OH - Michael & Sharen Gravelle for child abuse, Clarksfield Twp, 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Prosecutors in Huron County are meeting Monday to consider charges against a Clarksfield Township couple accused of putting their adoptive children in cages.

The prosecutor is considering child endangerment and unlawful containment charges among others in this case, NewsChannel5 reported.
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4991513/detail.html

mysteriew said:
Prosecutors in Huron County are meeting Monday to consider charges against a Clarksfield Township couple accused of putting their adoptive children in cages.

The prosecutor is considering child endangerment and unlawful containment charges among others in this case, NewsChannel5 reported.
http://www.newsnet5.com/news/4991513/detail.html

Well, I just hope so. I can't imagine being kept in a rudimentary cage as good for anyone's health. Even if there was extreme violence this should be an order for an institution not a private residence. I can't imagine the state social workers would allow this if they knew about it.....I just can't!

Aren't mental health evaluations available before anyone is placed somewhere? This would seem mandatory to me. So, if they are, these people are just taking advantage of the system and turning to child abuse. And if they aren't shame on the state for putting these children at risk. I still say child abuse.......and greed.

Preliminary reports showed that the children are in good physical health, but investigators said they're still waiting on mental health reports on each child to determine the extent of the emotional damage.

In a written statement, investigators said, "The children were afraid to leave their 'boxes' at night, even to use the bathroom, because an alarm would sound and the parents would react in anger."
http://www.nbc4i.com/news/4990695/detail.html

Norwalk- A Huron County couple not only caged their children at night for safety - they restrained them during the day as punishment, prosecutors say.

Michael and Sharen Gravelle will be charged with mistreating the children, but it could take weeks, after psychiatrists and physicians examine the children, County Prosecutor Russ Leffler said Monday.

The Gravelles say a licensed social worker approved the enclosures because of the children's self-destructive behavior. Their lawyer, David Sherman, has characterized them as loving parents who were helping children in desperate need.

Investigators said they are waiting for medical reports to assess the extent of the children's emotional harm before filing charges.

"A lot more information is needed to determine felony charges," Chief Deputy Bob Sutherland said. "There is sufficient information for misdemeanor charges."

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/1127208613165580.xml&coll=2

No, these parents weren't qualified to handle extremely aggressive children. The State should never have allowed this. Their brand of punishment is dehumanizing and unthinkable. This is the time for qualified people to come in and deal with this and not dole out supplements to every jackass out there who says they will help.

The biological children of a man accused of making his eleven adopted children sleep in cages say they aren't shocked by the news.

Jenna and Jesse Gravelle recall a difficult upbringing in the home of Michael Gravelle, who forced them to pay rent as teenagers and find their own food.

Jenna Gravelle also alleges that her father sexually abused her.
http://www.ohionewsnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=3891875

Jesse Gravelle, who is estranged from his father, said that when he last tried to reconcile with his father in the mid-'90s the Gravelles didn't have any adopted children.

Lt. Randy Sommers of the Huron County Sheriff's Department took statements from Jenna and Jesse Gravelle last week and said they seemed credible. Both say they will testify if called.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=1154252

The case of special needs children being kept in cages by their adoptive parents has prompted a discussion about the way Ohio oversees the children in its care.

Barbara Riley, director of the Ohio Department of Job and Family Services, says the state is investigating whether the system worked properly when 11 children ages 1 to 14 with conditions such as HIV and autism were placed with Michael and Sharen Gravelle of Wakeman.
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?ID=244759&r=0&Category=11&external=&newCookie=yes&userID=124067

On New Year’s Eve 1998, Ireka Thomas left her five children with a friend, saying she had to “cash a check,” according to court records.

She never came back.

Her children found their way to the home of Michael and Sharen Gravelle, who eventually adopted the three youngest siblings, records show.

Now that Huron County officials are investigating allegations that the Gravelles kept their 11 adopted children in cages in their Wakeman home, the aunt of the three Stark County children said she wants to know what went wrong.

The social worker said “they were better off where they were,” Sandra Bell of Canton, the aunt, said. “I don’t see that.”

Overall, the Gravelles were able to meet the children’s needs, but the adoption was postponed twice as the couple said they needed help in getting the children to bond with them, the court file shows.

By May 2001, the two older children were removed from the Gravelle home at the couple’s request and placed in therapeutic foster care: “They felt they could not help all the children in their home,” a case review concluded.
http://www.cantonrep.com/index.php?Category=15&ID=245083&r=0

Ummmmm. No. I was just posting the first site that I saw that had a picture of the restraint beds. If I hadn't had experience with a brain injured individual, I would have never known such a thing existed. Pardon my mistake.

