GUILTY NY - Sarah Goode, 21, Medford, 6 June 2014 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to the article DNA tests are pending. If they come back a match to DT's DNA will and can charges be upgraded then?

I was thinkin the same thing at first-why with all the incriminating evidence isn't it already a 1st degree charge?? When I started researching the difference between 1st and 2nd degree, it seems the diff in charges isn't about incriminating evidence, it's more about the murderers state of mind. Basically first degree is planned, thought out, premeditated..... Where as 2nd degree is "yes he murdered her but it was in the heat of the moment and not premeditated". So I guess DA would have to prove he planned on taking her life that night before the struggle. I don't think it's a matter of "who did it", I'm pretty sure the evidence established that.....now we just need to fill in the blanks, why,how,when etc. anybody pleez correct me if I'm wrong describing the legal terms.

For any and all who were wondering, DT was scheduled to appear in court yesterday (7/17/14) but it got canceled and rescheduled to 7/22/14. Just wanted to clear up any confusion because my friend and I planned to attend yesterday but then she found out it was canceled and changed. I did, however, attend the candle light vigil held in memory of SG this past Sat. evening at Smiths Point and it was sad, beautiful, and touching. Her little girl was there and what a gorgeous little peanut she is. My heart broke watching her run against the waves rolling up onto the shore as she threw roses into the ocean. My 9 year old son was with me so i tried hard and managed not to cry at the sight of all this. Her daughter was running a stick through the sand, playing, and I wondered if she could truly begin to grasp the magnitude of the situation around her. I mean, how could she when I even i can't, as a full fledged adult (at least by my age, I'm considered to be :)) One thing was crystal clear though: SG came from a strong and solid family that loves her and will SURELY see this whole thing through to the very end. I'm talking every court appearance, every press conference, etc. And it was more than evident that SG's family- notably her Brother-In-Law, NG, will see to it that Jocelyn (SG's little girl) is cared for, watched over, and LOVED a lot!

For any and all who were wondering, DT was scheduled to appear in court yesterday (7/17/14) but it got canceled and rescheduled to 7/22/14. Just wanted to clear up any confusion because my friend and I planned to attend yesterday but then she found out it was canceled and changed. I did, however, attend the candle light vigil held in memory of SG this past Sat. evening at Smiths Point and it was sad, beautiful, and touching. Her little girl was there and what a gorgeous little peanut she is. My heart broke watching her run against the waves rolling up onto the shore as she threw roses into the ocean. My 9 year old son was with me so i tried hard and managed not to cry at the sight of all this. Her daughter was running a stick through the sand, playing, and I wondered if she could truly begin to grasp the magnitude of the situation around her. I mean, how could she when I even i can't, as a full fledged adult (at least by my age, I'm considered to be :)) One thing was crystal clear though: SG came from a strong and solid family that loves her and will SURELY see this whole thing through to the very end. I'm talking every court appearance, every press conference, etc. And it was more than evident that SG's family- notably her Brother-In-Law, NG, will see to it that Jocelyn (SG's little girl) is cared for, watched over, and LOVED a lot!

Thank you for this information. I think most people on WS have forged a relationship with SG and truly care about her and her beautiful daughter, even though we never met her. I obviously can't speak for anyone other than myself, but this senseless crime has really hit home. I hope and pray for her daughter and everyone who loved her, that they find the strength in the coming months or however long it takes, to make it through the testamony they are going to hear. I also hope it does not come to a "blame the victim" type of defense. Who knows, maybe they will be spared and DT pleads out but I guess we will have to wait and see. I know we (Websluthers) have so many questions and are anxiously awaiting an information, I can only imagine what is going through their minds. Again, thanks for the information. It is appreciated!

When I went on webcrims this morning it seems it has been updated since last night. There was a grand jury appearance 7/18 today ( I'm not sure if was present or not) but that's what it says-and when u check out the charges, there seems to be more added and upgraded.
125.27 appears 2x that is first degree murder
125.7 second degree murder
130.35 rape in first degree

Where it used to say "murder-depraved indifference"
Now says. "Murder-police officer"

I'm assuming this means the charges were upgraded?? Can anyone explain?? Is it possible they decided to have him appear this morning?? Or can the judge,DA, jury, lawyer etc meet without him present and upgrade the charges?? Very confusing-and what about the "murder-police officer" detail under the charge??

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcrim_attorney/DefendantSearch

I am fearing that also inquisitive9----------and I am thinking that charges are hinging on all the DNA found in Sarah's car---DT has told that he doesnt remember anything that night and his attorney is likely building his case on that--or DT is naming names and LE and all are looking for proof.

I am sending so much love and prayers for justice to Sarah's family and friends---be strong

Hi everyone, I am new to WS. I have been following this case since the beginning and like most of you, have so many questions. I can't even describe my feelings because they are all over the place. I feel like I personally knew SG, although I have never met her. My heart breaks for her, SG's daughter and of course her family.

I remember receiving a phone call last Saturday morning, when my sister told me that someone was finally arrested. There was a sense of relief that justice will finally be served, but I wasn't as happy as I should be because I still believe others are involved IMO.

