told me that they loved me more than anything they could ever imagine and if something like that happened to me or my sister, it would be the end of their world.

Needless to say, this scared me. I cried all that night. I cried for the little brown haired girl who was probably never going to get to come home. I cried for me and for my sister knowing that at any moment, we could be stolen away by a stranger who wanted to hurt us. I cried for Sarah Anne's parents, because I couldn't imagine what they were dealing with. And finally, I cried for my parents. My father who got tears in his eyes when he talked of someone stealing us, My mother who became physically ill after explaining to me that the world wasn't all ice cream and roller skates and barbies, like I had thought it was.

At 10, I found out that the world was actually a dangerous scary place, not the wonderful playground that I thought it was.

I'm sure there were many little girls who found out the dangers of the world that summer... I surely can't be the only one.

Happy Belated Birthday (March 4th) Sara Anne Wood, even though I was only 10 when Lewis Lent unleashed his evil on you, I still haven't forgotten you. I'll tell my daughters and nieces your story, and I hope that they'll tell theirs too. You will never be forgotten.

I didn't know Sara Anne Wood, but her disappearance changed my life dramatically.

I was 10 when she disappeared. Just 2 years younger than her. I remember seeing her picture flash on the news, and my parents made the decision that night that my sister and I were no longer allowed to be outside alone. We were too young to really understand at the time, and I remember fighting them every step of the way about it. (I'd just gotten the freedom to ride my bike where I pleased... and now it was being taken away!) But now, almost 18 years later, I understand that they were just trying to protect us.

We'd been to Frankfort maybe 5 times a year for as long as I could remember, my Aunt and Uncle lived very near to where she disappeared. We weren't allowed to go there anymore either.

My parents sat me down and explained to me that someone had stolen a little girl who was riding her bike alone. And that when little girls are stolen like that horrible horrible things happen to them, and they usually never get to come home. And if, by the grace of god they do return, then it's usual not "home" that they come to. They said that there are men out there who are ready and willing to steal children away and hurt them. And that most of the time, they don't just hurt them, they kill them. And then after they said all of that, they told me that they loved me more than anything they could ever imagine and if something like that happened to me or my sister, it would be the end of their world.

Needless to say, this scared me. I cried all that night. I cried for the little brown haired girl who was probably never going to get to come home. I cried for me and for my sister knowing that at any moment, we could be stolen away by a stranger who wanted to hurt us. I cried for Sarah Anne's parents, because I couldn't imagine what they were dealing with. And finally, I cried for my parents. My father who got tears in his eyes when he talked of someone stealing us, My mother who became physically ill after explaining to me that the world wasn't all ice cream and roller skates and barbies, like I had thought it was.

At 10, I found out that the world was actually a dangerous scary place, not the wonderful playground that I thought it was.

I'm sure there were many little girls who found out the dangers of the world that summer... I surely can't be the only one.

Happy Belated Birthday (March 4th) Sara Anne Wood, even though I was only 10 when Lewis Lent unleashed his evil on you, I still haven't forgotten you. I'll tell my daughters and nieces your story, and I hope that they'll tell theirs too. You will never be forgotten.

Your post hit home for me even after all these years. You are very right, that summer I learned the same thing about the dangers of the world.

It was June/July and my best friend and I were walking thru town, we were 2 houses away from our destination when a car pulled up to us asking for directions.

We were both 15 @ the time and lived in a small town about 40 minutes from Clifton Park, NY (where Lent lived @ one point). The car had passed us a few times and the final time it passed, the driver pulled on the wrong side of the road to ask directions. I immediately got this awful feeling and was about to run. My best friend stepped closer to the car to give the directions, he acted like he didnt hear her, so she stepped closer to repeat the directions. I knew something was wrong. I grabbed her arm to tell her to run about the time he drove up on the curb and threw open the drivers door. We were literally only one step ahead of him and I'm sure he would of caught her, if not both of us, if an old man across the street didn't yell and run toward the road. He had been sitting on the porch, out of sight, watching the whole thing. I thank God for that man. If he hadn't done anything, who knows what would of happened to us.
Later that night we were at the store with my brother-in-law, as we were leaving I saw this guy driving thru town again. I always wondered if he tried it with someone else. It was a short time later that summer when Sara was kidnapped. I have always regretted not reporting it. I am not sure it was the same person, but I wonder if I had reported it, maybe someone else may have been saved.

Sara, you will never be forgotten!

NamUs profile...
https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/6828/19/

From your second link, Londonrraine:

Nearly 20 years after Sara went missing, New York State Police investigators and Herkimer County prosecutors have rekindled their discussions on tips that might one day bring Sara home.

Herkimer County District Attorney Jeffrey Carpenter and state police officials would not reveal the substance of their talks, but the possibility of any new searches for Sara’s body are not ruled out.

“There have been efforts to locate her body in the past and, at this point in time, I think we will once again make an attempt to locate her body,” Carpenter said.

:please:

Tomorrow is 21 years to the day that Sara went missing. Looking for updates, I found her mentioned in an article published July 15, 2013 by the Associated Press. It includes this 1994 photo which led me to the Jamie Lusher thread here in the 1990's Missing forum.
http://www.syracuse.com/news/index....ann_wood_admits_to_killing_a_third_child.html
Wood disappeared on Aug. 18, 1993, while riding her bicycle near her home. Lent told police when he pleaded guilty that Wood is buried in the Adirondack Mountains with at least one other missing child he murdered. But Lent refused to tell state police where the hand-dug graveyard is located.
More than a dozen searches over the years, including in the Raquette Lake area of the Adirondacks, failed to find Wood's body.
Lent later recanted his confession and claimed he did not kill Wood.
13087872-large.jpg
http://media.syracuse.com/news/photo/2013/07/13087872-large.jpg
State Trooper of Troop D shovels snow at site near Sagamore Road in this 1994 file photo as troopers and dogs unsuccessfully searched for evidence in the murder of Sara Anne Wood, 12.
Jamie Lusher's thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?216291

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mconnectseo
Back