GUILTY NY - Thomas Valva, 8, autistic, killed, NYPD father & fiancee arrested, Suffolk Co, 17 Jan 2020 *arrests*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I've thought about this a lot and I've come to the conclusion that the only thing that would keep me away from my children in this situation is if I knew by seeing them it made things worse for them at home. Justyna clearly showed that the boys were mistreated in reference to her and their visits with her so maybe that is why she thought it best not to push back on this? Either way, it's all just so heartbreaking for her and Thomas' brothers.

She pushed back, but she was pushing for unsupervised visits instead of supervised visits. She said the judge “unlawfully deprived me from seeing my kids unsupervised“, which makes it seem like she was refusing supervised visits out of principle IMO. I don’t mean this to sound judgmental towards her because I know she’s been through hell.

Child support may not be taxable but withdrawals from retirement accounts are. Even if the funds are transferred via a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO). So, not only will this take 3 months but this is a taxable event for her, sigh.

I also am disgusted with this jerk that he was getting those big fat deposits of cash of undetermined origins (as previously posted) and yet he only had $30k in his retirement account.

"In court today, a judge ruled that funds from Michael's retirement plan, valued at around $30,000, will be diverted to Justyna to pay for child support.

The judge also removed the attorney for the children, Donna McCabe, from the case. That happened after Ms. McCabe requested to be relieved of her duties.

Zubko-Valva told News 12 after the court appearance that her son was failed by the system and she's trying to make sure no other child suffers the way Thomas did.

The judge also ruled that the surviving children in this case will remain in the custody of their mother.

Their next family court date is scheduled for March 13."

Regarding the $30k retirement account. He probably just banked on that sweet NYPD pension (which he would have if he didn’t kill his son and served 5 more years). I am actually surprised he has any retirement savings at all.

Really? Wouldn't the account be liquidated first, then the after tax value used to pay child support?

I assumed/speculated/guessed that the amount of CS hadn't been determined yet, but that the money was expected to be liquidated and used to pay some while the amount is negotiated.

Upon liquidation, the non-custodial parent who owned the account would have to pay the taxes and any penalties on it. The amount that goes to the custodial parent would be credited as CS paid.
If the monies are transferred via a QDRO, they’re taxable to her when she withdrawals them. If he withdraws the funds, writes the child support office a check, they’re taxable to him. The child support office then sends the monies to Mom, and at that point, the monies are not taxable to her.

If the monies are transferred via a QDRO, they’re taxable to her when she withdrawals them. If he withdraws the funds, writes the child support office a check, they’re taxable to him. The child support office then sends the monies to Mom, and at that point, the monies are not taxable to her.

Wow! Thanks. It’s good to have a payroll expert around. :)

I’m learning a lot.

Thomas Valva's parents verbally spar in court

The NYPD officer charged with killing his 8-year-old son argued in matrimonial court with his estranged wife during a Thursday appearance in which he shook his head and objected when she declared that he had murdered the boy.

“I object to that,” said Michael Valva, ... “She should not be saying such things,” he said of the accusations of his estranged wife, Justyna Zubko-Valva, who said in court that he had murdered Thomas Valva, one of their three sons, after longtime abuse.

Zubko-Valva, 36, of Valley Stream, who is also representing herself in the divorce case, sparred with Valva over finances as well. She accused him of hiding funds from her and failing to pay the mortgage on their marital residence — now in foreclosure — despite a previous court order.

...Valva countered with accusations that Zubko-Valva refused to see or even speak to their sons ...after he was granted temporary custody in 2017 amid their divorce and custody battle...

Zubko-Valva was awarded custody of Thomas' two brothers after Valva was charged with murder.

Valva countered that Zubko-Valva makes $65,000 annually ... Valva, a transit officer, is suspended without pay from the NYPD.

“Ms. Zubko refuses to provide any further finances,” said Valva, adding: “She also gets countless hours of overtime.”

Jeffrey A. Goodstein, supervising judge of the Nassau County Matrimonial Center, issued several orders, ... approving the request of Donna McCabe, who was a court-appointed attorney for the Valva boys since 2016, to be removed from the case...He ordered Thomas McNally, the same attorney appointed to represent the children in Suffolk Family Court, to represent them in their parents' divorce.

Goodstein also ordered Valva to give $11,000 from his 401(k) to Zubko-Valva for child support. Valva did not object. The judge also said he would consider appointing an attorney for Valva in the divorce case regarding custody issues only, pending a financial analysis. Zubko-Valva has refused to have an attorney.

Goodstein, referencing the Jan. 27 family court order granting temporary custody of Anthony and Andrew to their mother, told Valva: "You have no access to them whatsoever, you understand that?"

