OH - Joshua Lunsford for sexual conduct w/ 14yo girl, Springfield, 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I always dated older guys also. When I was 12 a 17 year old, when I was 14 a 19 year old and as you said I was in total control of those relationships. Would I allow my daughter to do it? No, but I did and I knew what I was doing.
Of course, every 12- and 14-year-old think that they are mature and know what they are doing. Were you old enough to find a job and live on your own, or were you just in control in the areas that you wanted to be? BTW, what in the heck is a 12-year-old doing "dating" anyway??

If you finished school and didn't get pregnant or catch any STD's along the way, you are certainly one lucky gal!

A 17- or a 19-year-old male is seeing a young girl for one reason, IMO. Guess what it is?? ;)

I can't help but wonder what people would be saying if this 18 yr old was the relative of John Couey. I don't understand looking at the facts of the case based on who the relative of a possible criminal is.

I happen to think this guy was probably just being an 18 yr old. I liked Mark's statement. "We're talking about Romeo and Juliet here, not some 36-year-old pervert following around a 10-year-old," Lunsford said.:clap:

I sure agree that the parents were not thinking straight when they let their daughter date an older boy. In my opinion, 14 yrs is way too young to be dating anyway.

Of course, every 12- and 14-year-old think that they are mature and know what they are doing. Were you old enough to find a job and live on your own, or were you just in control in the areas that you wanted to be? BTW, what in the heck is a 12-year-old doing "dating" anyway??

If you finished school and didn't get pregnant or catch any STD's along the way, you are certainly one lucky gal!

A 17- or a 19-year-old male is seeing a young girl for one reason, IMO. Guess what it is?? ;)

No pregnancies, no STD's and finished school with a 4.17 GPA. I dated guys who were older than I was but that does not mean we had sex. When I was 12 I was not having sex. I was actually date raped (a term that did not exist back then) at that age by another boyfriend so it was a "long" time before I ever had consensual sex. I was also sexually molested by a boyfriend of my mother's at this same time period. I agree a 12 year old should not be "dating" but we lived a place overseas where it did happen and my parents didn't care to stop it. (They were too busy with thier own divorce going on.) For the record-when I was 14 and dating the 19 year old I never had sex with him either--his momma told him he better watch it since I was much younger than him! In fact the first person I did have consensual sex with was 3 years older than me and he was 18! The boys who gave me more grief trying to get into my pants were the 15 and 16 year old boys that I dated at some point. They never suceeded but I found them to be immature and they really only did think about one thing! Oh and also, not at 12 but by the age of 14 and after my parents divorce and I was living with my mother I did work ("under the table" at first until I turned 15 and was eligible for "real" employment) and I did pay bills. My mother was very irresponsible (alcoholic and drug addict) and my sister and I ended up buying our own groceries, paying electric and water bills etc... great stuff for "kids" to have to deal with.

Now, with all that being said, there is no way in hell I would allow my daughter to do what I did. I was extremely mentally mature for my age and she will never be at that same level of maturity at those ages that I was at. We just have different life experiences--thank God. Instead of self-destructing after some bad experiences with men I took control of my life and the people around me. I chose carefully those I would let near me and guys I dated were respectful of my position because I was always honest with them about what happened in my life. I did marry very young (18) but so far have made it through 15 years of marriag without a hitch and my husband is also very respectful of me. I met him when I a just turned 17 and he was 19. Ironically, he was the closest in age to me that I had ever dated. So anyow now that I have rambled on and on the point is that there are some younger kids who have more maturity in their little finger than some 30 year olds will have in a lifetime just based on life experiences they may have had. As parents it is our job to ensure that our children are allowed to be children and are not forced to grow up like I was with the life experiences that I had at such a young age.

This just makes me sick. I have to let my sixteen yr old son read this, because apparently in America now, you cannot even be a normal teen anymore. That poor boy.

I think her f'ing parents need to be brought up on child endangerment charges, since they allowed their daughter to date him in the first place. Were they supposed to break up midnight the moment he turned legally 18??

I can only pray this case gets dropped.

Boy, this is a tough situation. No way should what has been alleged result in an 18 year old young man being labeled as a sex offender.

Although I am all for very, very extremely tough laws for sexual assaults against children, there has to be some room for common sense to be used. But too often common sense is the last thing the law has in mind.

As an example of whacky laws, I'll mention something that happened to a young man I know. He had turned 17 two days earlier, and was cutting across an open, unfenced school grounds with his three best buds, all of whom would be turning 17 within the next couple of weeks. They came across an open, unlocked cooler of icy cokes, and two of the boys---not the 17 year old--- decided to help themselves to a 16 oz. coke. The coach of the school caught the boys (who had not opened the cokes and offered to put them back) but the coach refused to let them return the cokes and he detained all four of them. He then called the principal who in turn called the cops, and all four boys were arrested. All four were arrested for tresspassing, because they were cutting across school grounds. All four were arrested with theft, because two of the boys had stolen cokes which were valued at $1.00 each. The three boys who had not yet turned 17 were released to their parents. But the 17 year old was arrested on three felony counts of contributing to the delinquency of a minor. Three felonys. Now, I don't know about you, but that makes no sense to me. No sense at all.

