OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thought I can come up with is that if the ring has been pawned or sold to a reputable business, then the pawn shop or business staff would have information about the person who pawned or sold it.

Right, but only if they happened to see the article. It seems like an inefficient way to go about that... surely LE would just contact the pawn shops directly.

Right, but only if they happened to see the article. It seems like an inefficient way to go about that... surely LE would just contact the pawn shops directly.

I would think so, too- seems they would send a BOLO for the ring to all the local pawn shops.

Most times, LE deals directly with pawn shops...this is a weird kind of plea that if the public finds the ring, it will lead to Katelyn? Is this coming from the family, as opposed to LE?

Most times, LE deals directly with pawn shops...this is a weird kind of plea that if the public finds the ring, it will lead to Katelyn? Is this coming from the family, as opposed to LE?
If someone abducted her and decided to try to get some money out of the ring,
if they have half a brain, they would not take it to a pawn shop. They'd try to sell it to someone
or swap it for drugs or something of this nature. The point is, if she was abducted, then that ring
is probably the only thing she had on her the abductor might keep.
So, If someone were to receive this as payment for something, it could possibly be tracked to the perpetrator.

Here's another scenario of why you'd want to get an image of that ring out there in the news.
Say someone came to her door... "hey, my car just broke down in front of your house".
She steps out with nothing but her cell phone. She gets stuffed in the trunk and perp takes off.
While riding, she realizes she may not live through this and starts thinking...
She takes off her ring and stuffs it in the crack between the back seat cushions.
Weeks later, perp drops his car off to be detailed/cleaned.
Attendant folds the back seat down to vacuum - wow, a ring. - hey, that looks just like :idea:

You just never know.

It was supposedly a photo of a photo, not a picture she took of herself. She could have possibly been deceased at the time the photo was taken and sent.

gave me the shivers to picture that scenario. ugh.

I'm not getting the discussion regarding her ring and why people think it's odd. When someone goes missing, the focus is on anything the person wore, carried, etc. The ring is probably distinguishable and it's something her family, friends and LE use as possible clue, if found. A trail.

Morgan Harrington's parents released a photo of her necklace when she went missing. Sadly, her necklace wasn't found with her body and I believe it's still missing. However, if it does show up somewhere, they may apprehend the possible suspect.

Going back to the ring, what if the perp pawned it or sold it to someone or more creepy would be if he gave it to a girlfriend or friend. I think that's why they brought up the ring, imo.

Did Katelyn live with her dad? If so, where was he that night? Also, someone mentioned a job she didn't have? I thought she had 2 jobs? Did I miss something.

I guess I just find it odd that on a Saturday night when they could have been alone together all night that they discuss their wedding plans at some point during the evening and then he leaves to burn papers at 11 or 11:30 while she prepares to go to bed for a job that she doesn't have to be at until noon the next day. And apparently she doesn't go right to bed because she's still on her phone until shortly before 1am. Or at least someone was.

I just wonder if the discussion of the wedding plans and their future together didn't go all that well and that is why he left. Or perhaps they are just not the type of couple to spend all night together prior to marriage. Hard to say.

I also wonder why we're not hearing anything about what she/they were doing during the day, prior to that Saturday evening, and who other than the BF was the last person to see her and when.

MOO

JC's sister said on another forum that they were suppose to meet with JC's parents to talk about the move to CO that night but cancelled because Katelyn was tired. So she was too tired to meet with his family but was still texting him at almost 1 a.m. DOESN'T MAKE SENSE!

They concentrated on the ring because it was "different" and they asked the community to check pawn shops etc. to see if it had been pawned.

Coming from JC's family and friend just like everything else, PD didn't mention the ring.

I can't imagine why no one has pointed out that her phone is RED. Hello? That would be a heck of a lot easier to spot/find than a tiny ring.

I can't imagine why no one has pointed out that her phone is RED. Hello? That would be a heck of a lot easier to spot/find than a tiny ring.

Red phones are not unique. If someone spots a 22 year old with a red phone, would they assume that's Katelyn's phone? However, if someone is spotted wearing that ring then there might be suspicion. KWIM

Good catch about the GPS. He must have had a way to track it on his phone or computer. Isn't there software you can purchase to track your children through their phones? It would tell if it has been shut off. That would explain a lot. LE bringing in Cyber Experts..............

I wonder if she had the same software on her computer and could track him.....

Gah! I can't believe I did not think of this before now! (Bad sleuther!) I have an Android phone and it has an app called Latitude. This same app is available for Blackberries and I have seen on FB that she had a Blackberry Pearl.

Anyway, this app enables people to track you by phone or by computer IF your GPS on your phone is on. A friend who lives out of state showed me the app and at first we were using it for fun because I was traveling a lot. Kind of a "where in the world is Inch High" type thing. I quit using it though because the GPS is a huge battery sucker. I just looked at my phone and it shows my friends location as "stale" meaning he must have his GPS turned off too. It also tells when the last update was "4 days ago" for him, now "0 mintues ago" for me. I remember thinking at the time "this would not be something I would want if I had a jealous/possessive boyfriend."

This may be how they were able to determine her GPS was turned off. And could also be why whoever took her turned off her phone. Did they know she had this app?

Here is a link about this app there is a short video that shows how it works:

http://www.google.com/mobile/latitude/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members