Valva replied: "I understand that."

Goodstein permitted Zubko-Valva to speak at length during the proceeding. She harshly criticized McCabe’s handling of the case, repeating accusations she has long made [that the attorney was representing Valva, not the children]... and claimed McCabe is the sister of former FBI Director Andrew McCabe...the attorney said was false.

McCabe told the judge ... “I have no relation to Andrew McCabe.”

Outside court, Zubko-Valva said she was “very grateful” that McCabe was off the case.

The parents are scheduled to be back in court on June 30.

The NYPD officer charged with killing his 8-year-old son argued in matrimonial court with his estranged wife during a Thursday appearance in which he shook his head and objected when she declared that he had murdered the boy.

“I object to that,” said Michael Valva, ... “She should not be saying such things,” he said of the accusations of his estranged wife, Justyna Zubko-Valva, who said in court that he had murdered Thomas Valva, one of their three sons, after longtime abuse.

Zubko-Valva, 36, of Valley Stream, who is also representing herself in the divorce case, sparred with Valva over finances as well. She accused him of hiding funds from her and failing to pay the mortgage on their marital residence — now in foreclosure — despite a previous court order.

...Valva countered with accusations that Zubko-Valva refused to see or even speak to their sons ...after he was granted temporary custody in 2017 amid their divorce and custody battle...

Zubko-Valva was awarded custody of Thomas' two brothers after Valva was charged with murder.

Valva countered that Zubko-Valva makes $65,000 annually ... Valva, a transit officer, is suspended without pay from the NYPD.

“Ms. Zubko refuses to provide any further finances,” said Valva, adding: “She also gets countless hours of overtime.”

Jeffrey A. Goodstein, supervising judge of the Nassau County Matrimonial Center, issued several orders, ... approving the request of Donna McCabe, who was a court-appointed attorney for the Valva boys since 2016, to be removed from the case...He ordered Thomas McNally, the same attorney appointed to represent the children in Suffolk Family Court, to represent them in their parents' divorce.

Goodstein also ordered Valva to give $11,000 from his 401(k) to Zubko-Valva for child support. Valva did not object. The judge also said he would consider appointing an attorney for Valva in the divorce case regarding custody issues only, pending a financial analysis. Zubko-Valva has refused to have an attorney.

Goodstein, referencing the Jan. 27 family court order granting temporary custody of Anthony and Andrew to their mother, told Valva: "You have no access to them whatsoever, you understand that?"

Goodstein permitted Zubko-Valva to speak at length during the proceeding. She harshly criticized McCabe’s handling of the case, repeating accusations she has long made [that the attorney was representing Valva, not the children]... and claimed McCabe is the sister of former FBI Director Andrew McCabe...the attorney said was false.

Outside court, Zubko-Valva said she was “very grateful” that McCabe was off the case.

She’s not going to be able to work overtime now and raise her boys. She was probably working overtime to keep from going nuts from what these people were doing to her. Plus saving money if she could living in NY!! If that’s all he could come up with, along with the gripe about her choice with visitation, he’s a pathetic dimwit. No wonder his attorney bailed!

Valva countered that Zubko-Valva makes $65,000 annually as a New York City correction officer at Rikers Island. Valva, a transit officer, is suspended without pay from the NYPD.

She’s not going to be able to work overtime now and raise her boys. She was probably working overtime to keep from going nuts from what these people were doing to her. Plus saving money if she could living in NY!! If that’s all he could come up with, along with the gripe about her choice with visitation, he’s a pathetic dimwit. No wonder his attorney bailed!

Valva countered that Zubko-Valva makes $65,000 annually as a New York City correction officer at Rikers Island. Valva, a transit officer, is suspended without pay from the NYPD.

Her salary (along with his) is public information since she is a city employee. Not only does she not make $65k, she didn’t make $1 of overtime in 2019, and only a bit of OT in the previous year. What a dumb thing for him to lie about.

edit- I had the years mixed up. She made a little bit of OT in 2019, and 2018, but not 2017. Even with overtime, her salary was more than $10k less than $65k.

From the link...

She harshly criticized McCabe’s handling of the case, repeating accusations she has long made.... and claimed McCabe is the sister of former FBI Director Andrew McCabe, which the attorney said was false.

McCabe told the judge “I do not wish to address” the mother’s allegations, but added: “I have no relation to Andrew McCabe.”

Zubko-Valva also criticized the court reporter, tasked with taking notes and making a transcript of the hearing, after the veteran court reporter asked a fast-talking Zubko-Valva several times to repeat herself in a courtroom with poor acoustics.

