OH OH - Amy Mihaljevic, 10, Bay Village, 27 Oct 1989

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Tragedy. Such a shame her killer has not been brought to justice. Is it possible he is still out doing the same thing in OH?

Article written in Oct 2012 about how a red carpet fiber found on Amy's body may hold some clues as to who did this to her. Also talks about some trophies the killer took from Amy's body, such as her boots, earrings and notebook. Sounds like they still believe her killer is lurking in NE Ohio, and want the public to keep their eyes out. Are there any cases where a killer took odd trophies similar to this from their victims, that occurred in a similar time frame and area? http://www.wkyc.com/rss/article/264...the-case-of-Amy-Mihaljevic-twenty-years-later

For some reason this case was brought up in a discussion I had yesterday at a pool outing. We did some googling and I came across an interesting blog... www.amymihaljevic.blogspot.com I remember this case from back in the day I lived in one city over it was big news I still can't believe it was never solved.

Do you think they made a record of all of the sex offenders in that area at the time Amy went missing? Or maybe even recently paroled sex offenders? I'm open to the possibility that somebody who wasn't registered as a sex offender abducted her as well, I'm just wondering if the police looked into it. I know that James Renner has a website dedicated to solving Amy's murder and on his top list of suspects is Dean Runkle. Not only does Dean Runkle have the most connection to Amy before the time of her death, the prime suspect poster in after Amy went missing resembles Dean Runkle almost to a tee. Apparently there are a lot of suspects but to date Dean Runkle is the strongest. I really wish there were more to go on in this case but we have to work with what we have. I haven't lost hope that Amy's killer will be found one day.

That is unique lure, "Your mother got a promotion! Let's go buy her a gift!" (Very cruel.)

But, it might explain the disappearance of some children who normally would not go with a stranger. It implies that the mother would give permission for the child to associate with the stranger (or, more likely, acquaintance) because the stranger/acquaintance is close enough to the mother to buy a present for her. Since children only receive presents from people they know and (usually) care about; that makes the murderer seem like a person they ought to be able to trust.

I hope Ohio has the death penalty available for this person when he is finally caught.

ETA: It makes me think about my cousin... did her murderer tell her that her mother needed her? She would have gone with him if she thought her mother needed her. (cries for Amy and Kathy)

We lived in Bay Village for several years, moved there not long after the kidnapping. A couple of people I knew in town talked of a suspicious vehicle and man lurking in the area in the days before the kidnapping. The information was given to LE, but they didn't follow up. The consensus among many in town was that BV LE focused early on a suspect to the exclusion of all others. They didn't fully investigate other leads and suspects until much later, after their first suspect either didn't pan out or committed suicide. The chief at that time was a somewhat prideful man and didn't want to accept he might have been wrong. The investigation lost a lot of momentum after that.

This was and still is a case where LE shared very, very little information from the public at that time. Though they circulated the flyer with the sketch of the suspect, they were not very engaged with the public on the investigation.

These were just the opinions of the locals. I didn't follow it closely then. IMO, LE feels very defensive about this case and may have missed some opportunities or feel it was the perp who committed suicide.

On edit: After watching the latest video above, I'm not sure I agree with their profile. They describe the person as probably being unstable, not able to hold a job, no friends, etc. That doesn't seem accurate. The crime was well planned by someone very familiar with the community and the people who lived there. They were likely someone who actually fit in pretty well, obviously they didn't attract attention by the witnesses at the shopping center.

BV has always wanted to believe the perp was some crazed person who came in from elsewhere (the big city) to commit this crime. That's just the way the community is. But I think the investigation was hampered by their inability to accept that the perp was likely someone from the community or closely associated with it.

Phil Torsney originally worked on the case at the time, later went on to resolve some very difficult cases, including the tracking and discovery of Whitey Bulger.

He recently retired, but has been hired by Cuyahoga County prosecutor Tim McGinty to investigate Amy's case.

In other recent news, Lt. Spaetzel, who first handled Amy's case, has been appointed Chief of Police in Bay Village - sounds like a good team.

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2013/11/post_1.html#comments

A jogger discovered Amy's body months after she disappeared not far off County Road 1181, a spot that Torsney still believes is significant.

"It really hits hard as to why that actually spot was picked," he said. "There still may be something there."

Im so happy there are so many cases being reopened this year!

Sad, depressing, infuriating.

Here's a video of the Crimestoppers broadcast: CS/CF Northeast Ohio - Amy Mihaljevic on Vimeo

Strange...He mentioned they couldn't find another case similar. As far as the victim receiving telephone calls. And yet in 1975 Christie lynn Mullins in Ohio received phone calls to meet at the mall/department store?

OH OH - Christie Lynn Mullins, 14, Murdered in Columbus, 1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

On Saturday August 23, 1975, Christie Lynn Mullins and a 14 year old girlfriend walked to the Woolco Department Store at Graceland Shopping Center on the north side of Columbus. They went to the shopping center around 1:30 p.m. after Christie’s girlfriend had received a telephone call from a man claiming to be a disc jockey from a local radio station.

