Found Deceased NY - William Mason, 69, last seen @ home, "highly suspicious", Parma, 25 May 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Press conference.
Missing Parma man investigation now a murder investigation after human remains found in fire pit | RochesterFirst

LE Comments:
  • LE notified on 26 May Parma missing
  • Parma last seen 25 May on his property
  • Spent several hours, days, and weeks at the scene
  • Held Mason's home as evidence in the investigation for several days following MP notification
  • Conducted many searches of the wooded area along w/other agencies
  • Several water searches behind Mason's residence including a quarry
  • Quickly knew this wasn't normal MP case
  • Brought in major crimes unit & several other resources
  • Poured through tips, leads, surveillance, statements, info recv'd, evidence from scene
Current update:
  • based on investigation located a fire pit
  • found bones; sent to ME
  • forensic anthro determined they were human bones
  • 2 unnamed people of interest at this point

Questions (ongoing invest so some ?s won't be answered):

1. Were at a home around the corner. Can you comment on that.
-That's the location on Trimmer Rd; is related to gathering evidence they needed to further their investigation

2. Can you confirm if that's a family member, friend, or what relationship it is to Mr. Parma?
-It's a family member.

3. Is that one of the two suspects?
-Potentially a person of interest.

4. Seeing as the bones were found in a fire pit, is it confirmed yet that he was burned to death?
-Working w/ ME's office & Monroe Cnty Crime Lab. Can't identify whose bones they are @ this point, but they're working to try to get to that point. He can't say one way or another.

5. You mentioned you were getting tips that led you to believe this was diff than a regular MP case. What types of tips those were and what led you to go in a diff direction?
-Some tips led us to review some video in the area of vic's home and other homes and areas in the city. Based on those vids investigators were led to the fire pit.

6. Can you say what was seen in vids? Was it a fam member? Was it Mason himself? What exactly did you see?
-I can't comment on that.

LE Comments:
  • They will continue to pursue w/ every resource avail. Is a significant case for the community. Devoting every resource they have. Contiue to work w/ ME to indentify remains. Will continue w/ invest. leads and those persons of interest.
  • Only update they have until at least Monday. Will be back w/ more info when they get it.
More questions:

7. Any idea on motive at all?
-We do have some ideas but nothing we're ready to release at this time. For the public's welfare, believes it was not a random crime. Believes Mason (if those are his remains) was the sole target.

8. What role did the estate sale play prior to his disappearance?
-The estate sale doesn't necessarily play a role in his disappearance. But b/c of the estate sale they were able to ascertain a lot of the way the house was prior to LE's arrival.

9. Any concern for public safety at all?
-No. They don't believe this is a continuing threat to public safety. If what they believe they're seeing is factual, then this was a targeted case.

10. Are both suspects still in the area?
-I didn't say we have suspects. I said we have POIs. I have nothing that will allow me to call them suspects at this point. It's two ppl we're looking into and currently they are in the area.

11. Have you spoken to both of them?
-They've been spoken to along the way. Yes.

12. Any reason to believe those POIs were present at the estate sale?
-The estate sale had nothing to do w/this.

LE Comments:
  • No updates throughout the weekend unless there are any major developments. TYVM.

Deputies: Bones found in fire pit on property of missing Parma man Here's the link to an article regarding the finding of human remains. Burned bones found in firepit on the property on Trimmer. Deputies say they have two persons of interest--I'm betting the stepson and his wife, who are listed as residents of the property. There are videos of the deputies talking to the press and the public. Also a rather cryptic statement from a neighbor and friend of Bill's--supposedly Bill was going to "throw her out"--who? And sell the house and everything in it, and then move out of state with his sister. Perhaps he was trying to get away from his wife's family? The neighbor was perhaps misquoted.

Deputies: Bones found in fire pit on property of missing Parma man Here's the link to an article regarding the finding of human remains. Burned bones found in firepit on the property on Trimmer. Deputies say they have two persons of interest--I'm betting the stepson and his wife, who are listed as residents of the property. There are videos of the deputies talking to the press and the public. Also a rather cryptic statement from a neighbor and friend of Bill's--supposedly Bill was going to "throw her out"--who? And sell the house and everything in it, and then move out of state with his sister. Perhaps he was trying to get away from his wife's family? The neighbor was perhaps misquoted.

The human remains were found at Bill Mason's home on Ridge Rd.

I agree that the neighbor's statement was odd. All of the statements from the police and news have stated that Bill Mason lived alone.

The human remains were found at Bill Mason's home on Ridge Rd.

I agree that the neighbor's statement was odd. All of the statements from the police and news have stated that Bill Mason lived alone.
I wonder if he possibly owned the other home they were living in and allowed them to stay there? Possibly rented it out and they stopped paying? I have no idea so complete speculation. MOO.

I wonder if he possibly owned the other home they were living in and allowed them to stay there? Possibly rented it out and they stopped paying? I have no idea so complete speculation. MOO.

County clerk records indicate a Mitchel owns the property on Trimmer Rd. Taking that into consideration, plus the fact that Bill's wife passed away late last year, makes me think there's a connection in here somewhere.

I searched county records and I don't believe Bill Mason owned any other properties besides the one he lived at.
There may be financial entanglements. Mitchel may be the owner of record. Mason or his wife might have loaned Mitchel and his wife money. That might be the problem. Now that Mason wanted to sell everything and leave the state, he might have demanded the money owed to him on that property. Neighborhood rumors are that it is Lance Mitchel's wife that Bill was referring to, in his friend's quote. We weren't friends, but I still know people in the neighborhood, on Trimmer Rd.

My sources in the Spencerport area say that their late mother specifically left them out of her will, or at least left them very little in the way of cash, due to drug use on their part. But this is community scuttlebutt. No links to post. In an earlier post, I had assumed it was Lance's wife that the late Bill Mason was referring to, but seems it was his stepdaughter.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeMi2019
Back