Found Deceased OH - Joey LaBute, 26, Columbus, 4 March 2016 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Maybe. I would just throw in that parking in the Short North is sparse, and on a busy weekend even more so. Odds of being able to leave a parking spot and return to it are kinda sketchy.

He didn't park in the Short North. He parked in Victorian Village in a complex's parking lot. He used to live there a couple of years ago. It's honestly just easier and cheaper to not park i the Short North and just park a bit away from it and walk.

I also think that when my husband and I go in to the Short North, especially when we go to Union, that we take the same general route that Joey would have taken after his car was parked.

I want to know where he was for the 3 weeks before he was dumped in the river [emoji24]

I'm gonna repost one of my previous responses here because it seems like people are thinking that he was dumped in the spot where he was found when it's highly unlikely.

Try to remember, folks. The only way he was placed in the water in the area where he was found would be if he were placed there pretty much that same day. With all of the rain, wind, etc that we've had here in Ohio for the past month, his body would have floated away from that spot. I think too much thought is being put into him being placed into the water at the same spot where he was recovered. This simply wouldn't happen because of the current. Again, unless he was placed there that same day and was recovered extremely quickly. I think we should be thinking of which way the current flows, how fast the current is moving and where else, upstream, that he could have been placed in the river.

f4c8084c92d2e365e7d93b1282f0864c.jpg

That park is pretty big and there are a few paths that lead close to the river, that are located above the peninsula. Maybe him and whoever were strolling through the park when whatever incident happened, and maybe he was placed in the river from one of those paths that are close to the water. The current isn't very fast in Scioto and he could have been under for a week or so before slowly floating over to the other side of the river and down river a little to where it bends, then got hung up on debris close to the edge. If you watch the news video where they're retrieving the body from the water and putting in the boat; they are on the other side of the river. There is a boat ramp that's old, nearly overgrown, and never used within feet of where he was removed. You can see in the video where a man is standing on that ramp while they're removing the body to place into the boat. Then the boat that retrieved him is heading down river, around the peninsula, and over to the boat ramp where the news reporters are standing.

The boat has to make a rather large arch around the peninsula because the water is very shallow around it.

He was probably in that park when he died would be my guess at this point. Then thrown in. If you pull up a satellite view of that park where you can zoom in. That old rich st bridge or whatever it is that leads from the railroad bridge over to the park; looks like it has some homeless camps on it. I noticed it while on google earth. I don't know if that's still there from when the satellite picture was took, but a homeless person could have the answer to what happened that night in the park.

I highly doubt he floated too far on that river because downtown is really busy along the water during the week. All the traffic heading over bridges and people walking and businesses that can over look the river: there's no way he just floated down river from Short North unnoticed with all the eyes on that river throughout the work week. I'm leaning toward the idea it happened in that park. Above the peninsula! There's no way he was thrown in at the boat launch on the park side and floated around the peninsula and upstream to the other side. He would've went downstream and over the dam if placed in at that location. The video from the news report shows them retrieving the body from the other side. Not the peninsula and not the park side.

I highly doubt he floated too far on that river because downtown is really busy along the water during the week. All the traffic heading over bridges and people walking and businesses that can over look the river: there's no way he just floated down river from Short North unnoticed with all the eyes on that river throughout the work week. I'm leaning toward the idea it happened in that park. Above the peninsula! There's no way he was thrown in at the boat launch on the park side and floated around the peninsula and upstream to the other side. He would've went downstream and over the dam if placed in at that location. The video from the news report shows them retrieving the body from the other side. Not the peninsula and not the park side.

I have to agree with you, I really think if he had been floating down a river for 3 weeks someone would have seen him before his body was recovered....plus with all of his clothing still in tact and the body in "good" shape- I'm thinking he didn't move very far from where he was dumped.

Try to remember, folks. The only way he was placed in the water in the area where he was found would be if he were placed there pretty much that same day. With all of the rain, wind, etc that we've had here in Ohio for the past month, his body would have floated away from that spot. I think too much thought is being put into him being placed into the water at the same spot where he was recovered. This simply wouldn't happen because of the current. Again, unless he was placed there that same day and was recovered extremely quickly. I think we should be thinking of which way the current flows, how fast the current is moving and where else, upstream, that he could have been placed in the river.

I would normally agree with you, however in almost every report they stated that he was partially submerged, meaning something such as debris was heavy enough to hold the body under water which would have kept it in place.

Agreed. Not to mention the coverage of his disappearance was widespread here in Columbus, so people would have been very aware of anything "suspicious" in the river as they passed. I think you are on to something as far as JL getting in the car with someone and driving to the park. Whatever happened probably happened there, late at night, secluded...

I said from the beginning that just because his car was back in the same spot where he always parks doesnt mean he wasnt driving during the phone call. He could have left and been driving. Maybe to drive someone home. Possibly with someone else who, after dumping him, put the car back in the same place it was at the beginning of the night, in order to throw the trail off. I do hope they processed the car, as well as looked at footage of when the car came in and if it ever moved before being found.