JessicaFletcher62--love the name!!! and welcome to WS..............

I have felt from the beginning that the trial will be dubbed "The Tale of the Tweets"
And IMO (I should reword it to IMVSO-----Im My Very Strong Opinion) another arrest will be made----

When I went on webcrims this morning it seems it has been updated since last night. There was a grand jury appearance 7/18 today ( I'm not sure if was present or not) but that's what it says-and when u check out the charges, there seems to be more added and upgraded.
125.27 appears 2x that is first degree murder
125.7 second degree murder
130.35 rape in first degree

Where it used to say "murder-depraved indifference"
Now says. "Murder-police officer"

I'm assuming this means the charges were upgraded?? Can anyone explain?? Is it possible they decided to have him appear this morning?? Or can the judge,DA, jury, lawyer etc meet without him present and upgrade the charges?? Very confusing-and what about the "murder-police officer" detail under the charge??

https://iapps.courts.state.ny.us/webcrim_attorney/DefendantSearch

It is a bit confusing. I have NO idea about the "police officer" mention. However...his charges have been upgraded to first degree.

New York Penal - Article 125 - § 125.27 Murder in the First Degree

As for the "a" part...read down to the bottom of my link (wont let me copy n paste).

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0125.27_125.27.html

looks good to me!! Not to be gruesome but I think kidnapping may apply here and rape does apply.

Sarah you sweet child-------May Lady Justice be swift and sure.

This murder of Sarah hurts my heart so much. Im not even in the USA and I feel so sad for her and her family. I cannot even fathom how scared her last moments of life were. A everyday normal evening and now she is gone. Just not fair. Im so sick and tired of people just taking out other peoples lives. makes me sick. so very sick.

Thnk MOMOFFOURBOYS, I thought so but wasn't sure. Ones step closer to justice! Also while I was looking up the actual definition for murder in the first, I came across this. Basically to charge with murder in the first you have to prove the murder was premeditated.....but there are a few cases in which premeditation is not needed, such as -the killing of a child w unreasonable force
-Killings commuted in a pattern of domestic abuse
-Murder of a law enforcement officer
-homocides occurring in the commission of other crimes such as arson, robbery, rape
Or other violent crimes

I'm wondering if they used that last exception knowing she was sexually assaulted or do they have proof it was intentional and premeditated?? Hmmm??
I have included the link where I found the info, you'll have to scroll down to almost the bottom to find the excerpt about the "exceptions"

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/first-degree-murder-overview.html

Thnk MOMOFFOURBOYS, I thought so but wasn't sure. Ones step closer to justice! Also while I was looking up the actual definition for murder in the first, I came across this. Basically to charge with murder in the first you have to prove the murder was premeditated.....but there are a few cases in which premeditation is not needed, such as -the killing of a child w unreasonable force
-Killings commuted in a pattern of domestic abuse
-Murder of a law enforcement officer
-homocides occurring in the commission of other crimes such as arson, robbery, rape
Or other violent crimes

I'm wondering if they used that last exception knowing she was sexually assaulted or do they have proof it was intentional and premeditated?? Hmmm??
I have included the link where I found the info, you'll have to scroll down to almost the bottom to find the excerpt about the "exceptions"

http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-charges/first-degree-murder-overview.html

My simple mind says...how in the world could rape, assault and murder be anything OTHER than intentional?

Oopsies...he accidentally (allegedly) tortured and murdered SG? Left a scrap of metal in her skull?
I am so disgusted by the details.

And I am sure there is a really interesting and reasonable explanation for Sarah's hair in the window.

Absolutely it's intentional, but the difference between 1st n 2nd degree murder is if the murder was planned ahead of time, thought out.....both are intentional but 2nd degree is more "heat of the moment". Regardless he's being charged with 1st degree and he has no indifference for human life.

It is a bit confusing. I have NO idea about the "police officer" mention. However...his charges have been upgraded to first degree.

New York Penal - Article 125 - § 125.27 Murder in the First Degree

As for the "a" part...read down to the bottom of my link (wont let me copy n paste).

http://law.onecle.com/new-york/penal/PEN0125.27_125.27.html
I have learned that the reference to "Police Officer" is simply the person who apprehended him. It does make it confusing when you read it but it has nothing to do with the charges. Hope this helps.

Dont know if this was already answered. I wasnt able to read all comments from today yet, sorry. Can anyone explain to me why date added is 7/24/2014? Doesnt even match the next court date of 7/22??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See example vii- I think that explains it. Not positive but my interpretation

http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/nycode/PEN/THREE/H/125/125.27

Sorry. I am too tired to read it...:facepalm:
But aren't criminals usually apprehended by police officers?
I have used webcrims before and have never seen that reference.
Could be the case. I don't know. Thanks for checking into it.

Dont know if this was already answered. I wasnt able to read all comments from today yet, sorry. Can anyone explain to me why date added is 7/24/2014? Doesnt even match the next court date of 7/22??

It doesn't make sense....says added 7/24 which hasn't even passed yet?? I was thinkin maybe they upgraded charges without his appearance?? And 7/24 he will appear and actually hear the new charges???

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back