OH - Christie Mullins, 14, Columbus, 23 Aug 1975 *killer died*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for your encouragement and compliments. A few points: yes, I did try to shop the article to local media, there were no takers. Partly this was due to the length, partly due to established media being unwilling to take on such a controversial subject that reflects poorly on the local powers that be (the trial prosecutor in the Carmen trial is still county prosecutor, and is popular and a Republican in a town and state controlled by republicans).
Notwithstanding, Columbus Cold Case did agree to reopen the case last May and assigned a detective to reinvestigate. he's done a good job so far and interviewed a bunch of the same people I did. (and some who wouldn't talk to me). My concern is that his superiors, who didn't really want to reopen the case but did so as a result of public pressure, will not be willing to let the whole truth come out. We'll see . . .
I made a prior FOIA request which was summarily denied on the grounds that the case remains "open". But realistically, if there was anything in the file showing that Junior Newell was favored because he was a CI, it has long ago been expunged from the file.

The family now has a pretty clear idea of who did it. As to why, and whether there were accomplices, we may never know unless the "Lisa" in the article finally comes forward and tells the truth. There is no indication thus far that she will.

I'm trying to post the original Columbus Monthly article on the trial, as the link is broken. See if this works.

I think the police thought the mentally impaired man did it and just directed their efforts toward him. I'm sure some officers HAD to be bright enough to see he was innocent, but the damage was done to the investigation.

Rich Kelly brings out an excellent point... why no tracing of the calls since that is a big part of the tale Carol told.

Now that I've learned Christy had zero interest in cheer, I see zero reason for a contest to lure her anywhere. Even if first prize was a date with Donny Osmond... she know she wouldn't win anyway. And if the prize was anything good at all, it would've been advertised over the radio and with signs at Woolco and in the paper. whatever lure they used on her, it was something totally different.

Also, was she not bound with phone cord? In the 70s, that stuff wasn't as easily available as it became later. Not that many people had extra. Except this Newell character did.

Christie was bound with telephone cord. I do remember that a different kind of telephone cord was used on home phones during that era.

The type of telephone cord used in home telephones back in the 1970's were the kind that was permanently fixed by the telephone company from the telephone jack to the back of the telephone.

It wasn't until the early 1980's that removable telephone cords became available for home telephones or that telephone cords and telephones were sold in department stores.

Also if a radio station did have a cheerleading contest as Carol had claimed, not only would it have been advertised by the radio station, FCC regulations also required the radio station to maintain records (contest dates, type of contest, prizes, sponsors, contest winners, etc.) regarding any contest sponsored by a radio station. It would have been real easy for the police to find out if any radio stations in the Columbus area had a cheerleading contest.

Christie was bound with telephone cord. I do remember that a different kind of telephone cord was used on home phones during that era.

The type of telephone cord used in home telephones back in the 1970's were the kind that was permanently fixed by the telephone company from the telephone jack to the back of the telephone.

It wasn't until the early 1980's that removable telephone cords became available for home telephones or that telephone cords and telephones were sold in department stores.

Also if a radio station did have a cheerleading contest as Carol had claimed, not only would it have been advertised by the radio station, FCC regulations also required the radio station to maintain records (contest dates, type of contest, prizes, sponsors, contest winners, etc.) regarding any contest sponsored by a radio station. It would have been real easy for the police to find out if any radio stations in the Columbus area had a cheerleading contest.

Nerosleuth, excellent point about FCC regulations and the alleged cheering contest. Even if Carol pretended not to recall which radio station supposedly called her, there would only be so many stations broadcasting in the Columbus area. It would be possible for the police to check all of them with just a few phone calls.

It is very strange that seemingly no effort was made to verify Carol's tale of phone calls and a cheering contest. If it had been proven at the time that what we suspect is true I wonder how that would've change the trial? Would it even be worthwhile to have Carol testify under those circumstances?

They did start to have another type of cord in the later 70s, I think. But, I believe people just got enough for their phone. So, few people would choose to disconnect their phone by cutting the cords. Newell would be one of the few who had extra phone cord for whatever odd reason. By this unusual item being used, it seems like the police would've wondered about the significance of it.

I spent much of yesterday reading this thread and Nycsleuth's book on Christie. What happened to Christie is terrible and I feel so sad that Christie will never truly get the justice she so badly deserves.

