OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 Aug 2011, found deceased in 2013 *arrest in 2023* #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am wondering about the silence too. I thought we were going to hear something and that's why Dave was getting anxious. The trailer or preview of the film was released and then nothing. What does this mean?

:bump: for Katelyn!!!

Where is the :justice: ???

:dunno:

I can't imagine...

:gaah:

100K reward being offered since August of 2015 & yet it seems NO ONE is talking???

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

:thinking:

What does that say to y'all???
IMO One person and one person only knows ...and we all know he's not going to turn himself in [emoji35]

(P.S. way to handle the snark [emoji41] )

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

11367875_G.jpg

Katelyn Markham's film premiers tonight
August 16, 2016

Snipped...
...After Tuesday's show, the movie will be placed online.

...The reward for information in her death is now $100,000.

http://www.fox19.com/story/32766971/markham-film-premieres-tuesday

-----------------------------------------------------

For anyone local:

There are only 250 tickets available to the free showing that premiers tonight at 7:30 p.m. @ Showcase Cinema de Lux.

:justice: for Katelyn!

I wouldn't say it was a cold case. We all know here who did it, just no proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to think we might at least get more information if it was *labeled* "cold," but that's not true in Ohio. They can keep a cold file "confidential" if they want. I'm beating a dead horse here, but I think the reason the case may seem cold is that the detectives in this case are not the ones keeping it active in terms of public information sharing. Private interests have had to do all of the work. The FPD is going through the motions. I still don't think they have even started a Facebook page. If you watch the Butler Sheriff's spokesman in a recent report, he simply reads a prepared statement to one question. When I watch these kinds of statements, they seem arrogant to me. It's like they're angry about having to report to the public at all. Butler County and the ISP have Facebook pages, but I haven't seen one appeal for new information in the Markham case.

I'm not sure whether having the extra agencies "look" at the case helped, in hindsight. The "experts" in this area (and many others) robotically say things like "The case is very active and ongoing," but they haven't been proactive in terms of trying to find new information. They haven't produced a timeline, or laid out a list of truthful statements, or tried to reach out to the public to find someone they might not even know about yet. If the (public) detectives don't do these things, witnesses can simply dismiss any private efforts to do something similar. The only thing the police have ever done with the Markham case is repeat the "I can't comment" mantra when they occasionally agree to an interview. In the interviews, they haven't said a single substantial word for years. If the detectives know who is responsible - and they should - there's no reason they have to hide it. They aren't obligated to be fair and balanced. I think they're just used to doing things this way, and it's not as effective as the more modern approach taken in similar cases by other leaders. I'm not too impressed with the tenacity of journalists connected to the case, either.

I'm a local and was lucky enough to attend the Katelyn Markham documentary release.

One thing to know about Butler County is that, like most areas, have a relatively low amount of homicides a year. A March 2015 article of the Journal News cited that only 36 homicides had been investigated by the Butler County coroner since 2010. Fairfield, specifically, averages one homicide a year. (http://m.journal-news.com/news/news/butler-county-homicide-rate-below-state-national-a/nkTw8/) As a side note, I'll say that given the enormity of the opiate epidemic in our county, it's still shocking that these rates have been this low.

Given all of this, it seems that this case would be best suited for state or, even, federal law enforcement. Not only because of a lack of experience in our area, but also for more practical jurisdictional issues that could rise in the case of a trial.

With the evidence that is publicly accessible, it is not 100% clear if Katelyn died in Ohio or Indiana. She very well could have had harm inflicted on her here and then she passed in Indiana. She could have died here and was dumped in Indiana. She could even have left her home willingly with her killer and have been killed in Indiana.

My gut says the crime started in her Fairfield apartment and ended in Indiana. There are a number of possibilities here, but one thing that's certain is that she was found in Indiana.

So, given all of this, it seems natural to me for Fairfield to invite these larger jurisdictions in, but it appears to be a war of egos. There are a number of things that has gone awry in the investigation and it would be detestation get if this meant that evidence couldn't be used at a trial. It's time to put all of that to rest, eat crow, and ask for help.

