GUILTY NY - Tessa Majors, 18, Barnard College student, fatally stabbed, Manhattan, 11 Dec 2019 *13yo arrest

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Rehibilitation is extensive therepy and training to help a child is likely mental issues and a traumatic upbringing to become productive members of society in time. This is a child and we don't understand the circumstances of his life that might have attributed to him doing this.

But....
Jordan Brown did a much much more heinous act and got released, got to go to college, hasn't been arrested since.
Joseph Hall murdered someone and will get rehabilitated.
Andrew Golden was rehabilitated and was never charged of a crime after his release.
Derek King was rehabilitated and never charged of a crime after release.
Cody Posey has ben rehabilitated.

What do these children have in common that this 13 year old doesn't that is causing for people to call for him to be chained up for the rest of his life?

Again, not diminishing the teagic loss of a woman, but when it comes to children (vs adults), IMO we have to be more open to rehabilitation.
BBM

We know absolutely nothing about this 13 year old except that he is 13 and has implicated himself in the murder of an 18 year old girl. So how could anyone answer your question?

I’d have to research each of the juvenile offenders you listed, but my guess is that I would probably wish they had received harsher punishments than they got. But I haven’t researched them so I can’t say that for sure.

Personally I think I’ll wait and make sure they’ve got the right people arrested for this crime and get more details before I decide what I think about punishment and rehabilitation.

I can respect that there is a variety of opinions on youthful offenders and what should happen to them. But, can we get back to Tessa and leave the political out of this? Currently, there are two people who are charged and they are 13 and 14. I hope that Tessa will get justice.

I can respect that there is a variety of opinions on youthful offenders and what should happen to them. But, can we get back to Tessa and leave the political out of this? Currently, there are two people who are charged and they are 13 and 14. I hope that Tessa will get justice.

Thank You! This isn't political and shouldn't be. Nothing should be assumed until we know more.

All we know is this is a horrible tragedy and the POI's are children and I hope that they get what they deserve. Be it jail or rehabilitation. I lean towards rehabilitation due to their age. I don't know their situation.

So, he deserves 'rehabilitation' - meaning he'll be out in a year or two running around living his life while she's 6' under and ice-cold. Her life is over, gone. She will never graduate college. She will never get married. She will never have children. She will never be there to help her parents when they get old. She will never again got to Disney World, or the beach, or shopping at Target. She will never be able to have a Big Mac with fries, or some messy BBQ, or a soft-serve ice cream con on a hot summer day. She won't ever be able to take a cruise. She won't ever be able to explore the castles of England. She won't be buying any of her friends gifts for their birthdays. Oh no, every single thing for her is over at 18. 18! Meanwhile, this kid is going to walk away, free to do whatever he wants, and hey, he got away with killing someone once, so maybe he'll do it again, huh?

THANK YOU. I feel the same way. xoxo

And if it was the 14 year old who committed this murder, or some 16 year old the 13 & 14 yr.old planned along with to rob and stab someone... that doesn't make me feel better !

I just keep thinking about Tessa and how her family no longer has the privilege of even seeing her or hearing her voice.

The offenders no matter their age will get prison visits and love and support from their families.
Even if it was a life sentence, their relatives could still see them and send letters and money for the commissary.
They will of course be appointed a lawyer and have bed and board and medical care.
And if needed, protection from any other juvvies who might harm him or them.
Where was that protection for Tessa ?

The Majors family have to be in complete anguish and will mourn her until the day they die.
This isn't 'political'.
It's looking at the severity of of what they did to this young lady.

And if it was the 14 year old who committed this murder, or some 16 year old the 13 & 14 yr.old planned along with to rob and stab someone... that doesn't make me feel better !

I just keep thinking about Tessa and how her family no longer has the privilege of even seeing her or hearing her voice.

The offenders no matter their age will get prison visits and love and support from their families.
Even if it was a life sentence, their relatives could still see them and send letters and money for the commissary.
They will of course be appointed a lawyer and have bed and board and medical care.

The Majors family have to be in complete anguish and will mourn her until the day they die.
This isn't 'political'.

We don't know if they planned to stab someone. That has not beet stated by LE and shouldn't be spoken as fact.
We don't know what happened.
We only know they are children and we don't know the circumstances that led to this point.

Unless you have a link to where MSM has said this was premeditated murder? Id like to see that if it exists.

<snip, BBM> Following the 2012 U.S. Supreme Court ruling in Miller v. Alabama2) states and the federal government are required to consider the unique circumstances of each juvenile defendant in determining an individualized sentence. Montgomery v. Louisiana,3) a 2016 decision, ensures that the decision applies retroactively. For juveniles, a mandatory life sentence without the possibility of parole is unconstitutional.