Ewwwww!

JMHO

An attorney for the parents who kept some of their 11 children in cages has released photographs showing the kids laughing and playing in a home full of toys and gifts on holidays.
David Sherman showed more than 20 photos to The Plain Dealer newspaper to illustrate, he said, how allegations of neglect and abuse by his clients are unfounded
http://www.nypost.com/news/nationalnews/55095.htm

Apparently things are not so cut-and-dried as we thought when the first newspaper article appeared. I will be interested to hear more details. (I also saw those pictures in the PD, and the children did look happy and well cared for.)

More than six weeks after having their 11 special-needs children removed from their home, Michael and Sharen Gravelle came out of hiding to tell the world their side of the story.

"We took kids that nobody else wanted," Michael said while giving a tour of their rural home near Wakeman to a Plain Dealer reporter and photographer on Sunday. "We're trying to help children. That's where our heart is."

David Sherman, the Gravelles' Westlake lawyer, was not aware of Sunday's tour. The Gravelles have not been charged with any crime, but custody hearings are scheduled for Thursday and Dec. 6. The children are in four foster homes.

This was the first time that the parents have spoken to the media about the children they adopted, who suffer from behavioral disorders ranging from defiant rages to a craving to eat nonfood items.

The Gravelles pointed out holes the children had kicked in the walls and gouges in the drywall from their fingernails. Urine stains can be seen on the baseboards, and the walls still show marks where the children had smeared their feces.

"We live with this smell," Sharen said. "We love these children."

Michael said he could no longer remain quiet while people label his wife as the "world's most evil mother." Prosecutor Russ Leffler said Friday that the couple was adopting children for a financial windfall.

"You could not pay me enough to do the things we had to do," a tearful Michael said. "There is nothing easy about raising these children. We did not abuse them. That's the truth."

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/113014622355200.xml&coll=2

mysteriew said:
More than six weeks after having their 11 special-needs children removed from their home, Michael and Sharen Gravelle came out of hiding to tell the world their side of the story.

"We took kids that nobody else wanted," Michael said while giving a tour of their rural home near Wakeman to a Plain Dealer reporter and photographer on Sunday. "We're trying to help children. That's where our heart is."

David Sherman, the Gravelles' Westlake lawyer, was not aware of Sunday's tour. The Gravelles have not been charged with any crime, but custody hearings are scheduled for Thursday and Dec. 6. The children are in four foster homes.

This was the first time that the parents have spoken to the media about the children they adopted, who suffer from behavioral disorders ranging from defiant rages to a craving to eat nonfood items.

The Gravelles pointed out holes the children had kicked in the walls and gouges in the drywall from their fingernails. Urine stains can be seen on the baseboards, and the walls still show marks where the children had smeared their feces.

"We live with this smell," Sharen said. "We love these children."

Michael said he could no longer remain quiet while people label his wife as the "world's most evil mother." Prosecutor Russ Leffler said Friday that the couple was adopting children for a financial windfall.

"You could not pay me enough to do the things we had to do," a tearful Michael said. "There is nothing easy about raising these children. We did not abuse them. That's the truth."

http://www.cleveland.com/ohio/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/113014622355200.xml&coll=2
.......no way will I every buy this b.s. No child should be caged. IMO, the way this case is being handled/not handled is a crying shame! :furious:

jannuncutt said:
.......no way will I every buy this b.s. No child should be caged. IMO, the way this case is being handled/not handled is a crying shame! :furious:
How many of these children have you adopted? Are you planning to?

Linda7NJ said:
How many of these children have you adopted? Are you planning to?
I would never adopt children like this because I know that I am not qualified to care for them. Neither are these people. Children should not be caged - it is not alright under any circumstances.

jannuncutt said:
I would never adopt children like this because I know that I am not qualified to care for them. Neither are these people. Children should not be caged - it is not alright under any circumstances.
I would rather see a kid caged than in a residential facility strapped down on a hospital bed unable to even scratch their nose or so medicated they appear nearly comatose. I've seen the latter two, I would choose the cage.

Linda7NJ said:
I would rather see a kid caged than in a residential facility strapped down on a hospital bed unable to even scratch their nose or so medicated they appear nearly comatose. I've seen the latter two, I would choose the cage.
I have seen children in residential facilities who are not strapped down, who are able to scratch, who are medicated but not near comatose. I would never choose a cage.

Makes me sick these "parents" haven't been charged. They were unqualified providers from the word go.... never should have been able to adopt these children. :furious:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader
Back