OH OH - Katelyn Markham, 22, Fairfield, 14 August 2011 - #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just reading this on WLWT. I see that they haven't identified the sex of the remains, but all of the suggestions in the article are females, and the two women quoted as helping in the search mentioned sandals. Perhaps they were women's sandals, which likely narrows it down a bit.

The same women are quoted as saying this location is near where Katelynn went missing, and I don't really agree with that. Franklin county is about two hours away from where Katelynn went missing in Butler county. It's possible she was transported there, but, with the Ohio river less than an hour south, and plenty of remote areas in between, I wouldn't be taking her all that way.

I guess we just wait and see. I would love to see some closure for her family....

I know this is a standard line from LE, but determining the sex should never take very long. Many bones, including teeth, are different in males vs. females.

I know this is a standard line from LE, but determine the sex should never take very long. Many bones, including teeth, are different in males vs. females.

i hope they give us at least the gender soon... then we will know if this could possibly be our girl! of course right now it's obvious, but we're at a 50/50 chance right now... so hopefully LE is as anxious to find out as we are! :)

If Katelyn is deceased, I do hope these remains are hers. She needs to be found and that will only happen by accident, like this.

I was just reading this on WLWT. I see that they haven't identified the sex of the remains, but all of the suggestions in the article are females, and the two women quoted as helping in the search mentioned sandals. Perhaps they were women's sandals, which likely narrows it down a bit.

The same women are quoted as saying this location is near where Katelynn went missing, and I don't really agree with that. Franklin county is about two hours away from where Katelynn went missing in Butler county. It's possible she was transported there, but, with the Ohio river less than an hour south, and plenty of remote areas in between, I wouldn't be taking her all that way.

I guess we just wait and see. I would love to see some closure for her family....
Reasons I can think of for someone taking a body to a remote location over state lines vs. a closer location:

1.) vs. Ohio River: Killer would need to travel to downtown location, which would be more populated. A lot of traffic on river, so more likely to be detected.

2.) vs. wooded area in Ohio: Killer may have thought that KM would be less likely to come to mind if remains found in another state.

3.) vs. wooded area in Ohio: Killer could travel greater distance via Interstate in less time. Cedar Grove, where the skeletal remains were found, is less than 45 min. from Fairfield, OH via I-74 to Rte. 52.

4.) vs. remote area in OH: Killer is more likely to go to area he/she is familiar with rather than drive around looking for an isolated spot closer to home - someone driving aimlessly is more likely to attract the attention of LE.

With this said, I'm not sure whether I believe the remains belong to Katelyn, but I hope there will be answers for her family soon, too.

THIS IS NOT 2 hours from where she went missing. FAR LESS and her BF family has a farm very close to there too. See my earlier posts for maps!

Wow, finding remains that close to the family's farm is too much of a coincidence for me.

The area would be well known to the family, wouldn't you say?

Praying for Katelyn and her family/friends.

Wow, finding remains that close to the family's farm is too much of a coincidence for me.

i wish i could "thank" you for this 435263465 times. do you know exactly how close to the farm it is? someone may have posted it earlier but i might have missed it. im following quite a few cases today! but i've been following this case since the get-go, and i think of katelyn often. i can't wait until this case is finally solved! :please:

On our local news this morning : http://www.wxix.com/story/21903985/skeletal-remains-found-in-franklin-co-creek-bed

Since they didn't upload the video (yet maybe?) I did grab my camera and record it from the couch with coffee cause I wanted to find that location, so here it is (NOT GREAT QUALITY - sorry!)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itae6vHMW_Q&feature=youtu.be

They zoomed in on this section of Big Cedar Road
http://goo.gl/maps/AEaCd

Zoomed out:
http://goo.gl/maps/DPr8h

i wish i could "thank" you for this 435263465 times. do you know exactly how close to the farm it is? someone may have posted it earlier but i might have missed it. im following quite a few cases today! but i've been following this case since the get-go, and i think of katelyn often. i can't wait until this case is finally solved! :please:

I was going by A_News_Junkie post. The second larger map looks like it is only about 30 minutes.