Research on adolescent brain development confirms the commonsense understanding that children are different from adults in ways that are critical to identifying age appropriate criminal sentences. This understanding – Justice Kennedy called it what “any parent knows”4) – was central to four recent Supreme Court decisions excluding juveniles from the harshest sentencing practices. The most recent, Montgomery, emphasized that the use of life without parole (mandatorily or not) should only be reserved for those juveniles whose offenses reflected “irreparable corruption,”5) a ruling that Justice Scalia (in dissent) wrote may eventually “eliminat[e] life without parole for juvenile offenders.”6)

<snip> Supreme Court Rulings
Since 2005, Supreme Court rulings have accepted adolescent brain science and banned the use of capital punishment for juveniles, limited life without parole sentences to homicide offenders, banned the use of mandatory life without parole, and applied the decision retroactively. In 2012, the Court ruled that judges must consider the unique circumstances of each juvenile offender, banning mandatory sentences of life without parole for all juveniles; in 2016, this decision was made retroactive to those sentenced prior to 2012.

Juvenile Life Without Parole: An Overview | The Sentencing Project
blue emph. mine
Thanks for this informative post.

Stabbing repeatedly fits the definition of "Irreparable corruption".
I do not see even verbal repentance making these offenders safe for civilized society.

None of these posts seem very political.
But rather informative and helpful in understanding the laws at this time.

And some laws concerning minors vary from state to state.

We don't know if they planned to stab someone. That has not beet stated by LE and shouldn't be spoken as fact.
We don't know what happened.
We only know they are children and we don't know the circumstances that led to this point.

Unless you have a link to where MSM has said this was premeditated murder? Id like to see that if it exists.
I guess the knife was for what? Show and tell?

This isn't 'political'.

Everything you wrote is not political. The political I was referring to was about views on the mayor, policing, and consequences/lack of consequences that are imposed. I am all for everyone talking about the fact that this murder was heinous and the people who committed it should be held to account. As in all WS cases, the perpetrators are people who have not only killed their target but robbed families of their victims. I would caution that it will be important to see who is charged and who is adjudicated guilty once this goes to trial.

Rehibilitation is extensive therepy and training to help a child is likely mental issues and a traumatic upbringing to become productive members of society in time. This is a child and we don't understand the circumstances of his life that might have attributed to him doing this.

But....
Jordan Brown did a much much more heinous act and got released, got to go to college, hasn't been arrested since.
Joseph Hall murdered someone and will get rehabilitated.
Andrew Golden was rehabilitated and was never charged of a crime after his release.
Derek King was rehabilitated and never charged of a crime after release.
Cody Posey has been rehabilitated.

What do these children have in common that this 13 year old doesn't that is causing for people to call for him to be chained up for the rest of his life?

Again, not diminishing the tragic loss of a woman, but when it comes to children (vs adults), IMO we have to be more open to rehabilitation.
bbm

Do you have links for these offenders ?
I know who Andrew Golden is.
Not everyone is rehabilitated successfully.
Imo.

Joseph Hall has murdered and "will get" rehabilitated ? Do you know this ?
If JH is rehabilitated, would you want him living with you or your family ?
I will be honest and it might sound harsh, but my decision would be hell no.

We only have the links for Tessa's murder in msm; you can read the same links I've been reading; but it's a safe assumption that they went to that park looking to rob and murder.

This link says they originally encountered a man :
'Second suspect arrested in Tessa Majors murder' | Daily Mail Online

According to police sources, the 13-year-old was arrested on Thursday in an apartment where he was trespassing. When he was taken into custody, he started talking about the murder and told detectives that he and his middle school friends decided to go mugging after school on Wednesday..."

Who does that ? Decides after school to go mugging ?
Did the boys need drug money ? Or was it just for a thrill ?
Makes one wonder what was going on at their homes ?
Were their fathers too strict with them and they were 'acting out' ?

The fact that the aunt of the 13 year old is already defending him when even she doesn't know if he had any part in this is telling; imo.

Last edited:
Everything you wrote is not political. The political I was referring to was about views on the mayor, policing, and consequences/lack of consequences that are imposed. I am all for everyone talking about the fact that this murder was heinous and the people who committed it should be held to account. As in all WS cases, the perpetrators are people who have not only killed their target but robbed families of their victims. I would caution that it will be important to see who is charged and who is adjudicated guilty once this goes to trial.
I think you misread my post but the views on the mayor and/or policing may possibly come into some importance.
What do you think ?

Tessa's family may feel that more security is needed around that campus and not just on it.
I agree with your post; btw.

Especially considering he can only be charged as a juvenile.

Here is a link to the Raise the Age Flow Chart for NYS. These offenders are not limited to be being charged as juveniles. Felony murder is not an automatic but significant physical injury (as in this case) and display of a weapon are. Then, it is up to the DA to show extraordinary circumstances with an affirmative being that the offender goes to youth part where there age is taken into consideration at sentencing but treated as an adult. https://www.nycourts.gov/courthelp/pdfs/RTA_flowchart.pdf

I think you misread my post but the views on the mayor and/or policing may possibly come into some importance.
What do you think ?