I believe that Henry Newell was very likely responsible but he, unlike Christie, has had the freedom to live his life as he has wished. With his death last year he will now never be denied what Christie was denied; the opportunity to live.

With no confessions and no new evidence I suspect that the only way this case will ever be considered 'solved' at this point is if the girl who was with Christie that day decides to reveal what happened. For whatever reason she still appears unwilling to do so.

What a tragic to end to all of Christie's potential.

sorry, perhaps this has been discussed, but do people know the whereabouts of said girl that was with christie? is she a local?

all i can say is that i hope both this accomplice girl and the killer lived in fear of getting caught, every day of their horrible lives.

sorry, perhaps this has been discussed, but do people know the whereabouts of said girl that was with christie? is she a local?

all i can say is that i hope both this accomplice girl and the killer lived in fear of getting caught, every day of their horrible lives.

Yes, her whereabouts is known and she is a local.

The first photo was taken in August 2014. This is the area behind where Woolco used to be at Graceland Shopping Center.

In the August 2014 photo, you can see the baseball field and the soccer field which is now Kenney Park.

The baseball field and the soccer field did not exist at all behind Woolco in August 1975. That area was a very dense wooded area behind Woolco back then.

The wooded area behind the baseball field is the area where Christie Lynn Mullins was murdered in August 1975.

Look at how dense the wooded area is behind the baseball field. That will give everyone an idea of how dense the wooded area behind Woolco was back in August 1975.

The second photo is a daytime photo taken in August 2014 at the entrance to Kenney Park behind where Woolco used to be. This is where the second candle light vigil for Christie Lynn Mullins took place at Graceland on August 23, 2014.

Attachments

• Field Behind Woolco August 2014.jpg
    Field Behind Woolco August 2014.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 55
  • Christie's Second Vigil.jpg
    Christie's Second Vigil.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 50
Here are three photos of the swimming pools at the Broadmeadows Apartment complex on Broadmeadows Boulevard. The apartment complex had two swimming pools.

The first photo was taken by Nycsleuth in November 2013. This is the larger swimming pool that can be seen from Broadmeadows Boulevard. This is the swimming pool where Christie Lynn Mullins was last seen prior to her murder on August 23, 1975.

The second photo was also taken by Nycsleuth in November 2013 and the third photo was taken by Nerosleuth in August 2014. This is the smaller swimming pool that is behind the party house. The smaller pool can’t be seen from Broadmeadows Boulevard.

As you can see in the third photo, the smaller swimming pool has been filled and is no longer used. The smaller swimming pool is the swimming pool where Henry shared a nude midnight swim with underage Carol.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Broadmeadows Pool August 2014.jpg
    Broadmeadows Pool August 2014.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 74
Nerosleuth, excellent point about FCC regulations and the alleged cheering contest. Even if Carol pretended not to recall which radio station supposedly called her, there would only be so many stations broadcasting in the Columbus area. It would be possible for the police to check all of them with just a few phone calls.

It is very strange that seemingly no effort was made to verify Carol's tale of phone calls and a cheering contest. If it had been proven at the time that what we suspect is true I wonder how that would've change the trial? Would it even be worthwhile to have Carol testify under those circumstances?
At the time people probably would have had no reason to doubt her story about receiving a call; even if there hadn't been a cheerleading competition run by a radio station that day, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have been a prank call of some kind, or even a call from the murderer. Why would a 14 year old girl have made something so seemingly small up? And why bother to look into it when you have an eyewitness and a murderer who has confessed to being guilty?

The jury trial didn't happen until two and a half years after the murder. I don't know how long phone records would have been kept in the 1970s but possibly it was too late to check and the police and prosecutors were still insistent that they knew who the murderer was.

Of course we can now see a motive for Christie's friend to make up the story about the cheerleading competition but at the time it's easy to understand (although by no means justifiable) why nobody looked into it.

Interesting case. So from what I've managed to glean from this thread, it would appear that the guy who 'found' Christie's body is a decent bet for her murderer? It does seem quite unlikely that the murderer would commit the crime and then drag his family out into the woods so they could find the body, rather than just keeping a low profile, but I guess it takes all sorts. Also, did the family corroborate the sighting of the man in the woods allegedly beating something?

Believe me there is nothing any murderer or suspect does that would surprise me any more. Very interesting case.

