Resolved OH - Mary Jane Croft VanGilder, 43, Plymouth, 1945

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My grandmother went missing in 1945 from ohio. Her name is Mary jane croft vangilder, a investigation has recently been reopened on her disappearance. She is on namus, doe network, and the Charlie project. We have also started a Facebook page. She moved from wva to ohio for work and separated from my grandfather. She was in touch with her children via mail, and all contact abruptly stopped. We have no leads on her disappearance past 1945. Any insight or information would be appreciated dearly.

My grandmother went missing in 1945 from ohio. Her name is Mary jane croft vangilder, a investigation has recently been reopened on her disappearance. She is on namus, doe network, and the Charlie project. We have also started a Facebook page. She moved from wva to ohio for work and separated from my grandfather. She was in touch with her children via mail, and all contact abruptly stopped. We have no leads on her disappearance past 1945. Any insight or information would be appreciated dearly.

I definitely would not say anything on the Facebook page about any suspects. Concrete evidence would surely be needed for that, along with LE publicly naming a POI. Someone, even if they were a child at the time, knows something. Someone always does.

Have you contacted Social Security? They would have a record of her working if she did and also her last known address. Weren't the war plants owned by the government? Maybe they have a record some place? What have you done in your search to try and find her?
No records of social security

What exactly did SS say? I know they can be limiting and SS#s recycle every 50 years.

Q20: Are Social Security numbers reused after a person dies?

A: No. We do not reassign a Social Security number (SSN) after the number holder's death. Even though we have issued over 453 million SSNs so far, and we assign about 5 and one-half million new numbers a year, the current numbering system will provide us with enough new numbers for several generations into the future with no changes in the numbering system.
Social Security History

Q20: Are Social Security numbers reused after a person dies?

A: No. We do not reassign a Social Security number (SSN) after the number holder's death. Even though we have issued over 453 million SSNs so far, and we assign about 5 and one-half million new numbers a year, the current numbering system will provide us with enough new numbers for several generations into the future with no changes in the numbering system.
Social Security History
Ty for that info.

It's funny you mention her applying for one under Croft or Vangilder. I did find one for Mary J Croft 7/11/1911 (someone else found that, too - it's in a previous post) and I did do a search for Vangilder, Mary J (that one didn't turn up). I am thinking of multiple things, but I need to sort some of it out.

Its worth revisiting, maybe she was mistaken

Mary doesn’t seem like the type to just leave her life behind. Something bad must’ve happened to Mary Jane Vangilder in 1945. Her case is so similar to the 1952 disappearance of Ione Rehwinkle. She disappeared in Minnesota and is presumed to have gotten kidnapped

I suspect foul play is the biggest factor. So many questions, though, need to be answered. A lot of lost documents and memories can and is, hampering this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back