NY - Twenty Fatality Traffic Crash, Schoharie County, 6 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In LLLindsayy's link above is the following new info (I've been so busy I haven't even looked at much this week, finally got to reading the article)

BBM: A witness!

"The condition of the Ford Excursion’s brakes is a critical element of the ongoing criminal investigation. A person briefed on the statement of a witness said that moments before the crash, the limousine had pulled to the side of Route 30. The limousine was rolling slowly forward on the shoulder, the witness told investigators, but its backup lights and audible warning signal were both on. The witness continued driving down Route 30 and had stopped at the intersection of Route 30A when the limousine, its motor roaring like a jet engine, descended the hill at a high rate of speed."
Thanks for posting this article. I'd read it because I'm local, but hadn't gotten here to post. I did know about the witness's account very early on, but couldn't say anything. The limo driver was certainly trying to avoid other vehicles. We're just going to have to keep waiting for any info re: the vehicle itself.

I've been still hoping we'd get a prelim report, and maybe we will, but haven't heard any noise about it. There were a few other unusual ( for us) tragedies ( 2 murder/suicides barely hours apart, and not too far apart in miles, though totally unrelated..) in our county recently that seem to have simply piled on the collective grief, but hopefully healing has begun. It'll never be complete for the families. Thanks all for keeping this thread going!

I've been still hoping we'd get a prelim report, and maybe we will, but haven't heard any noise about it. There were a few other unusual ( for us) tragedies ( 2 murder/suicides barely hours apart, and not too far apart in miles, though totally unrelated..) in our county recently that seem to have simply piled on the collective grief, but hopefully healing has begun. It'll never be complete for the families. Thanks all for keeping this thread going!

I just closed on my house in Canajoharie this past Wed, and already have met people that know either Samantha (the girl who was murdered in a nearby town for those not following that case) or one or more of the many who died in the Schoharie crash. I hired a handyman who lived near where they found Samantha's body in Oppenheim. He brought his son who had known her. I can already tell these tragedies have hit these communities very hard.

If you go to the Sharon Springs today FB page, you'll see beautiful wreaths the staff at the Apple Barrel made for the limo crash victims. Very touching.

I just closed on my house in Canajoharie this past Wed, and already have met people that know either Samantha (the girl who was murdered in a nearby town for those not following that case) or one or more of the many who died in the Schoharie crash. I hired a handyman who lived near where they found Samantha's body in Oppenheim. He brought his son who had known her. I can already tell these tragedies have hit these communities very hard.

If you go to the Sharon Springs today FB page, you'll see beautiful wreaths the staff at the Apple Barrel made for the limo crash victims. Very touching.
Congratulations on your closing, Jilllian! I did see those wreaths and the memorial looks lovely. It IS a very small, connected world! Did you mean to say Michaela, rather than Samantha?

Congratulations on your closing, Jilllian! I did see those wreaths and the memorial looks lovely. It IS a very small, connected world! Did you mean to say Michaela, rather than Samantha?
THANK YOU! And Yikes, yep, I meant Michaela, not her mom! ;)

High court Ethan Allen ruling poses legal roadblock for limo victims

Longish article on potential challenges to suing NYS based on a previous case (a boat sinking).

Included is a comment:
"Jones, who declined to identify his firm's client, said he intends to file two claims on behalf of the deceased, a wrongful death claim and an estate claim based on "fear of impending death."

"These victims all knew what was unfolding before them, and because they knew it would happen, they suffered the emotional and psychological fear associated with that vehicle barreling down the highway, out of control," he said."

I know we've heard of the text that the limo was loud, but a witness statement indicated the limo was on the side of the road. More confusing details.

Two Months After Crash, Where Does Schoharie Investigation Stand?

The crash site is near the Apple Barrel Country Store. The updates stated that the owners have dedicated a memorial as well as created a memorial foundation (at least that's how the article reads, not sure if it's the store or another entity).

"They have also created the Reflections Memorial Foundation, which you can donate to by visiting the website. So far, that foundation has raised more than $17,000 for the victims' families."

From the New York Times "That conflict flared on Thursday as the National Transportation Safety Board released a letter accusing the Schoharie County district attorney, Susan J. Mallery, of blocking its investigative team at almost every turn, including access to the limousine."

Are we allowed to sleuth into people involved in prosecuting?
What is the hold up? WHY block the NTSB? It sounds as though this us unusual, not common, and one needs to wonder why -- my heart hurts for these families.

From the New York Times "That conflict flared on Thursday as the National Transportation Safety Board released a letter accusing the Schoharie County district attorney, Susan J. Mallery, of blocking its investigative team at almost every turn, including access to the limousine."

Are we allowed to sleuth into people involved in prosecuting?
What is the hold up? WHY block the NTSB? It sounds as though this us unusual, not common, and one needs to wonder why -- my heart hurts for these families.

It’s infuriating.

I wonder if this is part of the problem...

The seeming impasse in the investigation is in stark contrast to the violence of the accident and the flurry of developments in its immediate aftermath, including the revelation that the owner of the limousine company that rented the vehicle, Prestige Limousine, was Shahed Hussain, a former F.B.I. informant with a criminal record who has been living in Pakistan.

I'm not sure exactly what I make of this. I'm going to have to read and digest more. It seems the delay has to do with the prosecutor's case-building, obviously, but I've been wondering if the NTSB had yet been able to look at the limo and am not happy the answer is no.

I've met our DA and like her, and she has a lot of experience in that office, so for the time being, I'm going to give her the benefit of the doubt. At least, until I learn more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heartishome