WOW!

I have not even fished reading all the twists and turns of this case! But my first thought is that the DJ caller, could be the killer. Was this call traced? Was he really a DJ? Was there really a contest? It seems that this would be the kind of stunt that some pedophile could use to get a girl alone. I wonder if Christie told her parents about this call. This would send huge red flags for me!

Satch

PS. I wonder about Henry as well. What evidence leads you to believe that he either is, or is not involved?

WOW!

I have not even fished reading all the twists and turns of this case! But my first thought is that the DJ caller, could be the killer. Was this call traced? Was he really a DJ? Was there really a contest? It seems that this would be the kind of stunt that some pedophile could use to get a girl alone. I wonder if Christie told her parents about this call. This would send huge red flags for me!

Satch

PS. I wonder about Henry as well. What evidence leads you to believe that he either is, or is not involved?

I don't believe there ever was a phone call from a DJ or that there ever was a cheerleading contest in the first place. I don't think there was any trace of the telephone calls ever done.

During the late 1960's when Henry committed and was convicted of arson, his M.O. was to give authorities a physical description of someone else committing the crime when Henry had actually committed the crime.

Then in 1975, you have Henry who told police that he took his family for a nature walk in the woods and Henry allegedly sighted from a distance a man that appeared to be beating Christie Lynn Mullins in the woods.

The detailed description that Henry gave police of the suspect who was allegedly beating Christie Lynn Mullins in the woods happened to fit the mentally challenged man to a tee.

If you think about it, most folks that witness a crime or have a crime happen to them don’t often provide police a very detailed description of a suspect as the crime happens so fast before their eyes.

Looks like the "witness" met his maker, and maybe Christie too.

Henry Newell Jr left this earth Tuesday, September 17, 2013. Age 63. Family will receive friends Saturday 3-5 pm at the TIDD FUNERAL HOME with CREMATORY, 5265 Norwich St., Hilliard, OH 43026.

I don't think he met Christie. She wouldn't be in hell. Newell confessed to his niece that he killed her. Came out in Columbus Dispatch last summer.

This looks like a case for Cold Justice.

I want to know also if the family witnessed it too. Seems strange he would take them for a "nature" walk in a small area of trees.
Plus if he lived right behind the area, why would they need to go walking there, wouldnt they know the area
I think he had time to kill her and then go back home and get the family and conveniantly find the body. thats IF the family even saw anything and not just going along with his story coz he convinced them he would look bad

At the time people probably would have had no reason to doubt her story about receiving a call; even if there hadn't been a cheerleading competition run by a radio station that day, it doesn't mean that it couldn't have been a prank call of some kind, or even a call from the murderer. Why would a 14 year old girl have made something so seemingly small up? And why bother to look into it when you have an eyewitness and a murderer who has confessed to being guilty?

The jury trial didn't happen until two and a half years after the murder. I don't know how long phone records would have been kept in the 1970s but possibly it was too late to check and the police and prosecutors were still insistent that they knew who the murderer was.

Of course we can now see a motive for Christie's friend to make up the story about the cheerleading competition but at the time it's easy to understand (although by no means justifiable) why nobody looked into it.

It should have been done as soon as Carol told that story. First, by the police then by the newspapers that printed stories about the crime. The reason? Because people at Woolco did not confirm there was a contest (because there wasn't). Step one is to find out was there any cheer leading contest at all... ten phone calls at most. After discovering there wasn't, Step 2 is to get the phone records (Step 2 is only for police, papers would just say there was no such contest so iylt is not know who allegedly phone) and try to find out who called because, while it could be a prank, it could be the murderer. Even with an "eye witness", etc. It is a huge failure no one did this.

I believe phone records were kept quite a while, but this should have been done long before the trial. I can see them believing Carol, but if they'd checked out this easily-checked-out call, then they would have known they should not.

I do not, for the record, think there was any call. But, I could be wrong, so I would research it if I could. This is how police investigating a murder should deal with info and it's how reporters should deal with info. People trying or defending a murder case should, too.

My phone has made this hard to types..I am really just trying to explain what I meant. I am not trying to be rude and I can't edit! Lol

The "nature walk" was his alibi. He couldn't be sure no one saw him behind Woolco, so he gave a reason for being there. This also let him try to pin the murder on someone else.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double
Back