GUILTY NY - Valerie Reyes, 24, found deceased, New Rochelle, 29 Jan 2019 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Valerie died of asphyxiation, not head trauma.
CBS2 Exclusive: Valerie Reyes Died From Asphyxiation, Sources Confirm
Not a big surprise.... but was this a crime of passion/rage, or did he show up knowing this would not go well? I went through his instagram wall, and was struck by how sensitive he seem(ed). (Perhaps too sensitive?)
Someone here made an earlier point about how important it is for women to be ok with saying no, and recognizing the signs of someone who is not going to be ok with a no. It's heartbreaking how Valerie probably went outside her comfort zone out of compassion. She clearly deserved so much better.

Not a big surprise.... but was this a crime of passion/rage, or did he show up knowing this would not go well? I went through his instagram wall, and was struck by how sensitive he seem(ed). (Perhaps too sensitive?)
Someone here made an earlier point about how important it is for women to be ok with saying no, and recognizing the signs of someone who is not going to be ok with a no. It's heartbreaking how Valerie probably went outside her comfort zone out of compassion. She clearly deserved so much better.

Your post made me choke up. Poor Valerie. The whole thing is so horrifying.

RSBM. Excellent post, and something all young people should be educated about.

Thanks, Emma Rose and Reasonable... I do hope that if anything, this compels schools and organizations that impact girls/young women to prioritize conversations and awareness around doing whatever it takes to steer clear of vulnerable situations.
I hope LE closes loops on 3 things noted by Valerie's mother: 1)Valerie was concerned that someone wanted to murder her, 2) JDS could be pushy/not take a "no," 3) Despite the previous, Valerie wanted to be there for him in his time of need (mom's cancer having not been confirmed to my knowledge).

I'm wondering if Geoffrey Berman will actually decide to seek the death penalty in this case or if he will end up getting to live the rest of his miserable life in prison? I was pro death penalty BUT sometimes I think justice is better served if they are forced to hopefully live with the general population in prison.

In the below Greenwich Time article, U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement said: "Immigration authorities “will aim to take custody of Da Silva for immediate removal when he is released from criminal custody, if and when he released from jail." Not sure what criminal custody means.... Wonder if he could be deported before trial and completion of a sentence or if there's a law that says he must stay for trial and completed sentence before he can be deported? ICE: Accused Greenwich suitcase killer overstayed his visa

criminal custody means while he is serving time for this crime, and no they wont deport him until his time is served.

Not to get too political but to elaborate on the question ctmom posed--

IIUC this is a major part of the "wall" debate. Once foreigners cross the border, legally or illegally, they're entitled to stay in the US until legal proceedings have completed. Many illegals caught, even without major or minor criminal charges, are charged for illegal crossing then they get released after their initial processing and fade into the US populace. The end. :)

they place an immigration hold on the person and once their sentence is completed (or charges go away, whatever) ICE picks them up and deports them to their nation or origin. that's not to say they don't try to come back, but they aren't being released over here.

He was so sensitive that he was using her ATM card to withdraw her money? I guess he didn’t want that money to feel lost and lonely.

(I don’t think that he committed the crime with money as the primary motive, but his actions seem callous to me.)

Came across this bit of insight from a retired NYPD sergeant who now teaches and has written a book on forensics:
Retired Homicide Expert: Reyes Killer Likely Amateur, Spooked While Driving with Victim in Trunk
Makes sense. And senseless.
Thanks for the link..Found this bit interesting..
“Dumping a body by the side of the road is very amateurish from the start,” he said. “No, I’d say this was not a professional hit. They wouldn’t have left it easy to find.”
"As for the amateur nature of the crime, Giacalone said the killer might have been driving around urgently wanting to get rid of the body, which was likely someone he knew well"
"The retired sergeant said from his experience, when a killer has a dead body in the trunk, they drive very carefully. “The last thing you want to do is look nervous, not use your directional signal, or speed.”

He was so sensitive that he was using her ATM card to withdraw her money? I guess he didn’t want that money to feel lost and lonely.

(I don’t think that he committed the crime with money as the primary motive, but his actions seem callous to me.)

I'm not defending or excusing, Wary - far from that. Just noting the cautionary dichotomy between appearances and actions.

Can't access this article - can some give a 10% synopsis please? He has a hearing coming up 3/13 tomorrow & looks like it has been cancelled. - TIA!

Court appearance postponed in murder-kidnapping case
A court appearance by Javier Da Silva, initially scheduled for Wednesday, was postponed, according to court personnel. Another date has yet to be scheduled.

Da Silva, 24, was arrested by the FBI in connection with the death of Valerie Reyes, in cooperation with law-enforcement authorities from Greenwich and New Rochelle, N.Y., where Reyes lived.

