Identified! OH - Eaton, Wht 30-50, UP55702, fingers hooked in small tree, May '68 - Albert Allen Frost

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Forensic scientists and Shelby, Ohio law enforcement are seeking the public’s help in identifying a woman whose bones were discovered in Preble County five decades ago.
DNA extracted from Penny’s bones will be sequenced out by a number of different labs, according to Connelly, hopefully resulting in a genetic profile within the next couple of months that could lead to her finally being identified via genetic genealogy, a process by which DNA can be compared to that of relatives of known missing persons, as well as against profiles submitted to genealogy websites like MyHeritage and Ancestry.com.

But, that process costs money.

“We basically put a cry out to the public saying, ‘We need help,’” Connelly said. About $1,700 of the Penny Doe (G0FvndM3) campaign’s $5,500 goal has been raised as of Sunday, May 17.
Identity of Preble County’s ‘Penny Doe’ still a mystery after half a century - Register Herald

Could a missing mother be Preble County’s Jane Doe?

Nothing new, really, other than the research is moving forward and LE is hopeful an ID is made before the end of the year.

I thought MJCVG was ruled out a long time ago (i read somewhere based on dentals/dentures and timeline)? Why is it still being brought up in the media as a possible match for Penny?
I hope that other possibilties are being explored, too and that they can get useable DNA.
Penny showed signs of embalming, again to me that screams she was once properly buried somewhere.

Eaton Penny Doe is briefly mentioned in this article about Mary Jane. They seem to still be struggling to get a sample for testing, though.

Shelby police detective taking part in exhumations to ID bodies
Her remains were found by a group of children on May 25, 1968. Jane Doe was buried Sept. 4, 1968.

Turner was able to reach one of the people who found the body as a child. He said there was some soft tissue on it. It was not just a skeleton.

The body was exhumed in late August of 2019.

"BCI (Ohio Bureau of Identification and Investigation) was unable to get a usable DNA profile," Turner said. "We kind of assumed that would happen because of how old it was."

A femur was sent to a Canadian university that specializes in forensic extraction, then to a lab in Virginia that does DNA sequencing.

"They're kind of struggling to get enough of a sample for us to do forensic genealogy," Turner said. "I think we're close. I'm hoping by the end of the year we might have some answers."

I honestly doubt the UID is Mary Jane.. her height is described as "short", but 5'4" is not particularily short in my book, just average. I am 5'5" and nobody would say I am "short".

And MJVG disappeared from 160 miles away and also the time difference is more than 20 years.... while the coroner said the PMI of Penny Doe was 12 months, maximum up to 15... yes, anything is possible but I really really doubt it is her.
I cannot believe there are no other missing women in that area in the 50's and 60's..

Looks like someone has a very strong interest in making Penny into "Mary Jane"... Really, why?

I believe part of opening up a missing persons investigation into Mary Jane also involves checking out potential Does. (Maybe it is a funding/administrative requirement?) Her missing person's case was opened in 2018. However, there was no Penny Jane Doe case until 2018.

I personally don't believe MJ is Penny Doe. The detective handling MJ's case went through all of the potential Does he could think of. There were no Doe cases in NAMUS which fit. So, he poured over old newspaper articles until he found three cases that could possibly be her. This is one of them. There really aren't that many Does with her age from that time period. So, it's a long shot, but a necessary process. This is why there is the Penny/Mary Jane connection.

Without Mary Jane, we would not have Penny Doe.
The detective said there are many, many Does which exist only in one old newspaper article and nothing more.

Yup. I hope they give her her name back. The possibility this being MJCVG is close to none (location, timeline, stats, dentals - all dont match) but I agree its great that Penny is worked on and hopefully a missing lady from the 60s whose mp report was lost in some file or a missing burial case will be identified soon.

Intermountain Forensics just tweeted this:

From CASEWORK | Moxxy Forensics :
Preble County "Penny" Doe
On May 25th, 1968; children in Eaton, Ohio came across the remains of an unidentified female in an advanced state of decomposition. The remains were disturbed by a flood in the local area and were believed to have been previously buried in a shallow grave.

The woman, nicknamed “Preble County Penny,” is believed to be 30 to 50 years of age, stood at an estimated height of 5’2” to 5’6”, and weighed an approximate 130 to 140 pounds. It was determined by the coroner at the time of the discovery that Penny could have experienced complications if she had given birth. No personal items or articles of clothing were found with the remains.

Department: Shelby Police Department

------------------------

On a side note:
Moxxy Forensic Investigations have two Jane Doe cases + a John Doe (1706UMAL) in progress, and two solved Jane Doe cases who are to yet to be announced ☉_☉

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back