Tessa's family may feel that more security is needed around that campus and not just on it.
I agree with your post; btw.

Politics the mayor and policing ordinances have no place in this thread because they have nothing to do with the case and are against TOS.

bbm

Do you have links for these offenders ?
I know who Andrew Golden is.
Not everyone is rehabilitated successfully.
Imo.

Joseph Hall has murdered and "will get" rehabilitated ? Do you know this ?
If JH is rehabilitated, would you want him living with you or your family ?
I will be honest and it might sound harsh, but my decision would be hell no.

We only have the links for Tessa's murder in msm; you can read the same links I've been reading; but it's a safe assumption that they went to that park looking to rob and murder.

This link says they originally encountered a man :
'Second suspect arrested in Tessa Majors murder' | Daily Mail Online

According to police sources, the 13-year-old was arrested on Thursday in an apartment where he was trespassing. When he was taken into custody, he started talking about the murder and told detectives that he and his middle school friends decided to go mugging after school on Wednesday..."

Who does that ? Decides after school to go mugging ?
Did the boys need drug money ? Or was it just for a thrill ?
Makes one wonder what was going on at their homes ?
Were their fathers too strict with them and they were 'acting out' ?

The fact that the aunt of the 13 year old is already defending him when even she doesn't know if he had any part in this is telling; imo.

All The names listed have been rehabilitated, releases and living rehabilitated lives crime free. They got the chance at rehabilitation and embraced. These children should be punished yes, but not denied rehabilitation if they prove they can be.

1. Your article is daily mail, very well know to not be precise with their reporting

2. Nowhere in the quote or article you posted says they went out and looked to kill.

3. Yes exactly, they need their circumstances to be looked at. If these children were abused, that needs to be looked at and potentially given a chance at rehabilitation with proper professionals. It’s not unheard of and is done all the time, a lot of children take advantage of rehabilitation once they are taken away from abuse.

Also the aunt defending the kid means nothing. Parents and loved ones defend children and family members all the time. Innocent until proven guilty right? It doesn’t signal anything.

Except policing ordinances concerning campus safety are pertinent to this specific case.
We can discuss the police in this forum as far as crimes are related.
LE have spoken to this 13 year old and they most likely have more information than we are privy to.

We're permitted discuss what's in msm.

".... 'Second suspect arrested in Tessa Majors murder' | Daily Mail Online
Mayor Bill de Blasio vowed on Thursday that detectives would resolve the crime quickly.
He has come under fire for escalating murder rates in the city in recent months.
Tessa, a budding musician who also had hopes of becoming a journalist, had only been living in the city since August. ..."

My opinion is that reward offered could generate more tips.
It'd help if it was larger.

I just don’t get why they had to stab her? I mean, even if she resisted and bit them, they were a group of teen guys and she was a slight 18 year old girl. They could have overpowered her easily, taken her phone, bag, whatever. No reason to kill her for a stupid phone that they dropped anyway. Stupid to take her life and ruin theirs for absolutely nothing.

2. Nowhere in the quote or article you posted says they went out and looked to kill.
snipped for focus

Went out to go mugging (and brought a knife or knives).
That doesn't make it sound more innocent ; imo.
Certainly to inflict bodily harm if things went wrong and any 13 year old or older will know that a knife can kill.

<modsnip>

13-year-old charged in fatal stabbing of Barnard student; others sought
".... The juvenile was apprehended at about 11 p.m. Thursday, and as of Friday was not being charged as an adult...."
If he did the stabbing and is lying, charges can be upgraded. It's still early on in this case.

"I am absolutely confident that any individuals involved in this terrible, heinous attack will be brought to justice and will be brought to justice quickly," New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio said Friday during a radio interview...."

We were blessed to know Tess : Augusta Free Press

I’ve always loved writing. I’ve been writing in various forms since I was a little kid. I’d write in a journal, write about myself, write poems. More recently, I’d started to write songs. But journalism was a field that I’d never really delved into before,” Tess told me in an interview that we recorded for a podcast at the end of her internship in May.
A nice article about "Tess".
She was also gifted musically as well.
She was going places !
:(

An older article :

Minors questioned in 'horrifying' fatal stabbing of Barnard College student: Police - ABC News

".....During a struggle, one of the suspects pulled out a knife and stabbed Majors several times, Harrison said. A knife was recovered from the scene, but it is unclear if it is the weapon used in the stabbing.
<snip>

There have been no arrests so far, police said. The NYPD is increasing patrols near Morningside Park and Columbia University...."

It's good to see changes are already in place.

And hopefully the knife recovered is the weapon.
Those women on campus probably thought they were safer during daylight hours. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back