OH OH - Brian Shaffer, 27, Columbus, 1 April 2006 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has nobody considered the possibility that someone could have spiked Brian's drink? I am not sure how drink spiking works however can they be time delayed?? For example is it possible to spike a drink at say 10pm and know that in approx 20 mins, the person will pass out?? If so and it was timed correctly then could that not be a possibility?

I think that could be a possibility but it would open up a whole new theory that he was drugged for a reason.

Has nobody considered the possibility that someone could have spiked Brian's drink? I am not sure how drink spiking works however can they be time delayed?? For example is it possible to spike a drink at say 10pm and know that in approx 20 mins, the person will pass out?? If so and it was timed correctly then could that not be a possibility?
Always possible, but as Tman stated, that would open up a whole new theory.. rbbm.
Drink Spiking at College May Be More Common Than Thought
''The incidence of spiked drinks among college students may be more common than anyone thought, a new study suggests.
Researchers who surveyed more than 6,000 students from three American universities found that nearly 8 percent said they thought they’d been slipped a doctored drink, while over 1 percent said they had sneaked one into someone else’s glass, according to the study published in Psychology of Violence.''

The researchers also asked people who drugged others about their motives. In nearly a third of cases the reason was to facilitate some sort of sexual assault, but there were other motives, including, for fun, for vengeance and to see what would happen.''

Watch how fast it happens in this very recent missing person (a man) case..
Ws thread..
Mexico - Mexico - Malcom Madsen, 68, Ontario snowbird, missing from Puerto Vallarta, 28 Oct 2018

Always possible, but as Tman stated, that would open up a whole new theory.. rbbm.
''The incidence of spiked drinks among college students may be more common than anyone thought, a new study suggests.
Researchers who surveyed more than 6,000 students from three American universities found that nearly 8 percent said they thought they’d been slipped a doctored drink, while over 1 percent said they had sneaked one into someone else’s glass, according to the study published in Psychology of Violence.''

The researchers also asked people who drugged others about their motives. In nearly a third of cases the reason was to facilitate some sort of sexual assault, but there were other motives, including, for fun, for vengeance and to see what would happen.''

Ws thread..
Mexico - Mexico - Malcom Madsen, 68, Ontario snowbird, missing from Puerto Vallarta, 28 Oct 2018
In college back in the early 80s we were upfront about the drink spiking. Before every party, we'd make koolaid, pour in plenty of everclear. Party attendees - sorority girls - knew full well the 'killer punch' had a punch. Life was way, way more carefree back then.

Ws thread..
v

I wouldn’t really put much faith in that study. Most people who partied in college have gone way overboard and forgotten how much they drank so they could just assume they were “drugged” not believing they could put down that much alcohol.

v

I wouldn’t really put much faith in that study. Most people who partied in college have gone way overboard and forgotten how much they drank so they could just assume they were “drugged” not believing they could put down that much alcohol.
Even if Brian's drink was spiked, that wouldn't explain his disappearance.

Keep in mind that on the CCTV footage of Brian minutes before he disappeared, he appears to be in control of his movements, actively engaged in conversation, and aware of his surroundings. Brightan, who was the last person to speak with him, said he did not seem drunk.

Has nobody considered the possibility that someone could have spiked Brian's drink?

It's certainly a possibility. I work in healthcare in a fairly large city like Columbus, and while it's not a weekly occurrence, it's not uncommon to see college students in the emergency dept who claim to have been drugged.

claim is the important word there. College students are the last ones to really correctly estimate exactly how much they really drank.

I was referring to spikes -- hard drugs and/or sedatives -- rather than alcohol (which are picked up by a toxicology screen and some additional lab work at the hospital).
I agree that college students are notoriously bad at estimating their own consumption; however, seeing ketamine or other "date rape" drugs on a toxicology report always turns some heads. They are not drugs that people often take for leisure.

Last edited:
When are we getting the rest of that podcast that was delayed because of a potential tv deal.
Maybe the podcast got Covid. You know I'm just kidding.
I guess my sense of humor has wandered over to the dark side.... must be the pandemic, all the social unrest and other BS that's going on. Sorry.

I just hope Kelly's ok, as I hope everyone else is here.

Maybe the podcast got Covid. You know I'm just kidding.
I guess my sense of humor has wandered over to the dark side.... must be the pandemic, all the social unrest and other BS that's going on. Sorry.

I just hope Kelly's ok, as I hope everyone else is here.
I think they just needed to reschedule

Hey everyone. I’m doing ok. I’ve been busy researching a new sighting as well as dealing with a crazy “Brian case fanatic” resurfacing and stalking me and all my social media and emails. I’m still working on things and will be doing a podcast soon. After the delay while waiting for Oxygen to take over the case, I decided to partner with my friends at True Crime Junkies. We are revamping things and doing interviews for the podcast. I’m not going to give you a time frame on the episodes yet, because we are focusing our attention on the most recent Brian sighting. As soon as I know more, I will post. I’m going to try to go back and catch up on any questions I may be able to answer. I hope everyone is doing well.