So the 435263465 thanks goes to Junkie!
:seeya:

"Two women who spent hours searching for Markham after she went missing said they believe the remains are hers. They asked to remain anonymous, citing safety concerns.

"We have been searching out this way," one of the women said. "It is close to where she went missing, close to some of her associations, and we have had a feeling she is over here."

The women said a pair of sandals found near the remains may belong to Markham.

"It was August (when she disappeared); she would have been wearing sandals," one of them said."

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news...ion/-/13610848/19666110/-/wuw5tf/-/index.html

At the very first, I was suspicious of him. I don't recall now what he said or did that seemed so odd - it's been so long ago - but whatever it was, it did raise some red flags right away. But, I quickly dropped that theory as there seemed to be no evidence to support it ... until now. Yep. Kind of raises suspicions again, but will wait to find what the ME determines. If it's KM, they'll be little doubt in my mind. Wish I could be a fly on the wall and see if someone's squirming yet.

sandalsl.jpg

this is an image of the shoes that the video in the link below zoomed in on. i wonder if these are the same sandals the 2 women (i mentioned above) were talking about? did katelyn have any like these? there was quite a bit of trash there... the trash doesn't necessarily have anything to do with the remains that were found. the shoes dont look like they've been there for almost 2 years..

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news...ion/-/13610848/19666110/-/wuw5tf/-/index.html

Jerry Blake, who lives nearby, thinks the bones belong to 21-year-old Monica Lemen, who was slain and dismembered in 1987. Her legs were discovered at a church a few miles from the creek, but the rest of her body was never found.

Others have speculated the remains may belong to 20-year-old Lauren Spierer, an Indiana University student who disappeared in 2011, or 22-year-old Katelyn Markham, who disappeared the same year from Fairfield.

Read more: http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news.../rsss_2.0/-/i1exjb/-/index.html#ixzz2Pv6VWFgU

BBM

Praying for these families.

I would guess between 20 and (30 tops) miles. There are several sections of that road, so depending on exactly where - could be closer even, but for sure a route traveled often to the farm!

Hinky, for sure! Time will tell................

THIS IS NOT 2 hours from where she went missing. FAR LESS and her BF family has a farm very close to there too. See my earlier posts for maps!

Is this Franklin county Indiana? The article I saw didn't specify. As I am sure you know, there is a Franklin county in Ohio, which is about two hours from Fairfield. Where the state capital of Columbus is located.

Is this Franklin county Indiana? The article I saw didn't specify. As I am sure you know, there is a Franklin county in Ohio, which is about two hours from Fairfield. Where the state capital of Columbus is located.

I know I was, like, what?

But yes, the remains were found in Indiana.

Yes, it is in INDIANA. 27 miles tops from Fairfield, Ohio. Here is map (not taking shortcuts and the way I think 'someone' went!
http://goo.gl/maps/hmYv4

Not far from Lauren or Katelyn. Much more likely to be Katelyn though in my opinion. I wonder if we are sure it is a younger female as opposed to just thinking that because of the sandals which, to me, could have been dumped?
It is a weird feeling when one of your special cases might be found or solved. I hope someone is brought peace through this find.

Not far from Lauren or Katelyn. Much more likely to be Katelyn though in my opinion. I wonder if we are sure it is a younger female as opposed to just thinking that because of the sandals which, to me, could have been dumped?
It is a weird feeling when one of your special cases might be found or solved. I hope someone is brought peace through this find.

I think it is more likely Katelyn than Lauren too and my gut tells me it is her - but that is only worth two cents on an open market! It is even possible it is Paige Johnson, but that would not make sense. Also, they have not said male or female, so could be Billy DeSilvestro too.

On the shoes, if they were evidence - I doubt the media or anyone would have pics of them, so I am guessing just trash. That area is just filled with trash dumped off the road. Somewhere in this thread I talked about searching very close to this road and we literally had kitty litter, pet bones, tires and trash of disgusting proportions. Matter of fact, this place gave me goosebumps (VISIBLE ONES) in the heat of summer and we went back several times. Also, the creek at the bottom of that ravine is the same creek or a tributary of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leledragon24