I will also say that JC's mother seemed genuinely distraught in her interviews in the documentary and I admire the fact that she participated given that she has received a lot of scrutiny. However, JC's absence in the recent investigation has been notable. For a living I work with numbers and while this is only a statistic, women in the US are 15 times more likely to be killed by a man they know than a stranger. 62% of these are by an intimate partner. I'm open to other possibilities but sometimes the math works. (MOO)

IThe FPD is going through the motions. I still don't think they have even started a Facebook page. If you watch the Butler Sheriff's spokesman in a recent report, he simply reads a prepared statement to one question..

If you're referring to an in general FB page, then here is Fairfield's: https://www.facebook.com/pages/City-of-Fairfield-Police-Department/145720685472101

As far as a separate page for Katelyn Markham, I wouldn't say that's shocking because there are three that I know of that are ran by the family and supporters, and Fairfield probably wouldn't even think to do that.

If you're referring to an in general FB page, then here is Fairfield's: https://www.facebook.com/pages/City-of-Fairfield-Police-Department/145720685472101

As far as a separate page for Katelyn Markham, I wouldn't say that's shocking because there are three that I know of that are ran by the family and supporters, and Fairfield probably wouldn't even think to do that.

That's not a Facebook page for the FPD. It's was formed because of a small grouping of comments and reviews about them. I'm not sure if it's automatically generated or not, but I know some Facebook pages default to the Wikipedia page if there's no official Facebook page.

You can type in "Fairfield Police" and see the page for other "Fairfields" like California and Connecticut. Or just search for any city with a modern police force today and pull up a page (Tampa has one....also county sheriff's offices). You can see all of the great ways they utilize public information sharing (marketing/missing persons/officer recognition/surveillance photos with requests for identification, etc).

I suspect Fairfield doesn't have a page because they know they'll be relentlessly criticized, and because they don't believe in sharing information with the public.

Thanks, though.

So sorry I haven't answered this sooner, tarabull; many preoccupations, and attention placed elsewhere than WS for a good while now.

SGS....u seem tarabully bitter.

No, not bitter, lol. (Don't know why I would be 'bitter' at all, at least by my understanding of the word.) A touch irritable, sure, but no more than that.

I know it's hard to detect tone accurately online. I apologize - I should have written more carefully, enough for my tone to be clearer to you. It was more of a 'Tssst! Ughhh, here we go, more elaborate coyness instead of people just speaking their minds straight out...!' than anything else.

Also, as I recall, I had just seen a few weeks' worth of people doing that very thing: being coy and suggestive and vague and not just coming out and saying what they meant, for no reason I could detect.

That predisposed me to a sort of 'last straw' mentality in which I finally broke my annoyed silence and voiced my thoughts. However, only a small percentage of that annoyance was towards you. It was a situation built up mostly by several others, mostly not even on Websleuths at all.

Well, you know how it goes when 15 people do something that bugs you, then you finally say something to the 16th person, and the 'something' may be a bit much in reality because it has the other 15 instances behind it. That's how it was when I wrote my response to you. I hope that's clear now.

YOU take care tho SGS...maybe try some yoga, meditation or hulla hooping...
Well, thank you. :-) I have found that blowing bubbles is a surprisingly good stress reliever, speaking of hula hooping! (Deep breathing...?) Sometimes the simplest childhood things help us ground and chill out.

The documentary on KM was heartfelt, that's for sure. I was in the back row in a packed theater, but heard many people crying or sniffling by the end. It was also startling in a few ways (esp. the friend who revealed Katelyn had been at a bonfire the night BEFORE she disappeared, but was unhappy and withdrawn).

Even though a bonfire was at the dramatic center of her disappearance night, none of John Carter's friends or family ever mentioned THE OTHER BONFIRE at any point -- an event less than 24 hours before he saw her last.

If there were documents important to her that were to be burned in a fire, why not burn them that night, Friday August 12, 2011? Why send those unburned documents along with JC the next night, and ask him to burn them without her present - even though (according to JC's version of what Katelyn said in text) she wished she could have been there to see them go?

I wonder what to make of all that.

Hi, everyone. I found my way here while looking for info on Katelyn and the investigation into her death. She lived not far from me, and I vividly remember the search team walking through the field behind my house after she was reported missing. I see her apartment everyday while driving through the neighborhood, and I can't help but think of her and hope there'll be justice for her one day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lisa83
Back