OH OH - Amy Mihaljevic, 10, Bay Village, 27 Oct 1989

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He proposed my former boss as a suspect as well!

But to be fair, Renner himself has acknowledged that he has made some missteps in his pursuit of the truth in this case, and that if he had to do it over again, he'd change some things. I don't think that minimizes the stress that some people experienced who were probably entirely innocent and undeserving. I think he got too close to the case and lost perspective for a bit, but I think his heart was in the right place ultimately in trying to bring justice for Amy.

I think you’re right about JR’s motivation-but his speculation was harmful to inocent people, in my opinion. And he was unnecessarily personally mean about the Fettinger family.

James Renner put a lot of effort into his research. In his first book on the case, he did name a suspect but that went nowhere. Later he identified a different guy that did appear to be a very strong suspect. His investigation did not “ discover” this guy. The guy was a teacher in a town not far from Bay Village that some of his students reported him to the FBI. He did have a rather odd background and looked very much like the composite. Most interesting was the fact that Amy’s body was found in the vicinity of the guy’s childhood home. What Renner did was discover his name and basic information; probably from a Law Enforcement source, dug up a little more information and put it all out on the internet. The photos and other information that Renner put out do present a strong circumstantial case against the guy but the FBI appears to have checked him out but then moved on to other suspects. The FBI has not disclosed why he “ downgraded as a suspect”. He is not the guy currently under investigation.

The whole situation with Renner might be a warning about the outing of suspects, particularly suspects that Law Enforcement has not identified. It is too easy to list and perhaps exaggerate “evidence” that suggests guilt while ignoring or downplaying exonerating information. Renner provided one photo that looked just like the composite but we don’t know if that accurately represented how he looked at the time.

Obviously, we don’t know for certain that the teacher was innocent but there was never any justification for putting his name in play as a horrific child killer. Law Enforcement is going to take a look at lots of people who might be involved in any high profile crime and most will be completely uninvolved. Law Enforcement must be allowed to proceed with their investigation in a manner that will not drag the names of innocent people through the mud.

Law enforcement is always permitted to proceed in their investigations, in whatever manner they choose. A book highlighting the cold case and possible suspects isn't going to prevent LE from doing their job, IMO.

I don't see why authors and journalists should be held to WS TOS, as we can't post anything that they don't print, and LE doesn't usually put much out in the media. This and other sites wouldn't exist without journalists, armchair journalists, podcasters, bloggers, vloggers, authors, etc.

This case scarred an entire generation of kids and another generation of parents in NE Ohio. If Renner helped the family keep the case alive, good for him. IMO. In a small town, a book doesn't need to be published for someone to know that they're suspected. The rumor mill makes everyone acutely aware. I like Renner's work, and I see nothing wrong with it. AMOO

Law enforcement is always permitted to proceed in their investigations, in whatever manner they choose. A book highlighting the cold case and possible suspects isn't going to prevent LE from doing their job, IMO.

I don't see why authors and journalists should be held to WS TOS, as we can't post anything that they don't print, and LE doesn't usually put much out in the media. This and other sites wouldn't exist without journalists, armchair journalists, podcasters, bloggers, vloggers, authors, etc.

This case scarred an entire generation of kids and another generation of parents in NE Ohio. If Renner helped the family keep the case alive, good for him. IMO. In a small town, a book doesn't need to be published for someone to know that they're suspected. The rumor mill makes everyone acutely aware. I like Renner's work, and I see nothing wrong with it. AMOO

Should he be allowed to paint innocent people as killers, though, and just move along to his next “suspect”, though, just to keep the case alive (as if anybody in Bay Village has ever forgotten about Amy)?

That would make sense if he met Amy's mother in a bar and posibley got her phone number. Then when he called, Amy answered the phone and he used info that he had about her mother to talk to her.

I missed it I am hoping I can catch it streaming somehow.

I think they have a really good lead, but they need that last piece of evidence, that's my theory. Praying it comes through this plea. The timing stinks with the Gabby Petito case exploding everywhere, so if you get a chance in the next few days, please do promote and share on your platforms if you can, so we can get some eyes on Amy.

Her family and her community need this so much.

I missed it I am hoping I can catch it streaming somehow.

I think they have a really good lead, but they need that last piece of evidence, that's my theory. Praying it comes through this plea. The timing stinks with the Gabby Petito case exploding everywhere, so if you get a chance in the next few days, please do promote and share on your platforms if you can, so we can get some eyes on Amy.

Her family and her community need this so much.

It should show-up here soon: https://www.nbc.com/dateline/episodes

Not able to access it. My internet provider doesn't provide access to this on whatever, etc.

Is there anything new?

ETA: Finally accessed it through Oxygen

First time LE has said a woman thinks she saw a girl like Amy with a man around the time she was missing at Westgate Mall, the place where Amy would have made the last phone call to her mother.

AFAIK, that's the first time LE has released that info publicly.

LE is giving a profile now

Planner, manipulative, able to interact socially, maybe charming.

Last edited:
LE is also giving credence to the reports from two girls who reported getting similar phone calls around the same year when Amy was abducted.

LE thinks the guy had done something similar before he kidnapped Amy. Could have been an attempt at a sexual relationship with a girl, etc.

The green quilt curtain. LE found hairs on the curtain from both Amy and their old dog Jake.

RPV7L4HB7RANFMJLZO6SMCMNTE.jpg

DSCN6114-1.jpg

Here's a map of a possible route from the location where Amy left Bay Square Shopping Center to Westgate Mall to the location where Amy was later found

Google Maps

Not able to access it. My internet provider doesn't provide access to this on whatever, etc.

Is there anything new?

ETA: Finally accessed it through Oxygen

First time LE has said a woman thinks she saw a girl like Amy with a man around the time she was missing at Westgate Mall, the place where Amy would have made the last phone call to her mother.

AFAIK, that's the first time LE has released that info publicly.

LE is giving a profile now

Planner, manipulative, able to interact socially, maybe charming.

Can you watch it off of this link? It is a rar file.

Dateline.NBC.2021.09.17.What.Happened.to.Amy.XviD-AFG.avi

I can't get it to play a preview but it is watchable if downloaded.

Last edited:
Can you watch it off of this link? It is a rar file.

Dateline.NBC.2021.09.17.What.Happened.to.Amy.XviD-AFG.avi

I can't get it to play a preview but it is watchable if downloaded.

Thanks. I was able to view it later through Oxygen, but your link can work for others.

It was very well made, wasn't it? It did have some new information. I really hope they find her killer.

He did put a lot of planning into the crime. It was such a brazen move to travel with Amy all the way from Westpark Mall to that remote county road near Ashland, OH. Unless he took a lot of side streets, he had to travel some roads that would have been very busy at that time of day.

It's been suggested over the years that he took her someplace closer to the Cleveland area before dumping her body out near Ashland. It would have been difficult to control Amy for such a long time as he drove out there.

One thing about the curtain that stands out to me is how long it is. It looks like it was sewn to be used over a tall window or doorway. The fabric lining it is like a crude, loose weave fabric, almost like burlap.

I've been watching this case for years, but I don't have cable and can't access the show. What's new in the case? Do they finally have a suspect?

I've been watching this case for years, but I don't have cable and can't access the show. What's new in the case? Do they finally have a suspect?
No, they just want tips about the curtain.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AppalachianGirl
Back