Resolved OH - Columbus, WhtMale Unkage, banks of Scioto River, I-270 & US 23, Apr'21 - Name withheld

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Valiant

Reaction score
6'2, 157 lbs, white male
Long-sleeved shirt, t-shirt, two pairs of pants and a pair of boots, found April 16, 2021.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I'm not sure of the exact location found, because neither I-70 or I-71 would have a mile marker 51 in Franklin County, Ohio. It must be some other state road.

Body found along bank of Scioto River in South Columbus..

"Columbus Police are investigating after a body was found along the banks of the Scioto River Friday evening in South Columbus. People walking along the river found the body in the area of I-270 and US 23 around 6:30 p.m. Friday. Columbus Fire said the body appears to have been deceased for a long period of time."

?
5266DMOH - Brian Randall Shaffer
Name:
Brian Randall Shaffer
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 01, 2006 UID found April 2021, PMI unknown, remains been there for a long period of time.
Location Last Seen: Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio UID found Columbus, Ohio
Race: White UID white
Height: 6'2" UID 6'2 measured
Weight: 160 - 165 lbs. UID 157 lbs measured
Hair Color: (light) Brown UID Red/auburn
Eye Color: Hazel UID unknown
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available
White long sleeve shirt with light olive green short sleeve polo shirt on top of it, dark blue jeans white "Adidas" athletic shoes, none UID long sleeve shirt, t-shirt...2 pairs of pants, boots

Brian+Shaffer+missing

?
5266DMOH - Brian Randall Shaffer
Name:
Brian Randall Shaffer
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: April 01, 2006 UID found April 2021, PMI unknown, remains been there for a long period of time.
Location Last Seen: Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio UID found Columbus, Ohio
Race: White UID white
Height: 6'2" UID 6'2 measured
Weight: 160 - 165 lbs. UID 157 lbs measured
Hair Color: (light) Brown UID Red/auburn
Eye Color: Hazel UID unknown
Dentals: Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available
White long sleeve shirt with light olive green short sleeve polo shirt on top of it, dark blue jeans white "Adidas" athletic shoes, none UID long sleeve shirt, t-shirt...2 pairs of pants, boots

Brian+Shaffer+missing

IMO, Seems possible. Not everything matches up (hair color, footwear), but enough does that they should rule him out. Interesting that both were wearing 2 shirts, same height. Comparison of dentals might not take very long?

I don't think the timing matches up for this to be Brian Shaffer.

No PMI estimate for the UID but NamUs does say "all parts recovered" (ie. not scattered by weather or animals, despite not being buried) and "decomposing/putrefaction" rather than skeletal. Sounds like he was there for months, not years.

And I doubt that Brian was still alive 14+ years after his disappearance as he left behind his car and possessions and never touched his bank accounts.

Body found along bank of Scioto River in South Columbus..

"Columbus Police are investigating after a body was found along the banks of the Scioto River Friday evening in South Columbus. People walking along the river found the body in the area of I-270 and US 23 around 6:30 p.m. Friday. Columbus Fire said the body appears to have been deceased for a long period of time."
Now the mile marker makes sense. Mile marker 53 on I-270 would be in that area.

No PMI estimate for the UID but NamUs does say "all parts recovered" (ie. not scattered by weather or animals, despite not being buried) and "decomposing/putrefaction" rather than skeletal. Sounds like he was there for months, not years.

And I doubt that Brian was still alive 14+ years after his disappearance as he left behind his car and possessions and never touched his bank accounts.

Alas, it sounds like you are probably right.

Makes sense.

Ok, based on the condition of the remains is it an idea to narrow the search for missing persons down, approx. 6 months back in time for now. Missing since the fall of 2020 and earlier. Other ideas?

The two pants suggests the weather was colder when he passed, but he was only wearing two T-shirts so that's an inconsistency. He could also have been a drifter and wearing two pants just for convenience while traveling. He might have owned a coat which was left in a car/truck he took a ride with....

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) Robert James Allard Knowles, missing since September 16, 2020 from Wallace, South Carolina. An approx. 8 hours drive.

6' 1" - 6' 3" (73 - 75 Inches)
Weight 160 lbs

Strawberry blond, reddish beard.

Mr. Knowles was last seen on Ebenezer Road in Wallace, South Carolina. Knowles was last seen around 09/16/2020 . Wasn't reported missing until 11/23/2020. Knowles had no electronic devices, social media, transportation or banking info. Unemployed at the time of disappearance.

ac283ec8-12fa-407f-b454-9022dfe4c987-large16x9_missingman3.jpg

Deputies continue search for a missing Marlboro County man

It's quite possible with someone near the intersection of US Rt23 and I-285 (on the south side of Columbus, not the more populated north side) that they could have been hitchhiking. Mile marker 53 would put him near the river but also near the western ramps between 23 and 270. The 23/270 interchange is exits 52A, 52B) and mile market 53 falls at the end of the ramps.

