Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

This timeline says he was last seen at 7 am on the 20th, that his mother posted he was missing at 10 am on the 22nd and to call police with info, and that the police shared her post at 1:55 pm on the 22nd. So I think the earliest he could have possibly been known to have been missing w/o reporting was after school on the 20th (so 3 pm'ish) to 10 am on the 22. So 41 hours would be about right. But my math is awful!
Timeline of what's happened since Harley Dilly went missing

ETA: so I see the post above me says the parents reported him missing just before midnight on the 21st. So, being conservative, they went from 3 pm on the 20th to midnight on the 21st without reporting, or 33 hours. Imo it was probably more like 24 hours from midnight on the 20th when they said oh, he's really not coming home, to midnight the following day.

Last edited by a moderator:
So someone pointed out on a FB post something about this presser I didn't catch. Chief Hickman talking about what lead them to them house. So I watched the presser again myself. "Yesterday afternoon a repeated canvas of the neighborhood lead investigators to the fath" say What????? These are the chiefs own words. He then paused, gave the address of the house he was found,and continued with the presser.
what what what??????????

I think the chief may have stumbled over his words. The house number was 507... I think he started to say "led investigators to the 507".. (especially because of the way the chief pronounces the word five....) then realizes he meant to say house and immediately corrects himself to say "to the house at 507 Fulton Street..."

ADMIN NOTE:

Read THE RULES folks.

All members are required to familiarize themselves with Websleuths rules. WS does not allow snark, rudeness or personalizing toward other members. If a post is disrespectful toward another member, that post will be removed (along with subsequent responses) and there may be a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

Post respectfully or don't post ... it's that simple.

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think the chief may have stumbled over his words. The house number was 507... I think he started to say "led investigators to the 507".. (especially because of the way the chief pronounces the word five....) then realizes he meant to say house and immediately corrects himself to say "to the house at 507 Fulton Street..."
Well I hope he does another presser to clarify.
MOO

Imo it doesn't really matter what he said or intended to say because there's no way in the world (imo) that anyone could have caused Harley to be in that chimney except himself. It's kind of amazing to me that Harley could even do it given the height of the antenna, the pitch of the roof and the narrowness of the chimney.

I just can’t get on board with blaming the family. Let’s say they hypothetically answered the call from the school & knew immediately that he was missing. They saw him on that camera walking his normal route to school. I’d imagine the first thing the police would suspect is that he either took off on his own (runaway) or he was abducted (certainly his social media would have- and did -raise red flags). I’d suspect they canvassed the neighborhood, but since what happened to Harley is so incredibly rare, I just can’t imagine anyone would have thought to be checking chimneys. I mean, we have five threads, and it wasn’t until he was found that someone posted that perhaps he tried to go down the chimney. It just wasn’t on the radar because all other options would have been far more likely than ultimately what happened.

And I can’t get on board with the hate towards law enforcement in this case. It wasn’t just local law enforcement either, so those of you blaming law enforcement for not finding him sooner are pretty much placing blame on those from a local to FEDERAL level. What happened to Harley was a horrible horrible accident. Unfathomable. But sadly nothing anyone could have done, whether it was when the school called or during the investigation would have prevented this because I honestly feel he was gone even before the school would have made that call.

I know people want to try to find answers & place blame, because the reality of what happened to poor Harley is just so heartbreaking, but I just don’t think it’s fair or accurate. My heart breaks for Harley and his family. No matter what his family was like & no matter how much some people want to villianize them, they just lost their son, brother, grandson, etc & I can’t even fathom that pain.
Well said.

People are making that conclusion based on more than the one video,and more so on other things that cannot be discussed here,suffice to say that these are not rumours and hearsay. Neither are they based on Harleys words alone,I think pretty much every adult here is sensible enough to not base their opinion solely on the words of a disgruntled 12 year old in a single youtube video. IMO

But why discuss it here if it can't be discussed here? Anyway, I'm of the belief that you can't know anyone without, well, getting to know them. And I do think there are lots of people who see headlines about "5 phone calls to LE!" and "video says 'I'm scared' and raises concerns!" and draw the conclusions without looking any deeper. But the sad truth is that if Harley's family needed intervention, nobody did it when it mattered. And, in the end, it had nothing to do with his tragic death. MOO.

Imo it doesn't really matter what he said or intended to say because there's no way in the world (imo) that anyone could have caused Harley to be in that chimney except himself. It's kind of amazing to me that Harley could even do it given the height of the antenna, the pitch of the roof and the narrowness of the chimney.
One thing. If Harley did this for youtube,fortnight,urban exploration, etc fame. Why do it when he didn't have anything to record it with??????

One thing. If Harley did this for youtube,fortnight,urban exploration, etc fame. Why do it when he didn't have anything to record it with??????
Idk anything about a connection to anything but fortnite other than people speculating. But if that's the speculation re youtube, etc your point is valid. However, I see that his mother referred to him getting the idea from fortnite. If that's the case, maybe he would have recorded it if he could have, but not being able to record it wouldn't have stopped him from trying out the fantasy irl. Hope that makes sense. jmo

Maybe this first time was a dry run to see what he'd need to make it "good" forYouTube. Or he wanted bragging rights. I wonder if other PC kids have done this kind of chimney climb, either on this house or elsewhere.

Idk anything about a connection to anything but fortnite other than people speculating. But if that's the speculation re youtube, etc your point is valid. However, I see that his mother referred to him getting the idea from fortnite. If that's the case, maybe he would have recorded it if he could have, but not being able to record it wouldn't have stopped him from trying out the fantasy irl. Hope that makes sense. jmo
Maybe. Still his online life was seriously everything to him. It was pretty much his life's breath. It would be interesting to know when his last online activity was, when exactly his phone broke, or got taken away, exactly where and when it was. So many questions.
MOO

I believe it was an attempted call by the school because according to mom -- her voicemail was full. She also complains school didn't attempt to contact six other names/contacts provided for HD. I'm not sure that's reasonable for the school on the last short day before winter break. Maybe voicemail was full so her children couldn't contact her (she wouldn't be the first).

This whole ordeal is tragic -- for the parents, friends, and community. And why blame the school and a video game in a post to defend against being blamed. :eek:

Last edited:
Maybe. Still his online life was seriously everything to him. It was pretty much his life's breath. It would be interesting to know when his last online activity was, when exactly his phone broke, or got taken away, exactly where and when it was. So many questions.
MOO

Yes. Plus, it would be interesting to know whether or not he had any conversations with anyone about climbing down the chimney, or whether or not he had encouragement from someone to do it, or did any searches about how to climb down a chimney. Was he on his own in this adventure?

Yes, I have not read all the posts.

And yes I have read the mother's statement.

Mother of Port Clinton teen Harley Dilly speaks out after he is found dead

MOO, I am disappointed of the lack of empathy for what this boy went thru in the last moments of his life. His feelings of fear knowing there was no way out and no one to hear him yelling for help...

One young man said once, "The emotions and feelings of wanting to take everything back as soon as I jumped from the bridge was horrifying. All I wanted to do was take it all back-- oh, but it was too late I already jumped."

He happened to be a man who actually lived through it, and tell his story.

What was it like for Dilly that very moment he realized he was not coming out of this alive??

MOO is it hurts me that this mother seems to be more concerned about her feelings, her pain than what her son went thru.....

I am beside myself as a mother with shock and pain....

Absolutely this!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member