OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 Apr 2006 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been thinking about this case a lot again lately and I believe that no matter what - if / when the case is solved, there will still be unanswered questions due to how unusual this case is.

If he’s alive, it will be “How did he manage to avoid being caught on camera everywhere?”

or “How did he do it with so many people looking for him?”

Or, if God forbid, he is dead and his remains are found - it will be “Why was his cell phone pinging?”
Etc.

With that said, I’ve said before and I’ll say again that I believe some sort of misadventure took place here.

When I think about the fact that

-Brian seemed to like to party, and had previously gotten separated from his friends while on a trip and needed help getting re-connected with them again (Per Kelly)
-First night of spring break, apparently exhausted from a week of hard studying
-Hitting on girls and getting their number despite having a girlfriend
-Setting up another party with his friends

All of this, to me, sounds like a guy who wants to let loose and have fun and possibly went a little too far.

New billboards have been put up in various locations around
Columbus reminding people that the anniversary of Brian's disappearance is approaching. This has just been in the past few days. Not sure who funded them but a good reminder that he hasn't been forgotten.

Human remains found in Colombus by a litter picker. Seems to be closer to where Tyler Davis went missing than Brian. Would be quite something that just after putting up new billboards that they find Brian!

Do you have a link?
If you're talking about the remains found in late February, they've already been identified as Michael Gholson, who went missing in August of last year.
Human remains found in south Columbus identified as man reported missing in August 2021

From link, thanks..
March 18 2022
''COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Columbus Division of Police is investigating after skeletal remains were found by someone picking up trash in northeast Columbus.

Police say the person was cleaning up litter along the 3000 block E. Dublin Granville Road on Thursday around 8 p.m. when they found the remains.

The circumstances surrounding the individual's death are unknown at this time, according to police. ''

Been thinking about this case a lot again lately and I believe that no matter what - if / when the case is solved, there will still be unanswered questions due to how unusual this case is.

If he’s alive, it will be “How did he manage to avoid being caught on camera everywhere?”

or “How did he do it with so many people looking for him?”

Or, if God forbid, he is dead and his remains are found - it will be “Why was his cell phone pinging?”
Etc.

With that said, I’ve said before and I’ll say again that I believe some sort of misadventure took place here.

When I think about the fact that

-Brian seemed to like to party, and had previously gotten separated from his friends while on a trip and needed help getting re-connected with them again (Per Kelly)
-First night of spring break, apparently exhausted from a week of hard studying
-Hitting on girls and getting their number despite having a girlfriend
-Setting up another party with his friends

All of this, to me, sounds like a guy who wants to let loose and have fun and possibly went a little too far.

I agree with you. When you look at the victimology and the circumstances, death by misadventure seems absolutely the most probable outcome. How all the elements lined up exactly right such that he wasn't seen on camera and his body hasn't been found is indeed a mystery though. No one theory satisfies all the elements of what we think we know. Which means one of those things we assume are true are very likely wrong, and which of those elements we each believe are absolute shapes the theory that each of us personally holds, which is why there are so many different theories.

For example, I believe it's possible that he did leave the area without being seen on camera which creates almost infinite possibilities. Others don't and firmly believe he is on premises, entombed somewhere.

I am not hopeful that after all this time, we will ever get answers, but you never know!

I agree with you. When you look at the victimology and the circumstances, death by misadventure seems absolutely the most probable outcome. How all the elements lined up exactly right such that he wasn't seen on camera and his body hasn't been found is indeed a mystery though.

It really is.

Human remains found in Colombus by a litter picker. Seems to be closer to where Tyler Davis went missing than Brian. Would be quite something that just after putting up new billboards that they find Brian!

I just read through Tyler Davis' case. It's very sad, and I would lean toward him being found before Brian. :( I have more to say but will go to his thread. IMO.

I’m curious how many times searches have been done, particularly in the areas where these suspicious cell phone pings took place.

That is a good question, although my (albeit limited) understanding of the pings is that you wouldn't be able to narrow down a search area that way. I think the pings indicate an area with a pretty broad radius, rather than pinpoint an area.

That is a good question, although my (albeit limited) understanding of the pings is that you wouldn't be able to narrow down a search area that way. I think the pings indicate an area with a pretty broad radius, rather than pinpoint an area.

Looks like you’re right. A quick google search says that a phone can be up to 20 miles away when it pings to a tower.

I’m just wondering because in the case of Brandon Lawson, it again shows that often times people are found near their last known location despite previous searches.

What I wouldn’t do to know what Brian & Clint were arguing about at this time 16 years ago. And what Brian had planned for a few hours later, or beyond….

Impossible not to think of Derek, and Randy, and Renee on this day. It wouldn’t be the first time a case was solved a decade plus later, but it seems the only possible hope is a guilty conscience somewhere in existence; Whoever they are, either evading a grand jury or a stranger who met Brian in south campus via happenstance. As much as I have openly (along with retired CPD) resisted the notion he’s entombed in the building, it’s truly the most logical explanation all this time later. You can’t create a roadmap to any outcome for Brian without proving there’s a trace of him leaving the building.

Here’s to another year of hope for answers, no matter your theory or conclusion. It is still as devastatingly mysterious and nonsensical as it was moments after that fateful night. Threads upon threads on Websleuths, Reddit, Facebook despite just a possible cell phone ping being the only breadcrumb in existence. It just makes no sense.

Last edited:
Impossible not to think of Derek, and Randy, and Renee on this day. It wouldn’t be the first time a case was solved a decade plus later, but it seems the only possible hope is a guilty conscience somewhere in existence; Whoever they are, either evading a grand jury or a stranger who met Brian in south campus via happenstance. As much as I have openly (along with retired CPD) resisted the notion he’s entombed in the building, it’s truly the most logical explanation all this time later. You can’t create a roadmap to any outcome for Brian without proving there’s a trace of him leaving the building.

People will blame the CCTV, citing reasons that it was 2006 and that you couldn’t possibly identify someone on “old grainy security footage”

but then they will go on to say with such certainty that what they observed via this same footage was that Brian dropped his phone into that girls purse. Crazy talk.

I am no expert, but I honestly think searches need to be done again. Handing out flyers, putting up billboards - that’s all great, but for the most part this case seems to have taken this defeated, reactive approach like they’re just waiting for someone to come forward and provide a tip or some kind of information that’s going to solve everything. But maybe nobody knows anything.

It's hard to imagine that BS had some sort of misadventure, and that no body ever turned up. Not beyond possibility, but hard to imagine.

I read that the building has been remodeled. To me that makes it less likley he's still in there buried in a wall or whatever.

I gotta wonder if there was some sort of garbage chute, going to a dumpster or compactor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08