So after reviewing the Podcasts sessions with Det Hurst I began to hear a couple things that I just can’t get past.

The Emergency Exit door inside the bar...Det Hurst discusses these doors in both Podcasts.

These doors lead from the second floor inside the bar and then downstairs to outside the building on ground level, basically right outside where you would enter the building and go up the escalator toward the bar.

These doors are supposed to sound when someone exits but apparently they do not, from what I read or heard. There is also a camera which is supposed to have an Auto Focus feature on it that pans to the door when it opens.

Det. Hurst states in both podcasts that this feature was disabled or overridden by an employee for whatever reason and it was operating on manual.

Now he also states in one podcast that CPD spoke with the UTS staff who stated that they had security at the door watching and nobody went up or down.

He also states on one of the podcasts that security monitoring the cameras, stated that “to the best of their knowledge” no one exited. To me thats an interesting phrase because it leaves room for possible error.

But for me the biggest statement he makes about that door is that while the camera was on manual control, that “it appeared at one point to want to pan and focus on something however it didn’t actually do it because it was overridden.”

For me, the time frame for this happening is absolutely critical because if it happened after 1:59am when Brian was last seen and could have been in the bar, then its very possible it could have been Brian.

Im not saying security did it on purpose, but Im questioning why would the camera attempt to pan unless someone was exiting those doors? It says to me someone left and the time of when they left is critical because if everyone else was accounted for as leaving by CPD, then that could be the 1 who wasn’t...which is Brian.

Id love to know what time that occurred.

In the E-news special a detective says its not possible that Brian went out the emergency exit because of the Auto Pan feature which would focus on whoever left...however we know thats not factually correct seeing as Det Hurst states in both Podcasts that the Auto Feature on the door was on manual and not working for whatever reason...they contradicted each other.
I will check the time for you. The panning override was hit by an employee of the Gateway Security team. The employee did it so he could control the camera himself. He was using the camera to check out girls.

After listening to the podcasts Ive come to the opinion that Brian left the bar and the building entirely. I do not think he is there. Hurst said the construction area was treacherous and dug up, but he also said at the very beginning of the disappearance that the resources they used were tremendous searching. He said they even had horse back officers looking. I have to take him at his word when he says they searched that entire building top to bottom, even taking doors off maintenance rooms and closets. Anything is possible, I just feel it’s very unlikely now that he died in there and is still there.

Det Hurst also says on podcast “its a possibility” that Brian could have exited from the first floor out any of the businesses front doors at the time as well because the businesses all left their doors open, and wasnt caught on camera. Im not sure how plausible that is, but he’s admitted its possible.

And I completely agree with you @MerryB about the relationship and possible reason why Clint didnt want to answer questions. I do not feel he had anything to do with it, I do feel he got nervous because they had an argument that night and in the past, and things would have come out where LE could look his way.

With everything I am reading and hearing, In my opinion Brian made it out, and something happened like you said, either at or near Wendys or on the way home. But its just my opinion. I think he is in that area still within range of the pings on his cellphone.

Question, was the phone still going to voice mail Monday evening when CPD started pinging it? Or was it ringing as well?

It was still going to Voicemail.

Hey everyone. I’m doing ok. I’ve been busy researching a new sighting as well as dealing with a crazy “Brian case fanatic” resurfacing and stalking me and all my social media and emails. I’m still working on things and will be doing a podcast soon. After the delay while waiting for Oxygen to take over the case, I decided to partner with my friends at True Crime Junkies. We are revamping things and doing interviews for the podcast. I’m not going to give you a time frame on the episodes yet, because we are focusing our attention on the most recent Brian sighting. As soon as I know more, I will post. I’m going to try to go back and catch up on any questions I may be able to answer. I hope everyone is doing well.
Appreciate you stopping by and weighing in, and providing an update . :) Glad to know you’re doing ok these days. Stay safe.

Thank you, Kelly. I’m looking forward to your new podcast with True Crime Junkies and hearing about the latest potential sighting of Brian in Puerto Vallarta!

Are you, or anyone else who is familiar, able to share details regarding the potential new sighting? This is the first I've heard of it. Fingers crossed!

Are you, or anyone else who is familiar, able to share details regarding the potential new sighting? This is the first I've heard of it. Fingers crossed!
the information that has been released on social media is as much as I know. I did talk to the tipster and encouraged him to turn the tip into CPD, which he did. I also put the tipster in contact with John Hurst. I’m hoping to know more soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member