You may have a point, because I found it interesting that CPD impounded his car after the family found it on Sunday morning.

Not only was his car not real close to the bar but it was also 1:30am and few people are probably looking for a new parking spot at that hour. Most parking spots would probably become open as people leave the area and head home. Though I don't think his car was drove and returned to the same spot.

Well the thing about Thurber Village Apt where he parked his car is that it's all permit parking and they are very well known for towing cars without this permit. Joey use to live in Thurber Village therefore he had a permit which is why he parked there knowing there would be no parking closer to Union. Just because it is permit parking doesn't mean it's assigned parking... So who is to say that where he parked his car on Friday night is the same exact spot they found his car parked in.... Meaning if his car moved someone could have parked in that same spot, and he or someone parked it in the same parking lot but not necessarily the same spot

Maybe. I would just throw in that parking in the Short North is sparse, and on a busy weekend even more so. Odds of being able to leave a parking spot and return to it are kinda sketchy.

I completely agree with and second this. There would be a one in a million chance his car was moved and returned to the same spot.

I would normally agree with you, however in almost every report they stated that he was partially submerged, meaning something such as debris was heavy enough to hold the body under water which would have kept it in place.

But there is nothing stating that debris was holding his body under water. Last I read was that his body was "tangled in debris." Granted, it could mean that something was tied to him to keep him under water. But it could also mean that he slowly floated down stream while his body took on water and slowly began to sink.

In all honesty, if he was put in that river around that area the I would certainly hope that cameras from businesses (if there are any businesses located around there?) saw something and that CPD is working on identification. I want nothing more than full closure for his family, no matter the circumstances of his death. It all seems suspicious to me. Especially since the coroner said that she was pretty sure that he has died before he was put in the water. If someone did something to him then I want them to be caught.

I completely agree with and second this. There would be a one in a million chance his car was moved and returned to the same spot.

He didn't park in the Short North. He parked in a complex parking lot in Victorian Village where he used to live. He apparently parked there whenever he came in to Columbus to hang out. From first hand experience, the parking lot in that particular complex always has a few spots open. Most people who live there don't drive up to the Short North because it's a 15 minute walk. No point in driving when you already live so close. So on weekends, most people don't even move their cars unless they're going further away. So it really could have been moved and put in the same spot after anything happened. Especially the spot where he was supposed to have parked that night. It was very close to a set of dumpsters in the lot. Most people who live there do not park too close to the dumpsters for some reason. It's kinda weird.

But he was in an apartment parking lot, right? And his cousins didn't know the exact spot in, just that he had parked there. Parking in the same spot or near the same spot doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. I know when I used to park at my old apartment to walk to a bar, I used to actually park by the street side of the lot, not the part of the lot near the apartments, so I always had the same or near spot!

But he was in an apartment parking lot, right? And his cousins didn't know the exact spot in, just that he had parked there. Parking in the same spot or near the same spot doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. I know when I used to park at my old apartment to walk to a bar, I used to actually park by the street side of the lot, not the part of the lot near the apartments, so I always had the same or near spot!

He was parked in the Thurber Gate parking lot. You are correct. I was told by someone (relative or friend) that he kept his parking pass from there when he moved. Most likely so he would have a consistent place to park without fear of getting towed.

Do we know he wasn't in the river the whole time? I might have missed that. I know there was some confusion initially between what the detective who was interviewed at the scene said (body was in good condition) to what the coroner said (had to identify w/dental records because of level of decomposition).

I thought it was stated that they thought he hadn't been dead for the whole three weeks, and had only died recently.

I do hope they processed the car, as well as looked at footage of when the car came in and if it ever moved before being found.

Unfortunately, there are no cameras in the complex that would have been able to see his car come and go. The only cameras in the complex are the two by the pool and one in the laundry room. If he had parked as a specific angle or spot then the cameras MIGHT have seen him, but having looked at those cameras and the angles that they could see, they wouldn't have been able to see the area where he parked his car. :(

Unfortunately, there are no cameras in the complex that would have been able to see his car come and go. The only cameras in the complex are the two by the pool and one in the laundry room. If he had parked as a specific angle or spot then the cameras MIGHT have seen him, but having looked at those cameras and the angles that they could see, they wouldn't have been able to see the area where he parked his car. :(

Well, I am hoping they checked other cameras nearby. New Orleans has this super great non profit Project Nola) that does just that--- when a crime occurs, they do not only rely on the cameras at the location. They basically have a network of cameras along all of the areas that they keep checking until they spot what they need. They have actually followed people for a long way on different cameras to find what type of car they ended up getting into. Of course, if they have not done video checks of nearby homes or businesses already, it would be too late.

I thought it was stated that they thought he hadn't been dead for the whole three weeks, and had only died recently.

Hmm...do you remember where you heard or saw that? I hadn't heard anything about how long they think he'd been in the water. TIA

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cheeseDreams
Back