These parents should be ashamed of themselves! I have a 13 Year old daughter and I'll be damned if she's gonna be out unsupervised until she is at least 16 years old! I was not allowed to date until I was 16, and I didn't even have my first sexual encounter until I was almost 20. Nothing wrong with teaching your kids some freaking boundries and self respect for God's sake. I agree with the posters who said

1) this seem retalitory
2) her parents should be charged with endangerment since the allowed the relationship and her to date :doh:

I hope this goes in front of a judge who is able to recognize this boy is not a criminal. His crime is the ignorance and bravado of youth. The best punishment for this is maturity which will happen sooner then later for this boy because of what he now must face. The girl is not a victim and should not be portrayed as one. The girls parents seem to be very lacking. First they allow their 14 year old to be in a relationship with an 18 year old. Then the father physically attacks the 18 year old and finally they file charges with the police which are innapropriate and both damaging and embarresing to an 18 year old boy who is not a criminal. Nice parents. Maybe a judge can sentance them to parenting , anger managment and compassion classes.

mjak

If this prosecution goes forward, it will be a travesty. Those parents should be ashamed of themselves. :razz:

kgeaux, that makes no sense to me either. We parents had better make sure our children know these kinds of arrests are possible and age makes a big difference in how they will be regarded in the eyes of the law.

bakersprune, I agree. I was 16 before I was allowed to date...some parents take a big chance by letting their child grow up too fast...and some of those parents end up charging the guy for doing what comes naturally to teens.

There is a huge difference between an 18 year old dating a 14 year old and an 18 year old molesting a 10 year old.

Teens that are this age date each other all the time. It does not mean its right, but this is not the same as a predatory child molester.

I constantly hear stories out here in AZ, especially Amber Alerts, where a teenager has run off with an older boyfriend. In most cases, the parents know about this boyfriend.

It seems in the mexican culture (which I am married into) it is quite common for an 18/19 year old boy to date a teenager under the age of consent. The families often do not raise a stink about it, until something goes wrong.

This adult had sexual contact with a minor child. The laws are in place to protect children. He is four years older. She is a child, not yet 16. He should have known better, the parents told him to stay away from their daughter. That is what he should have done. Why is an adult dating a child. She is a minor. Our 15 year old son, 16 in the fall is dating a 14 year old girl, who will be 15 this summer. He is in grade 10, she is in grade 9. Now that is appropriate. Her father even gave our son the third degree. I would not allow a 14 year old girl to date an 18 year old man. When he knew the parents views and wishes, he should have backed off, and dated someone over 16. I don't blame the parents, how else where they going to "keep" him away from their daughter and how else where they going to protect their minor child from an adult.

He should have known better, the parents told him to stay away from their daughter. That is what he should have done.

I haven't read that anywhere. Can you provide a link? I believe the father told him to stay away from his daughter in April, but the incident he's charged with occurred before then. If that's wrong, I'm sure you'll correct me. ;)

I never read that the two had sex, but that the Lunsford boy supposedly fondled the girl outside the skating rink while making out.

In March the adult is alleged to have had sexual contact with the minor child. Who knows when the parents found out, it could have been in April, after the fact that he is alleged to have had sexual contact with the child. In April, Father confronts adult and "tells him to stay away from his child". Did he, or did she just keep on seeing the minor child. He is an adult, she is a child. If the Father went to such extremes to "risk" and be charged with a criminal offense then get the hint buddy, stay away from the girl. I have strong feeling, that knowing that he had sexual contact, telling him to stay away from the girl, the father is charged with a criminal offense, the adult still kept on seeing the girl and the parents knowing this, went to the Police. The parents made it quite clear their views, which were ignored. What else where they going to do, except take matter further to protect their daughter.

You may be right but I haven't read anything to indicate he continued seeing the girl after being told to stay away. I'm not defending the young man because I don't know. I just wondered if you read that somewhere or if it was your take on what happened.

This adult had sexual contact with a minor child. The laws are in place to protect children. He is four years older. She is a child, not yet 16. He should have known better, the parents told him to stay away from their daughter. That is what he should have done. Why is an adult dating a child. She is a minor. Our 15 year old son, 16 in the fall is dating a 14 year old girl, who will be 15 this summer. He is in grade 10, she is in grade 9. Now that is appropriate. Her father even gave our son the third degree. I would not allow a 14 year old girl to date an 18 year old man. When he knew the parents views and wishes, he should have backed off, and dated someone over 16. I don't blame the parents, how else where they going to "keep" him away from their daughter and how else where they going to protect their minor child from an adult.
if these parents can not control their 14 year old this wont be the last call to the police they have to make.

The eighteen year old knew what he was doing was wrong. That is the bottom line. The girl's mother told him to stay away or she would press charges and he continued to sneak around with the girl anyway.

When I was this girl's age, I was also sneaking out behind my parents back, running around with older "cool" boys. A lot of good that did me - I was raped by my so-called boyfriend and became a huge target for the older girls to bully. I thought I could handle anything at that age and I was incredibly naive. Parents have rules for a reason. And yes, while it does suck that Mark's son will now be labeled as a sex offender, the young man clearly knew what he was doing was wrong.

As for those of you who mention grandparents, etc being guilty of the same thing, all I can say is that it was a much different time back then. Our society is much more sexualized now than it was back then.

Wow, Masterj, sorry about what happened to you. :(

After learning he was warned, I tend to agree that he is responsible and has the pay the piper.

my problem is not that the boy should not be punished. he should be. with the same crime he would be charged with if she was 30 days older. to charge him as a pedo weakens the meaning of the laws.

I suspect the charges will be reduced before it's all over. Hopefully, that's the case and the boy will learn a valuable lesson.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellerybeans
Back