Identified! OH - Englewood, 'Blue Bandana Girl', WhtFem, 17-25, Aug'87 - Paula Davis

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
No Longer the "Blue Bandanna Girl".

Rest in peace, Paula.

2218245110045078242S600x600Q851.jpg
2736220570045078242S600x600Q851.jpg

RIP Paula-SOOOO glad to read that the family is trying so hard to bring her home....

Not in a million years would I have guessed this was Paula.
Just shows that taking a photo at a certain angle, and only having one or two photos for comparison just doesn't help very much sometimes!
RIP Paula.

I'm so glad Paula now knows she was never forgotten. RIP.

Not in a million years would I have guessed this was Paula.
Just shows that taking a photo at a certain angle, and only having one or two photos for comparison just doesn't help very much sometimes!
RIP Paula.

Me either MsRyber. I was stunned actually at how unalike in my eyes the photo of Paula and the morgue photo seemed.

Rest In Peace Paula. Prayers for your family.

So glad that she was identified. God bless her family and the cast and crew from The Forgotten for helping them bring her home and bless all of you here who were working on bringing a name to this Jane Doe.

Paula is included in this recent article about NamUs.
Fort Worth-based NamUs matches names to the dead and missing
http://www.dallasnews.com/news/loca...mus-matches-names-to-the-dead-and-missing.ece
Part of what makes NamUs unique is that most of the voluminous data collected from coroners, medical examiners, police agencies and families — ranging from photos of clothing to descriptions of tattoos — is not restricted to law enforcement personnel. Anyone can go on the website and search the information. Stephanie Clack of Missouri did — and found her sister’s body in 2009. She’d been searching for Paula Davis since she disappeared 22 years earlier.
“Within 20-30 minutes, I found her,” Clack said.
Clack was 14 years old and Paula was 21 the last time they saw each other over a pizza in 1987. They talked about buying tickets for an upcoming concert, but Paula never returned to her apartment that night.

More about Paula's sister's search and NamUs at link.

I looked her up again today and found a couple nice files/links that mention Paula.

They aren't very detailed in relation to Paula, but they cover (in little mini-stories) several John-or-Jane Does that were finally identified. Or a family finding their missing loved one's remains. Sorry if it turns out that these were already posted.

Since anyone reading this thread knows at least something about Paula's case, it is just interesting to read about other such cases that might have slipped past you when they happened. I'd only really heard of Paula and Sonia Lente.

NamUs Success Stories
This is a press release (or something of that nature) that is basically a promo for NamUS and what it can do for the families of missing people. Paula is one of the eight cases mentioned.
...Name: Sonia Lente
NamUs case #: UID#2726 and MP#597
Person Missing: October 03, 2002
Body Found: 2004 Location: Albuquerque, NM
Body Identified: June, 2009

In June 2009, a citizen searching NamUs noticed a possible match between a woman who had been missing
since 2002 and an unidentified body found near Albuquerque two years later. Although authorities initially
thought the cases might be the same person, a DNA test was not close enough to make a definitive match
and the case grew cold. When the citizen cyber-sleuth saw a potential match in NamUs, she alerted the
NamUs contact on the case. A forensic odontologist, available through NamUs at no charge to agencies,
assisted in the identification of remains. Two days later, the family of woman who had been missing for over
six years was notified that their loved one’s remains had finally been identified.

NamUs Role: NamUs allowed a private citizen to access information through a single system, where records
from across the nation are now stored in one place. Providing public access to the data was critical to the
success of solving the Sonia Lente case

Name: Paula Beverly Davis
NamUs case #: UP #985
Person Missing: August 9, 1987
Body Found: August 10, 1987 Location: Englewood, Ohio
Body Identified: December 11, 2009 (Montgomery County)

On August 9, 1987, Paula Davis went missing from, Kansas City, Missouri. Fourteen hours after she was
reported missing, a body was found in Montgomery County, Ohio, but the two cases were never compared.
In October 2009, Davis’ sister, Stephanie Clack, was watching an episode of “the forgotten” and saw the
NamUs public service announcement. She went to NamUs.gov and searched the UP side with the
information she had about her sister’s case. After looking at a number of records, she found a person she
suspected may be her sister through descriptions of her sister’sunique tattoos – a unicorn and a red rose –
that the NamUs record contained. Family DNA reference samples were taken and on December 11, 2009,
Paula Davis was positively identified. She has been returned to her family and buried next to her mother.

