OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 Aug 2011, found deceased in 2013 *arrest in 2023* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
One of the first cases I followed here on WS. Glad to see JC has been held accountable.

I think the plead deal was done to ensure a conviction and justice for Katelyn. Likely lack of physical evidence hindered the case along with the amount of time that has passed. Witness memory after that long can also be a problem in court.

36 months is better than a not guilty verdict or hung jury if the case had gone to trial.

JMO

Dave Markham, Katelyn Markham’s father, read a letter in court before Carter was sentenced:

“Not a day goes by that I don’t think of Katelyn,” he said, imploring Judge Daniel Haughey to sentence Carter to the maximum sentence by law. “Let him feel the pain that many of us have endured for the past 13 years.”

Carter did not speak during the sentencing hearing. His attorneys asked Haughey to impose probation or a minimal prison term, asking him to consider the law and not emotional statements.

Haughey, though, imposed the maximum term allowed under the plea deal, saying Carter “has shown no genuine remorse for this offense.” He also noted that Carter did not try to help Markham or acknowledge what happened to her immediately after her death.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Eric
Back