OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 Aug 2011, found deceased in 2013 *arrest in 2023* #5

Really not seeing where justice has been served.Prosecution's case too weak? Too much time had passed by? JohnC allowed to post bond, unbelievable. moo

Dave Markham is a remarkable man.
He posted bond a long time ago and was allowed to remain free on bond until the sentencing hearing.

Really not seeing where justice has been served.Prosecution's case too weak? Too much time had passed by? JohnC allowed to post bond, unbelievable. moo

Not enough evidence. And her body had been moved to the location where it was found after being held at another location.

No cause of death determined.

Yes, agreed. He posted bond last year April 2023... I posted about it several pages back.

BBM

The defense would likely have raised a fuss if JC was not offered a bond and allowed the possibility to bail out. The only reason to deny him bond would have many been if he was a threat to someone or had a past history of skipping. Perhaps the bond amount should have been higher than $1M.

But ya, to bad he wasn't sitting in jail this whole time. Although what ever time he would have been in jail awaiting trial would have been applied to the sentence he will receive.

So the only benefit he would have received from bailing out in this case is if he would have been convicted or plead guilty to first degree murder where he spends the rest of his life in prison and by bailing out he shortened the time he actually would have spent behind bars.

JMO

My bet is, he will get the maximum sentence of 36 months, plus the maximum amount of supervised release.

I hope it's not like other cases where the convict only serves a percentage of their sentence before being paroled.
Carter faces anywhere from probation up to three years in prison.

He is scheduled to be sentenced July 18.

Carter and his attorneys declined to comment after Friday's plea hearing.

Carter is the one who initially reported Katelyn missing on Aug. 14, 2011, in a 911 call. That was just days before her 22nd birthday.

Det. Joe Nerlinger and Sgt. Rob Whitlock both work for the Butler County Sheriff's Office. They began looking at the case in 2015, four years after Katelyn disappeared and two years after her remains were found in Indiana.

"Right from the get-go, we were confident that John Carter was responsible," Whitlock said

"My fiancee is missing. I can't find her anywhere. She was at her house. She was going to bed. She wasn't going out to do anything," Carter said in the 911 call.

"The 911 call stood out to us. When we're looking at the timeline of things and listening to the 911 call, I remember telling Joe, this is made up. This call. You can hear it in his voice. This is a lie," Whitlock said.

After listening to the private investigator on "Gone At 21" podcast I realized there were other potential suspects. But now this character has revealed (or possibly a version for the court) that he is the one responsible for her demise I'm upset that the max he can get is 3 years!!!!! What a mess!

This is LUDICROUS.
He wrote about slitting her wrist, he violently assaulted her, murdered his fiancée (the woman who loved and trusted him) and DISMEMBERED HER, drove her 30 miles OUT OF STATE from Ohio to Indiana to dump her dismembered body.
Possibly moved her remains.
He admitted to killing her.
Violent, sick, twisted, dangerous felon ….. danger to society……
And the psychopath (per detectives) is only getting 3 years maximum?
What?????

THIS IS A COMPLETE AND UTTER MISCARRIAGE OF JUSTICE and beyond ridiculous.

What kind of incompetence is this and what kind of message does this send?
Kill your fiancée and get away with cold blooded murder- that’s what!!!
HOW STUPID AND UNREAL IS THIS???
I’m flabbergasted.

If our justice system is this screwed up the least they can do is start a category of registered “murdering psychopaths” so that like SEX OFFENDERS the public would be able to know when he moves to your neighborhood.

IMHO

If JC had gone to trial he may have been found not guilty. JC pleading guilty and being sentenced to prison and probation is better than him walking free.

Since the cause of death couldn't be determined it would have been a hard case to prove he murdered her and since there was no "smoking gun" there is nothing to point to JC committing the crime other than he had the opportunity to do so.

JMO

This is local to me. I hope her father sues our local PD it’s because of them he is getting a slap on the hand. Sick!
I grew up in Fairfield, but moved away after college. What I sensed was apathy. I followed this case more closely than my friends who still live there. What’s your take?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hirundo
Back