NamUs Role: A family member was able to view the unidentified records that are publicly accessible.
Because her sister had knowledge of unique identifiers like the tattoos, she was able to identify her sister’s
remains...

Case Closed: Finding Lost Loved Ones (People magazine, 4/11/2011)
This short article profiles four cases (one being Paula) that NamUS has helped identify/locate. Link has same text as the pics (scans from the actual mag).
20110411-750-113.jpg
20110411-750-114.jpg
...A SISTER NEVER STOPPED LOOKING

Paula Beverly Davis Last Seen: August 1987

Stephanie Clack last saw her older sister Paula Davis, then 21, when they went out for pizza and Davis dropped her off at home in Kansas City, Mo. That was August 1987. "She said, 'I love you. Talk to you tomorrow,' and drove off," says Clack, 37, of Kingsville, Mo. Her sister's disappearance led to their mother's nervous breakdown. After seeing a PSA about NamUs in October 2009, Clack plugged in her sister's age, race and gender and came up with 10 pages of missing women who fit Paula's description. Her sister's two tattoos, one a rose and the other a unicorn, narrowed it down to a woman who had been strangled to death, then buried as a Jane Doe in Englewood, Ohio, shortly after Paula vanished. She was reburied next to their mother last June. "I am sure they are dancing around in heaven together," says Clack...

From September 2015, four theories on Paula's murder:

http://kcur.org/post/4-theories-kansas-city-womans-murder#stream/0

Police Detective Alan Meade interviewed Davis’ Kansas City roommate, Cathy Wood. Meade surprised her at her apartment in Melbourne, Fla., where she had moved after Davis’ death. Wood told Meade that she and Davis were drug addicts and prostitutes, “hanging out at the Oak Grove Truck Stop all night,” according to police records...

On Aug. 8, 1987, Wood reported that she, Davis and an unknown blonde girl went to the truck stop. There were a large number of police officers there, Wood said she grew scared of getting caught, so she stayed in the truck they had been sitting in. “When Davis and the blonde girl left the semi for the next truck, Wood said it was the last time she saw Davis”...

“Wood steadfastly denied having any knowledge or anything to do with Davis’ death,” Meade wrote.

From September 2015, four theories on Paula's murder:

http://kcur.org/post/4-theories-kansas-city-womans-murder#stream/0

Thank you for posting the article. Looks like there are 3 parts.

Kansas City Women Find Missing Big Sister — 22 Years Later - By Peggy Lowe • Sep 8, 2015
Sister's Disappearance Had Lasting Effect On Kansas City Family - By Peggy Lowe • Sep 8, 2015
4 Theories On Kansas City Woman's Murder - By Peggy Lowe • Sep 9, 2015

From the article OkieGranny posted - Really hope LE follows thru with this. Paula deserves justice.

Killed in Kansas City -- Davis’ sisters believe she was killed in Kansas City, driven east on I-70 and thrown from a vehicle at the entrance ramp to I-70. Mostly, they don’t believe Woods’ story. They believe either Woods or Davis’ husband, Michael, know much more than reported to authorities.

They say Davis had recently reformed, gone into recovery and was ready to turn her life around. The sisters say Davis hitchhiked around the country to attend concerts and they have the scrapbook full of tickets to prove it.

The Montgomery County (Ohio) Coroner’s office confirmed that there were no drugs in Davis’ system and no evidence of sexual assault.

Clack and Alice Beverly believe Davis was headed back to her apartment in Kansas City – and there were reports of Davis either walking or riding in a semi-truck on westbound I-70. And they believe the time frame fits that theory: Davis’ body was found in Ohio at 1:45 p.m. on Aug. 10, 1987. The coroner believed she was dead for several hours. It takes roughly 10 hours to travel from Kansas City to Englewood, Ohio...

...Clack told Meade, “a rumor was found around ‘something bad was going to happen to Paula if she didn’t return the drugs.’” Clack, who looked very similar to her sister, was also reportedly told by someone to “stay off the street or they would mistake her as Paula,” according to the report.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AussyDog
Back