Found Deceased OH - Harley Dilly, 14, walking to Port Clinton High School, 20 Dec 2019 #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware that stoves were used in the 1800s whether they used coal or wood. Stoves provided heat but I'm not aware there was any type of furnace in this case. The chimney in Harley's case served no purpose at the time of his death, according to the owner of the property.

My point is that Harley suffered compression suffocation. His chest had no room to inhale or exhale. I find it hard to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe. I have no idea what fuel the original stoves used or if there was a furnace involved and really don't care. The issue for me isn't the fuel, the issue is the size of the chimney and the fact that the size of it is what killed Harley.

JMO

That's fine, MyBelle. I was just referring to your statement that "I think there was no need to "clean" chimneys back then because they only served as exhaust outlets for wood or gas stoves." I had to clear that up, as it was not correct.

I'm aware that stoves were used in the 1800s whether they used coal or wood. Stoves provided heat but I'm not aware there was any type of furnace in this case. The chimney in Harley's case served no purpose at the time of his death, according to the owner of the property.

My point is that Harley suffered compression suffocation. His chest had no room to inhale or exhale. I find it hard to believe he entered through the attic and managed to descend more than a floor to his death if he couldn't breathe. I have no idea what fuel the original stoves used or if there was a furnace involved and really don't care. The issue for me isn't the fuel, the issue is the size of the chimney and the fact that the size of it is what killed Harley.

JMO
Did you see the visual earlier that someone posted that showed how chimney sweeps sometimes died? He could have gotten down fine, realized he was trapped, and attempted to ascend. At some point his knees could have been brought up too far, putting him in a fetal position, causing compressive asphyxiation.

Did you see the visual earlier that someone posted that showed how chimney sweeps sometimes died? He could have gotten down fine, realized he was trapped, and attempted to ascend. At some point his knees could have been brought up too far, putting him in a fetal position, causing compressive asphyxiation.

I have not read anywhere exactly where he was found in the chimney or what position his body was in when found.

I think a lot of people are confusing Harley's story with Josh Maddux's story.

I have not read anywhere exactly where he was found in the chimney or what position his body was in when found.

I think a lot of people are confusing Harley's story with Josh Maddux's story.
I didn’t say he was found this way. It’s a theory - I said he “could have.” There are all kinds of ways he could have died from compressive asphyxiation after getting down there and this is just one of them.

I didn’t say he was found this way. It’s a theory - I said he “could have.” There are all kinds of ways he could have died from compressive asphyxiation after getting down there and this is just one of them.

Sorry I quoted the wrong post. There are a few before yours saying "he went down head first" or "he was in the fetal position"

Sorry I quoted the wrong post. There are a few before yours saying "he went down head first" or "he was in the fetal position"
That’s possible, too. What we cannot conclude is that if he went down fine on his own, that compressive asphyxiation would not be possible afterwards. He could have died standing straight up, having been compressed the entire way down, but thinking he would be out as soon as he reached the bottom and be able to breathe normally again. However it happened, I hope it was quick.

ETA - I know you aren’t saying this. I’m just continuing my thoughts on the multiple ways it was possible.

As a recent widow grieving the loss of my fairly young husband earlier this year and recently my mother as well, I am now understanding what others in this type of situation go through. It's like they say, you really don't understand grief until you experience it yourself. I also have observed that it is especially difficult with the loss of a child, I can't imagine that! Condolences to all parents in that situation, whether they were "good" or not so "good" as judged in the public eye, at being a mom or dad.
Sorry to hear about your recent family losses. Stay strong Andree.

Harley was a smart 14-year-old kid who made a foolish decision. Tragically, it cost him his life. In my view, this is no different from many other young teens who do all kinds of dumb things at that age, whether running into traffic, diving into shallow pools, etc. Sometimes I wonder how any of them survive. Nor do I blame the local police. It is a small community and this is something that would not come to mind given previous experience and knowledge. What did shock me (and still does) is how none of the other agencies (in that entire long list that was at the end of the LE daily published briefings), not one of them had the idea to check out any empty houses more thoroughly, even if one of them was just across the street near where Harley was last seen. Not that Harley could have been saved. I'm just thinking of other potential cases, where there could be a person alive and in need. They should go ahead and contact the owner, or else get a warrant. That's a bit more effort but should be regular procedure in a case like this one. MOO

Harley Dilly's former teacher remembers his love for the NFL

AMHERST — Harley Dilly was a huge fan of the Cleveland Browns and loved talking about football, his former teacher remembers.

About once a week for two years, Eric Watts would sit down with the Port Clinton teenager for lunch.

They'd dissect Sunday's games and rave about Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

"He was just a fan of the sport. He loved following stats, following teams, seeing great plays, big catches, big tackles," Watts said.

Before taking a job this fall as director of the Amherst's Marion L. Steele High School choir, Watts was Dilly's teacher for three years in Port Clinton.

He was also his mentor in an Ottawa County program that paired adults with students who faced academic or personal challenges.

They were close — saying goodbye at the end of the school year was hard, Watts remembers.

