Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lots of guests this morning.

This may sound really weird but a number of years ago (before our technological world made things so easy to be connected), I saw a TV show on missing cases. At the very end they stated that they had found remains and had reconstructed a face of a young woman. I thought it was a strong resemblance to Sylvia but the show was over before I could grab the info (this was before the era of rewind). If I recall correctly I thought it was police in a Pennsylvania or Jersey community. Might be something worth persuing.

BBM - I received the above post in response to a FB post. I've been adding the link to the missing persons report to my FB page and received this from an old neighbor. My friends from back then remember her going missing. This was a memory she had from years ago. I asked if she remembered the show and she said not yet. She is still searching her memory bank for the answer. I will post if she does remember.

This may sound really weird but a number of years ago (before our technological world made things so easy to be connected), I saw a TV show on missing cases. At the very end they stated that they had found remains and had reconstructed a face of a young woman. I thought it was a strong resemblance to Sylvia but the show was over before I could grab the info (this was before the era of rewind). If I recall correctly I thought it was police in a Pennsylvania or Jersey community. Might be something worth persuing.

Princess Doe, maybe?

http://www.princessdoe.org/pictures.html

Oh, Odyssey, you are quick on the draw! Thank you. The photos made me so sad.

I think she's too young to be Sylvia, but I know Princess Doe got a lot of media attention, so I thought that might be who they're thinking of... she does kind of resemble her.

I think she's too young to be Sylvia, but I know Princess Doe got a lot of media attention, so I thought that might be who they're thinking of... she does kind of resemble her.

It could very well be Princess Doe since there was alot of media attention.

I will send her that link to see if it jogs her memory.

Iceman? Does the victim profile fit? (I haven't read it either.)

She does not, the Iceman was not known to be a killer of women or children (so he said, anyway, and there is no evidence that he did)

Ok for us that don't know about this book tell us where you are going with this.

Not sure where Gajonka is going with it, but Bucks County was said to be one of the dumping grounds for the victims of Richard Kuklinski AKA "the Iceman". He was a serial killer who was said to be a mafia contract killer. He was not known as a killer of women or children, though. Maybe Gajonka's thinking was that if Kuklinski used the unpopulated areas of Bucks County, so did others?

From what MMQC has said about when she spoke to him, I do believe he was being rude (with the Don't call me again, etc)... although one thing to consider, is that maybe some of it could have had something to do with the harsh "New York Italian" way of speaking? It is sometimes perceived as rude by non-New Yorkers and/or non-Italians. I know I had to learn to tone it down after I left NY...

Did EL know enough Italians to be able to tell the difference?

Not being a native of the NY metropolitan area myself, I had to figure this out, too, but MMQC is a native, and would have understood this, no?

BBM - I received the above post in response to a FB post. I've been adding the link to the missing persons report to my FB page and received this from an old neighbor. My friends from back then remember her going missing. This was a memory she had from years ago. I asked if she remembered the show and she said not yet. She is still searching her memory bank for the answer. I will post if she does remember.

MMQC ---A couple of weeks ago, the identity of the first victim of the LI serial killer was matched after 25 years. A forensic reconstruction of her head was made in 1989 after she was found on a golf course in central Jersey. Here is the story with a picture of the forensic reconstruction.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...dentified-severed-head-after-24-year-mystery/

MMQC ---A couple of weeks ago, the identity of the first victim of the LI serial killer was matched after 25 years. A forensic reconstruction of her head was made in 1989 after she was found on a golf course in central Jersey. Here is the story with a picture of the forensic reconstruction.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlin...dentified-severed-head-after-24-year-mystery/

How old was Joel Rifkin in 1975? Maybe he spent some time on Staten Island, or Sylvia made it to the City?

So he told Sylvia's mom not to call again, in a rude, uncivilzed way. Wouldn't you think he would be kinder and more sensitive to a woman whose daughter was missing, much less a woman who would have been his mother-in-law?

Its rather difficult to wrap your head around isn't it.
You would think he would be feeling the same sense of loss as Sylvias family.
Often people who are suffering the same loss cling to each other for support.

But, he chose rude.
Was he rude to the family before that night?
It seems and this is JMO, that he chose to cut ties and wipe the whole thing from his life.
I don't understand how a person could do that when all appearances suggest he planned to spend his life with this woman.

Do you think he was overcome with guilt?
He admitted to leaving her.. alone.. on the street
Whether he did or not, we don't know, but lets suggest we believe that for a moment.
Would the guilt be so great that he could not face family and friends who loved her?

:moo:

After reading and re-reading the police report, the statement at the bottom of the report puzzles me: "Det. Lennon advises will not handle." Does that mean that a particular precinct or division was not going to handle the case? I surely hope they didn't mean that no one was really going to follow through. And, the story about her leaving her glasses behind has always struck me as unlikely.

Ok-Joel Rifkin would have been 16 years old at the time of Sylvia's disappearance, and his victims were mostly or all drug addicted prostitutes, so I think we can eliminate him, based on the facts. If we are looking at serial killers as a possibility, he is way down on my list. Could be, but not likely.

When E. L. asked the BF\f the hostile reply was the L E was on the case and was so rude she stopped calling.

I wonder if EL ever spoke to boyfriends parents
This couple was engaged!
BF/F parents must have left a loss as well (or you would think)
Did they ever speak to Sylvias parents and express concern or a caring attitude?

Its rather difficult to wrap your head around isn't it.
You would think he would be feeling the same sense of loss as Sylvias family.
Often people who are suffering the same loss cling to each other for support.

But, he chose rude.
Was he rude to the family before that night?
It seems and this is JMO, that he chose to cut ties and wipe the whole thing from his life.
I don't understand how a person could do that when all appearances suggest he planned to spend his life with this woman.

Do you think he was overcome with guilt?
He admitted to leaving her.. alone.. on the street
Whether he did or not, we don't know, but lets suggest we believe that for a moment.
Would the guilt be so great that he could not face family and friends who loved her?

:moo:

Yes-that is a distinct possibility. And may not have known how to deal with it. Suppose she didn't get out of the car, but he told her to get out? He wouldn't tell anyone that-still, what about those glasses...?

After reading and re-reading the police report, the statement at the bottom of the report puzzles me: "Det. Lennon advises will not handle." Does that mean that a particular precinct or division was not going to handle the case? I surely hope they didn't mean that no one was really going to follow through. And, the story about her leaving her glasses behind has always struck me as unlikely.

Yeah-we haven't been able to figure out what this meant, exactly. It appears that the parents wanted no publicity because they were afraid that it could be a problem for her in the future, in case she went away voluntarily, and then came back. It sort of looks like everyone assumed that she took off on her own, and she would come back in her own time, and the never looked for her, or asked anyone any questions in 1975. As you probably read, the cold case detective questioned MMQC in 2010, but we don't know if he also questioned BF/F in 2010, or if, in fact, he was ever questioned.

Not being a native of the NY metropolitan area myself, I had to figure this out, too, but MMQC is a native, and would have understood this, no?

Yes, and I think "Don't call me again" is rude regardless of what tone of voice is used, but I was just thinking there may have been a combination of both...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ljenkins18