Funeral held for New York woman whose body was found in suitcase in Connecticut | Daily Mail Online

An emotional funeral was held Wednesday for Valerie Reyes, the 24-year-old woman whose corpse was found stuffed inside a suitcase dumped on the side of a quiet road in suburban Connecticut.

Dozens of friends and relatives were seen hugging and wiping away tears outside of St Gabriel's Church in New Rochelle, New York.

Many of the attendees wore white sweatshirts bearing a photo of Reyes and the words: 'In Loving Memory of our beautiful soul Valerie. You captured so many hearts'.

'She was just silly and just a free soul, beautiful soul. She's going to be missed,' Reyes' cousin Desiree Rodriguez said as she made her way into the church on Wednesday.

'We're devastated, but we're happy that the person was caught so she gets to go in peace. It kind of brings us a little more peace, too, to let her go.'

After the hour-long memorial service, loved ones held white balloons as a Reyes was buried in a green casket adorned with yellow and white flowers at a cemetery in nearby Rye, New York.

[...]

View attachment 169087View attachment 169088View attachment 169089View attachment 169090View attachment 169091View attachment 169092View attachment 169093

Not that it isn’t sad when any victim dies, but I always feel especially affected when the victim has such a huge and loving family. So utterly heartbreaking to see these photos and know that such a loved young woman was cruelly ripped away from her life and her many many loved ones.

I still think about Valerie all the time, I’m convinced that we could have been friends and that she had wisdom beyond her years. It eats at me that she predicted this, somehow. How perceptive does one have to be to feel this way and then tell their loved ones because their feelings are so strong. It haunts me daily.

I still think about Valerie all the time, I’m convinced that we could have been friends and that she had wisdom beyond her years. It eats at me that she predicted this, somehow. How perceptive does one have to be to feel this way and then tell their loved ones because their feelings are so strong. It haunts me daily.

Hi Dre,

I have the same thoughts. She was ripped from this world, her family, and friends so suddenly... It must be such a horrible shock for them realizing they will never see Valerie again. I feel so bad knowing that for her loved ones, time stands still. I wish there was some way I could relieve their suffering.

Plea deal may be in the works in Greenwich murder

GREENWICH — Lawyers for the accused killer in the murder of Valerie Reyes, whose body was found stuffed in a suitcase beside a road in Greenwich in February, are undertaking a process that may result in a plea bargain.
[.....]
"The government and defense counsel have had discussions regarding a possible disposition of this case as recently as March 2019,” according to court papers filed this week by a federal prosecutor. “The negotiations have not been completed and we plan to continue our discussions.”

The prosecutor has been given another month for negotiations, into early May.

Da Silva made an initial appearance in the U.S. District Court in White Plains, N.Y., for a proceeding called a presentment. He has not entered a plea of “guilty” or “not guilty” in the case, and he has not yet been formally arraigned.

Sometime in May:
*Preliminary Hearing (@ am ET) - NY - Valerie Reyes (24) (missing Jan. 29, 2019, New Rochelle; reported missing Jan. 30; found Feb. 5 Port Chester/Greenwich border in CT (13 miles away)) - *Javier Enrique da Silva Rojas (24) currently charged (2/12/19) with kidnapping resulting in death. (Which carries a potential penalty of death or life in prison. Prosecutors have not yet indicated if they will seek death if he is convicted). Held without bond.
Rojas, who holds dual citizenship in Venezuela and Portugal, entered the US on the Visa Waiver Program — which allows visitors “for tourism or business” to stay for 90 days or less without a visa — on May 8, 2017. Overstayed his visa (Fall of 2017). ICE last Wednesday (2/13/19) placed a detainer on Rojas. Turned himself in to investigators Monday (2/11/19) night. Immigration authorities will aim to take custody of Da Silva for immediate removal when he is released from criminal custody, if & when he released from jail.
Confessed to killing Valerie after he was caught trying to use Reyes’ debit card ($1000) on 1/30/19. Da Silva made a brief appearance in Federal Court in White Plains later Tuesday (2/12/19) to face multiple charges. Ex-BF relationship lasted about 8 months per mother; they broke up about a year ago (2018).
Reyes was reported missing to New Rochelle police on Jan. 30. Sanchez said the family hired a private investigator the next day, who tracked Reyes to Manhattan, where ATM surveillance cameras captured her image around 2 a.m. Reyes' bank card also was used that morning in the city at a different ATM, though it's unclear if she or someone else used the card, Sanchez said.

2/12/19 Update: Charged with kidnapping resulting in death. Next Preliminary hearing on 3/13. 3/13/19: Hearing cancelled.
4/12/19 Update: The negotiations have not been completed and we plan to continue our discussions. The prosecutor has been given another month for negotiations, into early May. No further dates available on court site through 5/6.

If anyone "sees" any updates on this case please post if you find a court date for May. The court site goes thru 5/6. TIA!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
malik562
Back