When Dilly, 14, went missing Dec. 20, it was disturbing, he said. And, after weeks of searches, it was devastating to learn that Dilly had been found dead, suffocated inside the chimney of a vacant Port Clinton home.

Watts got the news Tuesday while teaching.

Steele Principal Joe Tellier covered his class while Watts went to his office to mourn behind a closed door.

He said he watched the press conference where investigators described the sad end to the hunt for the missing teen.

"It was something I was not ready to really accept until I knew what had actually happened," he said. "It takes some time to sink in. Anytime something like this happens, there's a certain element of disbelief as you process it all."

Watts said Dilly sang in the choir in sixth and seventh grade. He also wrote a weekly column for the school newspaper, recapping happenings in the NFL.

"He was energetic. He was passionate. His love for sports — you get him started and he'd go as long as you'd let him. The same with video games," Watts said.

"It's still not real. It's still a little surreal at this point," he said.

AMHERST — Harley Dilly was a huge fan of the Cleveland Browns and loved talking about football, his former teacher remembers.

About once a week for two years, Eric Watts would sit down with the Port Clinton teenager for lunch.

They'd dissect Sunday's games and rave about Kansas City Chiefs quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

"He was just a fan of the sport. He loved following stats, following teams, seeing great plays, big catches, big tackles," Watts said.

Before taking a job this fall as director of the Amherst's Marion L. Steele High School choir, Watts was Dilly's teacher for three years in Port Clinton.

He was also his mentor in an Ottawa County program that paired adults with students who faced academic or personal challenges.

They were close — saying goodbye at the end of the school year was hard, Watts remembers.

When Dilly, 14, went missing Dec. 20, it was disturbing, he said. And, after weeks of searches, it was devastating to learn that Dilly had been found dead, suffocated inside the chimney of a vacant Port Clinton home.

Steele Principal Joe Tellier covered his class while Watts went to his office to mourn behind a closed door.

He said he watched the press conference where investigators described the sad end to the hunt for the missing teen.

"It was something I was not ready to really accept until I knew what had actually happened," he said. "It takes some time to sink in. Anytime something like this happens, there's a certain element of disbelief as you process it all."

Watts said Dilly sang in the choir in sixth and seventh grade. He also wrote a weekly column for the school newspaper, recapping happenings in the NFL.

"He was energetic. He was passionate. His love for sports — you get him started and he'd go as long as you'd let him. The same with video games," Watts said.

Thank you for posting this. It was really endearing to learn more about Harley, through the eyes of his mentor.

It was 9° and windy in Port Clinton, Ohio on the morning on December 20, at 6am when a 100 pound boy with zero body fat, no insulation from the cold, was (reportedly) told to walk 4 blocks to school. He didn't climb into a chimney to 'explore' to 'plan a party', or to steal something... He was desperately trying to get warm.

Last edited:

That sounds like a big brother program? I think they've got some specifically for schools. Jmo

It was 9° and windy in Port Clinton, Ohio on the morning on December 20, at 6am when a 100 pound boy with zero body fat, no insulation from the cold, was (reportedly) told to walk 4 blocks to school. He didn't climb into a chimney to 'explore' to 'plan a party', or to steal something... He was desperately trying to get warm.

I agree, but I so wish he had just walked to school and hung out there, sheltered from the wind, until school opened or a kind custodian let him in. :(

It was ~16 degrees at 6 am and 18 degrees at 7 when he was last seen. There was no wind to speak of.

Port Clinton, OH Weather History | Weather Underground

I agree, but I so wish he had just walked to school and hung out there, sheltered from the wind, until school opened or a kind custodian let him in. :(
I don't think he believed he could make it that far. He was freezing. Imagine how daunting 4 blocks would seem to a child, when there was a warm, empty house in front of him... It was enough to make him take the extreme risk of climbing on top of a roof, and entering a chimney.

I don't think he believed he could make it that far. He was freezing. Imagine how daunting 4 blocks would seem to a child, when there was a warm, empty house in front of him... It was enough to make him take the extreme risk of climbing on top of a roof, and entering a chimney.
It would have taken him just as long, if not longer, to scale the antenna and negotiate the roof. Especially if he was freezing. Plus, to most 14 year old boys, anything above freezing is shorts weather.

MOO I honestly don't think the temperature played any part in HD's decision to go into a chimney. Living in a climate similar to Ohio, it is the norm for kids to walk a few blocks or stand on the corner to wait for a bus in all types of temperatures. My own teenagers are accustomed to doing this & they have never complained to me. It is just part of life in our climate.
I'm sure it took him much longer to climb the antenna and then climb the roof, than it would've to just walk the 4 blocks to school. Teenagers make unwise decisions every day. I made many at his age.

MOO I appreciate his teacher telling his story. He should not be remembered for a dumb decision, but rather for the impact he had on people in his short life.

I believe your weather stats are incorrect. Regardless, HD was certainly not the only child tasked with going to school that day. His detour to school that he did take was far more dangerous. IMO, this has nothing to do with warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member