"The court reporter's pretending she can't hear me," said Zubko-Valva, who questioned if the transcript would be accurate and asked the judge for a new court reporter. The judge declined the request.

Big yikes. The mom needs a lawyer like NOW. I completely understand that she does not trust anyone in authority, but accusations like these are not going to help her case. Many, many lawyers have offered her pro bono representation, but she refuses. I hope she has some trustworthy loved ones that can convince her to accept legal assistance.

In regards to Zubko-Valva needing a lawyer now-

Yeah! She does. And especially in the past few years, she did. It seems she does not trust the “system” (and why should she) nor does she trust attorneys, possibly because the ones she has seen in family court are ugly. Still, the more strategic way to play this would have been to let an attorney who knows the courts do the fighting.

But that is sad. She is a constituent who is talking about her child. There is no expectation that she be dispassionate.

A detached professional on her side might have been more successful, but it seems that this is true only because family court failed to be a detached professionals themselves. They seemed to be reacting emotionally based on their feelings about Zubko-Valva, rather than objectively on behalf of Thomas.

The “professionals” had the responsibility to cut through to what pertains to the interests of the children. Instead, they seemed determined to punish Zubko-Valva, and Thomas (and to a lesser extent his brothers and virtual step sisters) were collateral damage.

MOO :(

HAUPPAUGE, Long Island (WABC) -- Suffolk County officials are responding to the gruesome murder of 8-year-old Thomas Valva by introducing six new bills.

The six bills collectively called the Child Protective Services Transformation Act will fundamentally change the ways that CPS does business.

The legislation would create a specialized unit within CPS to handle all cases involving children with autism or other developmental disabilities.

It would also require CPS workers to receive investigating training twice a year, mandate increased scrutiny for complains coming in from certain school officials and it would establish caseload standards.

CPS workers will not be permitted to carry more than 15 cases at one time.

Daniel Levler, the president of the Suffolk Association of of Municipal Employees, which is the union representing Suffolk CPS workers, said for the past several years the union has been trying to make changes to how Suffolk County addresses staffing levels and improves resources in CPS.

New bill would increase oversight for CPS in Suffolk County after death of Thomas Valva

Thomas Valva's mother said Tuesday she does not want a proposed legislation named after her son.

Suffolk lawmakers introduced the Thomas Valva Act, which aims to create an inspector general's office. Lawmakers say the independent authority would investigate allegations of misconduct, mismanagement and corruption in county government.

However, his mother, Justyna Zubko-Valva said she didn't want the bill to be named after her son because she thought the new proposed office was too similar to other agencies that ignored her prior "cries for help."

Mother of Thomas Valva doesn't want proposed Suffolk legislation to be named after her son

What an arrogant and utterly tone deaf proposal to recommend naming changes after Thomas when the changes have nothing to do with what killed him: agencies were not listening to Mom.

The school made a couple of reports but didn’t complain about the outcomes of the reports, as far as I know. Mom sounded the alarm. And the response is, take the school more seriously?

I don’t see how Thomas’ autism has anything to do with his murder either. It seems that the law guardian was trying to minimize the boys’ disabilities, and seemed to imply that they were not real. That is appalling, but is not a factor in what caused Thomas to die, IMO.

I agree with Justyna. Naming those reforms (which are not bad ideas) after Thomas is disrespectful when the killing flaw was refusal to take Thomas’ mother seriously.

The suggestion is just one more episode of agencies not listening to Mom.

What an arrogant and utterly tone deaf proposal to recommend naming changes after Thomas when the changes have nothing to do with what killed him: agencies were not listening to Mom.

The school made a couple of reports but didn’t complain about the outcomes of the reports, as far as I know. Mom sounded the alarm. And the response is, take the school more seriously?

I don’t see how Thomas’ autism has anything to do with his murder either. It seems that the law guardian was trying to minimize the boys’ disabilities, and seemed to imply that they were not real. That is appalling, but is not a factor in what caused Thomas to die, IMO.

I agree with Justyna. Naming those reforms (which are not bad ideas) after Thomas is disrespectful when the killing flaw was refusal to take Thomas’ mother seriously.

The suggestion is just one more episode of agencies not listening to Mom.
The Blue Wall - It is difficult to understand why no one takes this seriously. All these failures point back to it. It’s like the elephant in the room that no one talks about. Until, and only until, a human being suffers the consequences. Mom & the mandatory reporters tried to save this helpless little boy. It’s everyone else that failed to do what they agreed to, or took an oath to do. I wouldn’t want this bill to be named after Thomas either. He’s not their poster child for their inadequacies or for marketing purposes.

