Identified! NY - Skeletal, basement of home of missing owner in 1961, Long Island, 31 Oct 2018 - George Carroll

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
You know, it was not unusual for men to just walk out on their families in those days. I went to school with several families like this, whose fathers just up and left.
I doubt that any of them were reported missing.
Wow, I never knew that, I guess I didnt know of any, I was just a kid.......I know they did that in the 20's

A very bizarre case. Putting together a timeline from the links above.

1961-George Carol disappears while his house is under construction. His disappearance isn't reported. Someone finished building the house.

"Shortly after" Richard Darress moves in with the mother and children.

1960s thru 1990's- The children learned of a family suspicion that George might have hit his head while the house was under construction and somehow been buried in the basement.

1980s-one of the sons took over the house and still owns it.

1998-The mother tells her children about what happened, just before she dies.

2018-Richard Darress dies.

2018-The children start digging up the basement to find their father's remains.

I guess they didn't want Darress to be investigated for the murder. Possibly their mother had made them promise, or they cared about him.

I wonder whether the house stayed in the family because of who was buried there.
Last line, good point

My father up and left my family in 1976. He had run off with his best friends wife, but we didn't find this out until he died in 1999. We didn't see or hear from him again. No child support, although he did divorce my mother, and ask for his share of the house equity. I'm sure that is how I became so interested in missing people.
Sorry to hear that...

I find this story very sad. For them think he had abandoned his family when all of this time he was murdered and buried inside of his own home.

I see these same kind of cases all the time on ID on a steady basis. The wife/mother always seems to say the same thing when the husband/father goes missing in the blink of an eye.

The majority tell their family including their children that their father walked out on them all and many try to act like they are a martyr because they are having to raise their children alone due the kids having dead beat dad when it was all evil lies.

Some even tell the children their father didn't love them. Ugggh.

I can't think of anything more hurtful to children than believing their parent didn't love them.

And it shows how cold these type of murderers truly are. To lie to ones own children is unforgivable.

They don't really care one bit about their children either. They couldnt and tell such evil lies knowing it would forever leave lasting trauma for their children.

I believe there are multiple hundreds or even thousands of men over the years who have been murdered by their spouse and the spouse lied and said the man walked out on them and people including the police believed it.

If it had been in reverse it would have been investigated way back then if she had gone missing without a trace.

It sounds like she had a lover and imo she was the mastermind and the lover killed him . Alhough she certainly could have participated or did it right by herself like many others have done when they murdered their husband.

The guy most likely dug the grave and buried him.

Jmo

Last edited:
I find this story very sad. For them think he had abandoned his family when all of this time he was murdered and buried inside of his own home.

I see these same kind of cases all the time on ID on a steady basis. The wife/mother always seems to say the same thing when the husband/father goes missing in the blink of an eye.

The majority tell their family including their children that their father walked out on them all and many try to act like they are a martyr because they are having to raise their children alone due the kids having dead beat dad when it was all evil lies.

Some even tell the children their father didn't love them. Ugggh.

I can't think of anything more hurtful to children than believing their parent didn't love them.

And it shows how cold these type of murderers truly are. To lie to ones own children is unforgivable.

They don't really care one bit about their children either. They couldnt and tell such evil lies knowing it would forever leave lasting trauma for their children.

I believe there are multiple hundreds or even thousands of men over the years who have been murdered by their spouse and the spouse lied and said the man walked out on them and people including the police believed it.

If it had been in reverse it would have been investigated way back then if she had gone missing without a trace.

It sounds like she had a lover and imo she was the mastermind and the lover killed him . Alhough she certainly could have participated or did it right by herself like many others have done when they murdered their husband.

The guy most likely dug the grave and buried him.

Jmo

To be fair there are many cases were the mothers are said to have run off with other men as told by the father.The truth turns out to be the father "disappeared the mother".

To be fair there are many cases were the mothers are said to have run off with other men as told by the father.The truth turns out to be the father "disappeared the mother".

That's certainly true but when that happens most of the time the family and police dont believe it and they investigate it finding the husband lied.

Imo

Long Island man who found bones in his basement opens up about grisly find: 'This is almost a perfect crime'

The son said the person who may have had something to do with his missing father is a man who his mother subsequently married, Richard Darress, but added: “I’m trying to avoid pointing a finger at this point.”

Darress died in June in Laredo, Texas. Before he died he had been living in Mexico, across the border from Laredo.

Michael-carroll-2.jpg

Michael Carroll

1998-The mother tells her children about what happened, just before she dies.
Is that just speculation on your part, or do you have a link to an article that states that? All I could find was the son was encouraging his mother to open up before she died, but nothing about whether she actually did.

And, if she did tell them what happened, why did they wait 20 years to start digging in the basement?

For that matter, it seems like they didn't start digging until Darress died earlier this year. Interesting. Not sure what to make of it, but interesting.

Is that just speculation on your part, or do you have a link to an article that states that? All I could find was the son was encouraging his mother to open up before she died, but nothing about whether she actually did.

And, if she did tell them what happened, why did they wait 20 years to start digging in the basement?

For that matter, it seems like they didn't start digging until Darress died earlier this year. Interesting. Not sure what to make of it, but interesting.
I deduced that according to the first link posted in the thread:

"Steven Carroll says his mother told him and his siblings very little about what had happened until just before her death in 1998." Family Digging for Lost Grandpa Finds Bones in Cellar of NY Home

I tend to read between the lines in discerning motives, it's perfectly clear to me they waited until Darress was dead before they went digging. But they're never going to say that directly to a newspaper reporter.

suspected the bf and was afraid they'd have them killed too? Or his children? I dont know really, but that is very odd.........also wondered why this Daress went across the border

Long Island man, 57, who dug up a skeleton in his childhood home on Halloween discovers it's his murdered FATHER who vanished in 1961 after ghost hunters told him his dad was buried in the basement (with clips)

13 December 2018

"Long Island man Mike Carroll, 57, dug up his basement hoping to find the remains of his long lost father on Halloween and found an intact skeleton

The remains were identified as that of his father George Carroll on Wednesday

George Carroll disappeared in 1961 without a trace, leaving his four young kids

Mike's mother Dorothy said he went out for cigarettes and never returned

The autopsy revealed he died of blunt force trauma to the skull

Mike Carroll revealed that a psychic told him his father was buried in the basement of the home and that he died of blunt force trauma

Mike and his siblings are planning a military burial for their Korean War veteran father at Calverton National Cemetery

Cops ruled death a homicide but the murderer may never be caught as people who could be questioned, like Dorothy and her second husband, are dead ..."

Bones discovered in Long Island basement identified as home owner's father | Daily Mail Online
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Long Island man who found bones in his basement opens up about grisly find: ‘This is almost a perfect crime’ – Brinkwire
The Long Island man who dug up bones in the basement of his childhood home searching for his long-missing father now sits in his cluttered living room wondering if he has unraveled a darker mystery.

Michael Carroll, 57, believes the remains are those of his father George Carroll, a U.S. Army Korean War veteran who has been missing for decades. Over the years Carroll consulted psychics and ghost hunters to help with the search. He also hired a company with ground-penetrating radar that advised him on where to dig.

This whole situation seems odd.
The mother not reporting her husband missing.
The rumors of him buried under the house - those had to start somewhere.
Not digging until the mother and then the stepfather has passed.

teh step father moved to Mexico? yep he prob sent his life looking over his shoulder, especially if the wife knew.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV
Back