This is my first time trying to do this (suggest a match) so I hope I have everything required to post? He was last seen about 5 hrs away from where the body was located. I tried to do some msm digging to see if he had any connections to the area. Not a lot out there, other than saying he was severely depressed.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Richard Timothy Honaker, Male, White / Caucasian
Date of Last ContactMarch 12, 2021
Missing FromRichlands, Virginia
Missing Age36 Years
Current Age36 Years
First Name Richard
Middle NameTimothy
Last NameHonaker
SexMale
Height6' 0" (72 Inches)
Weight150 - 160 lbs
Race / EthnicityWhite / Caucasian

Physical Description
Hair ColorRed/Auburn
Head Hair Descriptionshaved
Body Hair Descriptionleg, chest, arm
Facial Hair Descriptionred, facial hair, mustache, beard
Left Eye ColorBlue
Right Eye ColorBlue
Eye Description

Circumstances
Date of Last ContactMarch 12, 2021
NamUs Case CreatedMarch 24, 2021
Last Known Location Map
LocationRichlands, Virginia 24641

Clothing and Accessories
Item
Description
Clothing
White T-Shirt Carhartt Coat Jeans or Camo pants Work boots or muck boots Camo ball cap

Other
wallet has EPI payment card, ID,

Circumstances of DisappearanceRichard was last seen in the area of Peregrine Court in Richlands, Virginia. Richard has a shaved head, sleeve tattoos on both arms, a full neck tattoo. He was last seen wearing a white t-shirt, camo or brown Carhartt coat, camo boots, and he was carrying a black plaid backpack. Richard is also known to visit the areas of Buchanan, Virginia, Kingsport Tennessee, and the Cherokee National Forest.

STILL MISSING: Richard Timothy Honaker

Franklin County Sheriff's Office looking to identify man's body found near Scioto River in April | 10tv.com

The Franklin County Sheriff's Department has asked for the public’s help in identifying a man’s body that was found along the banks of the Scioto River in South Columbus in April.

Snipped......

Authorities determined that the man's body had been in the water for several months. The body did not have any identification on him due to decomposition. He has still not been identified and deputies say the circumstances around the death are suspicious.

The body was described as a white man, about 6-foot 1 inch tall, weighing 153 pounds with blonde or light brown shoulder-length hair pulled into a bun. He doesn't have any tattoos or known scars.

The body was found in a long-sleeved shirt with a t-shirt underneath that said, "Sarcasm, just one of my talents."

The man was dressed in blue jeans and was wearing 'square, safety-toe, size 12 cowboy-type boots,' deputies said.

The Franklin County Sheriff's Office is working with the Franklin County Coroner's Office and Bureau of Criminal Investigation using DNA to identify the man. Detectives believe this man may have been homeless.

Thank you. The Namus file is somewhat altered now. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

First there was a description him wearing two pants...now it only one, blue jeans. Also in the Namus file his hair is described as red/auburn, while in the above clipping it's described as blond/light brown hair.....so what is the most accurate description? I wonder why the detectives think he might have been homeless. In the beginning the description of the two pants made me think so too, as a possible, but now it's a different story. Is this an area with homeless camps? did people came forward seeing him around and he gave that impression? Did they find some kind of a camp? Homeless people tend to carry all their scarce belongings with them, where are they? Maybe it's only a word. I think in this case he was more like a drifter.

What is the difference between "drifter" and "homeless" ? "drifter" vs "homeless" ? What is the difference between a homeless person and a drifter? (Note, this are not my answers, but I guess you get the point)

Usually, a drifter means a person who moves from city to city aimlessly. They are probably homeless too, but maybe not.

A homeless person is just someone who doesn't have a home. They might live on the street, or they might not. There is a concept of "invisible homelessness". These are people who might live in their car or on a friend's couch.

A drifter chooses to live a life living place to place job to job. with no direction.
homeless is usually without a choice.

Last edited:
The John Doe had shoulder length hair possibly pulled to a bunch according to latest namus. That may rule out many possibles.

I think the length of the hair....is not a big thing....you can cut it and it grows back ....Tyler could have grown it or whatever...Birthmark on his upper arm, chest, and neck...due to decomposition couldn't have noticed anymore,,,,Somehow I don't think it's a match but I could be wrong.....(as always)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back