Lawyer: Thomas Valva's father is 'emotionally distraught' over son's death

Thomas Valva’s death from hypothermia in an unheated garage was a tragic accident and the boy’s NYPD officer father is “emotionally distraught” over the boy’s death, the man’s new court-appointed attorney said Thursday.

John LoTurco, a Garden City-based defense attorney, was appointed Thursday to serve as a lawyer for Michael Valva, 40, of Center Moriches, after the NYPD officer charged with Thomas’ death was deemed “indigent” and unable to pay for his own attorney.

“Michael Valva is emotionally distraught over the death of his son Thomas Valva, however we contend that Thomas’ death was a nightmarish accidental death and clearly not a murder,” LoTurco said in a written statement he read to reporters after he and his client appeared briefly before Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice William Condon. “Michael Valva is now being portrayed as a monster, when in actuality he’s a caring father of three boys and his fiancees’ three daughters.”

LoTurco, who said he is being assisted on the case by prominent defense attorney Anthony LaPinta, added that he is contemplating seeking a change of venue because of the pre-trial publicity in the case.

“The media, his estranged wife and the Suffolk district attorney has vilified him and sensationalized this story whereby it is almost impossible to obtain a fair trial in this jurisdiction on his behalf. Nonetheless, we vow to provide him with the most zealous representation possible. The district attorney has descried the living environment at his home as a house of horrors. Yet, this is far more complex. In actuality, the Valva home was a 2,800 square foot, four bedroom, beautiful colonial home in a lovely neighborhood filled with love, six children, toys, stuffed animals, games, closets filled with expensive clothing, family photos and mementos.”

Thomas’ mother, Justyna Zubko-Valva, said after court that Valva was hiding money and it was unacceptable that Valva was receiving a taxpayer-funded attorney.

I'm admittedly ashamed that I'm remotely curious what this evil monster will be spewing about an "accident" -- how do your sons go to school in urine soaked clothing, starving, bruised - and he has the nerve to even attempt to explain his death as a nightmarish accident?

I don't know how these court appointed attorneys do it, honestly.

Lawyer: Thomas Valva's father is 'emotionally distraught' over son's death

Thomas Valva’s death from hypothermia in an unheated garage was a tragic accident and the boy’s NYPD officer father is “emotionally distraught” over the boy’s death, the man’s new court-appointed attorney said Thursday.

John LoTurco, a Garden City-based defense attorney, was appointed Thursday to serve as a lawyer for Michael Valva, 40, of Center Moriches, after the NYPD officer charged with Thomas’ death was deemed “indigent” and unable to pay for his own attorney.

“Michael Valva is emotionally distraught over the death of his son Thomas Valva, however we contend that Thomas’ death was a nightmarish accidental death and clearly not a murder,” LoTurco said in a written statement he read to reporters after he and his client appeared briefly before Suffolk County Supreme Court Justice William Condon. “Michael Valva is now being portrayed as a monster, when in actuality he’s a caring father of three boys and his fiancees’ three daughters.”

LoTurco, who said he is being assisted on the case by prominent defense attorney Anthony LaPinta, added that he is contemplating seeking a change of venue because of the pre-trial publicity in the case.

“The media, his estranged wife and the Suffolk district attorney has vilified him and sensationalized this story whereby it is almost impossible to obtain a fair trial in this jurisdiction on his behalf. Nonetheless, we vow to provide him with the most zealous representation possible. The district attorney has descried the living environment at his home as a house of horrors. Yet, this is far more complex. In actuality, the Valva home was a 2,800 square foot, four bedroom, beautiful colonial home in a lovely neighborhood filled with love, six children, toys, stuffed animals, games, closets filled with expensive clothing, family photos and mementos.”

Thomas’ mother, Justyna Zubko-Valva, said after court that Valva was hiding money and it was unacceptable that Valva was receiving a taxpayer-funded attorney.

I'm admittedly ashamed that I'm remotely curious what this evil monster will be spewing about an "accident" -- how do your sons go to school in urine soaked clothing, starving, bruised - and he has the nerve to even attempt to explain his death as a nightmarish accident?

I don't know how these court appointed attorneys do it, honestly.

I was looking for the vomit emoji but I guess it's no longer available. To quote another disdainful defense attorney from another case I'm following, this entire statement about Valva is "fanciful fiction".

For this defendant to say that "she shouldn't say that"of his girlfriend, instead of "I didn't do it" shows not only guilt but the stupidity of criminals. This poor angel was not protected by his own father or the courts. How many children have to die before courts rule on documents gathered to protect them, rather than how connected someone is or how much money one parent has compared to the other? I feel so sorry for his biological Mom. She still has to be in court, after all that she has been thru. I cannot imagine even the deep bone pain this angel must have felt as he froze.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back