The male caller said he was having a cheerleading contest at Graceland at 1:45 p.m. with a pass to the Ohio State Fair as a prize. The male caller told the girl to wait for him outside the Woolco Department Store.

Highway 71 connects columbus and Bay Village, alittle more than 2 hours apart. Not sure if this was the case in 1975 though. Maybe then they didnot connect for whatever reason.

He just mentioned fibers from a vehicle found on Amy goes back to 1975

Yes, while 71 doesn't actually go all the way to Bay Village, it goes to 480 and 90, so not hard to get to BV that way. Have you considered calling Phil Tornsey to point that out? I've talked to him personally about this case and he's welcoming of public tips. If you leave a message, he will call you back.

Here is the link to the actual FBI video. http://www.fbi.gov/news/videos/seeking-information-in-amy-mihaljevic-murder

amy-mihaljevic-desk-1989jpg-8cb3d91bfa531b87.jpg

FBI offers reward for information about Amy Mihaljevic's killer
By Patrick Cooley, Northeast Ohio Media Group
on March 13, 2014 at 12:49 PM

A turquoise horse earring, black boots, and leather binder were with Amy when she was abducted have never been found.

Friends told police she was last seen at the Bay Square Shopping Center in Bay Village. Police said she was lured there by a man who said he needed her help buying her mother a present for a recent promotion.
From the FBI website

Seeking Information in Murder of Amy Mihaljevic

03/12/2014

Mollie Halpern: The FBI is offering a reward of up to $25,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction of the person who abducted and killed 10-year-old Amy Mihaljevic.
Vicki Anderson: We want to know who did this to Amy. And we want to see them brought to justice.
Halpern: I’m Mollie Halpern, and this is Wanted by the FBI. In October of 1989, Amy met a man at a shopping center in Bay Village, Ohio—a suburb of Cleveland. The man, who was white, between the ages of 30 and 40, had called Amy a couple of weeks prior and promised to take her shopping for her mom. Special Agent Vicki Anderson…
Anderson: She had told her friends that this was a secret, that the man had indicated that she kept a better secret than her brother, so that’s why he was calling her.
Halpern: Months later, a jogger discovered Amy’s little body in a field in Ashland County, Ohio.
Anderson: She had been stabbed and had head trauma.
Halpern: A turquoise horse earring, black boots, and leather binder with Amy when she was abducted have never been found. For photos, visit www.fbi.gov. Report tips to your local FBI field office.
- Seeking Information poster: Amy Renee Mihaljevic

Strange...He mentioned they couldn't find another case similar. As far as the victim receiving telephone calls. And yet in 1975 Christie lynn Mullins in Ohio received phone calls to meet at the mall/department store?

OH OH - Christie Lynn Mullins, 14, Murdered in Columbus, 1975 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community
On Saturday August 23, 1975, Christie Lynn Mullins and a 14 year old girlfriend walked to the Woolco Department Store at Graceland Shopping Center on the north side of Columbus. They went to the shopping center around 1:30 p.m. after Christie’s girlfriend had received a telephone call from a man claiming to be a disc jockey from a local radio station.

The male caller said he was having a cheerleading contest at Graceland at 1:45 p.m. with a pass to the Ohio State Fair as a prize. The male caller told the girl to wait for him outside the Woolco Department Store.

Highway 71 connects columbus and Bay Village, alittle more than 2 hours apart. Not sure if this was the case in 1975 though. Maybe then they didnot connect for whatever reason.

He just mentioned fibers from a vehicle found on Amy goes back to 1975
It's hard to imagine the connection wasn't made, but I know that it happens. I'd say it's worth a call.

Yes, while 71 doesn't actually go all the way to Bay Village, it goes to 480 and 90, so not hard to get to BV that way. Have you considered calling Phil Tornsey to point that out? I've talked to him personally about this case and he's welcoming of public tips. If you leave a message, he will call you back.

Here is the link to the actual FBI video. http://www.fbi.gov/news/videos/seeking-information-in-amy-mihaljevic-murder

Thank you for the video....
If they are connected I would look for persons whom bought a new 75 in either 74 when they first went on sale, or early part of the actual year 75. I would check to see if any persons whom lived in or near the neighborhood of Christine and especially in the area where Amy was found.

He allowed the girl to call mom, to buy extra time. For some reason he may had been concerned that a missing child report would be issue to LEOs and they may be on the look out for her with a description. This bought him more time in travel and not have to worry about being watched or spotted. About 50 miles away where she was found. That was his distant-nation and probably lived lives in that area where she was found. Wanted to make his way there without being notice. He probably keep her until after dark and than put her where she was found. Didn't care about hiding her so the field was as good as any other. Probably didn't travel far from the place she was killed to the place she was found. Just wanted to get rid of her.

If they still have Christine clothing, its a very long shot, but perhaps a fiber from the vehicle found on Amy may have found its way onto her some how from the killer. Though A very long shot indeed.

And that composite for Amy. The hair looks more like a toupee hiding a bald spot. Like to see a composite with a bald spot.

And to answer your question about calling. I am not comfortable in calling LEOs directly. I rather just post.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mouthbreather09
Back